Thread: Question about IF page

maimarni is offline Junior Member

Question about IF

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone,

I am just wondering... does IF really help you lose weight? I have been IFing for the past week, eating only between 1pm and 7pm. (all I have is water and 1 cup of black coffee in the morning) But in the back of my head there's always the little CW voice telling me in order to keep your metabolism working, one should eat every 3 hrs or else the body starts storing/holding on to body fat to prepare for the next fast.

How do you guys feel about that or what are your experiences?

BTW between 1pm and 7 pm I eat lots of vegetables, proteins and fat. (salads, avocados, salmon, butter etc)

I have been primal for 125 days now and gradually became more strict (no more fruit, no more nuts, hardly any dairy and no sugar at all except for a weekly small treat that is a cookie or something like that).

Thanks in advance!

Omni is offline Senior Member
    IF is a tool to assist with weight loss, but ultimately it always comes down to calories in vs calories used.
    Those that that practise IF do it for a lot more than just weight loss, it helps the healing process by not having the body focussed on digestion constantly, allows more down time for repairs.
    If you read through the following three threads you will get a much better idea ow why others do IF
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread27894.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread28459.html
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29011.html

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Are you male/female? Results will vary according to gender.

Nady is offline Senior Member
    IF has always worked well for me I keep my eating window at 5-6 hours, occasionally eat just one meal a day (24hr. fast)

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    IF is a tool to assist with weight loss, but ultimately it always comes down to calories in vs calories used.
    I disagree. There are various causes of weight gain. Here are some responses I did to a similar statement:

Response to: Main reasons people become a "porker"

What causes weight gain?

Factors for weight gain other than diet
    Last edited by JamesS; 08-15-2012 at 05:45 AM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    IF is great for health. Its OK for weight loss.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maimarni View Post
    But in the back of my head there's always the little CW voice telling me in order to keep your metabolism working, one should eat every 3 hrs or else the body starts storing/holding on to body fat to prepare for the next fast.
    I hear that same voice. Weird, huh?

I sort of fell into IF after awhile, before I really even knew what it was. I found primal after the 6 small meals a day, eating every couple of hours, and always being hungry, and going to bed hungry, waking up hungry.... I was losing weight steady, a great pace actually but it was very tiresome always thinking about food & always being hungry. I just felt there had to be a better way and my research brought me here.

I didnt read any of the IF threads, not until I fell into it and figured out that is what it was.

I usually fast until lunch most days. Sometimes dinner. I started out with BP coffee, now sometimes I dont have any coffee at all.

As far as weight loss, this has been a crazy summer. I have been trying to fine tune and learn that if I eat this, this happens. And we have had lots of company over the summer, so I have been up and down all summer, but IF helps to get me back on track. I know not to use it as a crutch to undo damage, it is not my ticket to eat poorly, but there were times over the summer that I might have something like pizza or hamburger bun and within a few days to a week of IF, I was back on track. Could be a coincidence also, just time for that stuff to work it's way out of my system.

So anyways, I have lost about 9 pounds over the course of the summer, which is probably about the time I started IFing. (This does not include the gaining 3, 4, 5 pounds after a weekend, and then having to lose that all over again.) For the most part, I dont miss breakfast. There are times I get hungry sooner than my window should open. If I ignore it, it usually goes away, but if I can't I just eat early. Overall, I eat fewer calories over the course of the day, even when I have BP coffee. But seems like if I start the day early with breakfast, even if it is a protein breakfast, I end up with more calories at the end of the day. Not excess, I can reign it in with my choices, but still I seem to want to eat more and I push my calories to the max.

As far as health benefits internally, I am hoping it is doing good stuff. I started out for the weight loss, so that is my focus, mostly because of lack of education to all the other things that could be going on inside. So I am hoping I am enjoying all the other benefits as well.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

fatisyummy is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    But seems like if I start the day early with breakfast, even if it is a protein breakfast, I end up with more calories at the end of the day. Not excess, I can reign it in with my choices, but still I seem to want to eat more and I push my calories to the max.
    This is how it is for me too.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    IF is a good tool for some of us. I like big meals that fill me up. Eating breakfast or several small meals makes me have to watch portions too closely. On IF, I can enjoy large, satisfying meals, and keep a caloric deficit or maintenance level much easier. Before IF, I was doing 5-6 small meals every day. I did this for years. I now weight 20 pounds less than I did, partly due to paleo/primal diet and IF. Neither seem to have hurt my metabolism one bit.