Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight on restrictive diet vs. eating in moderation page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Gaining weight on restrictive diet vs. eating in moderation

Primal Fuel
    Question, literally since starting paleo full on about a week ago or so, I have already put on 3 pounds. I have revamped my diet to be "healthier" and more restrictive, but I have gained weight, WHY! I really believe that when I am eating more in moderation I lose weight so effortlessly; I don't obsess over every calorie, every carb, every gram of fat and amount of sugar, but I enjoy. Isn't this the reason why the French paradox works so well?

Anyone have any insight into this? Always when I travel to Europe I tend to lose weight, yet I walk more and exercise WAY more in the states than I do in europe. I really feel it is the restrictive nature and I want to get my head out of this right now so I can get back to my old ways! HELP

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Can you post a typical day's diet, plus height, weight, exercise etc?

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    Sometimes people coming from a vegan/raw food background who have eaten larger portions but low calorie food may have a stomach that is a little stretched, so when they start eating smaller but higher calorie dense foods they can overeat and gain a little until they're stomach adapts. I've only usually heard of it from raw foodists who eat in massive bulk to get their calories. Maybe try adding more vegetables and fruits.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think this diet isn't right for you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I'm not even clear what type of advice you're asking for. It seems your mind is already made up and you know what you want to do.

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    Question, literally since starting paleo full on about a week ago or so, I have already put on 3 pounds. I have revamped my diet to be "healthier" and more restrictive, but I have gained weight, WHY!
    Well, looks like you'll have to make a choice, if you haven't done that already as mentioned.
    You can either eat natural, whole Primal foods and at the same time watch your calorie intake (you might have to also keep your carbs low). Primal, low-carb or whatnot at the end of the day the calories matter.

Or, you can eat the "hearthhealthywholegrains" and low-fat, low calorie CW type of diet since the French paradox works well for you.
    To me it's all about long-term health, so I have made my pick.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    Question, literally since starting paleo full on about a week ago or so, I have already put on 3 pounds. I have revamped my diet to be "healthier" and more restrictive, but I have gained weight, WHY! I really believe that when I am eating more in moderation I lose weight so effortlessly; I don't obsess over every calorie, every carb, every gram of fat and amount of sugar, but I enjoy. Isn't this the reason why the French paradox works so well?

Anyone have any insight into this? Always when I travel to Europe I tend to lose weight, yet I walk more and exercise WAY more in the states than I do in europe. I really feel it is the restrictive nature and I want to get my head out of this right now so I can get back to my old ways! HELP
    Why change what you think works, you're happy with, is effortless, makes you slim and fit and healthy for something you call "more restrictive". If you want to "get back to your old ways" - I think you may be on a hiding to nothing.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    What's your pattern of eating while you are in Europe vs when you are in the States? In other words, when you are at home, do you have access to the kitchen and cook your own foods, bring them along vs when you are in Europe you have to pay for every bite you eat (and with a huge surcharge) and therefore minimize the # of meals you eat per day and when you lifted your seat off the chair in the cafe you are done? I find that eating out paradoxically, given the better choices and eating a-la carte restricts food supply more adequately than when you are at home and not used to staying home within a striking distance of the kitchen.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    ya I am not sure why you will want to continue on something so restrictive if your cw way is working so well.

I mean are you trying to convince other people? because it sounds like you have already convinced yourself.

To reiterate what other posters have said,

1) this is not a diet, eating natural unprocessed whole foods is or should be a lifestyle that has been shown through studies and simple common sense to be healthier for most people. It could aid in weight loss or management as well.

2) Calories at the end of the day matter. Eating natural unprocessed foods makes it easier to manage your calorie intake. Low carb/high fat/moderate or high protein has been proven to work for so many people re weight loss and makes thing even much easier while monitoring calories.

3) You do not understand what this "french paradox" you so often speak of means. Because if you had an inkling of what it meant, you would know that it was a study on the link btw saturated fat and heart disease, not weight control.
    So I do not know how you continue to blindly talk about the french eating grains and drinking red wine and losing weight in connection with the french paradox. This is misleading and it is very irritating because you have been corrected numerous times and you still repeat the same information

4) But if we were talking about how the french manage to as a whole have better control of their weight despite eating grains and drinking wine then refer back to point number 2. They are also more active generally and have a culture that promotes a stressfree lifestyle. I will go further and add that just because you see/saw a snippet of people eating that way when u go to restaurants and/or cafes, does not mean that they eat that way all the time and remain slim. Do they eat a diet high in vegetables and different kinds of meat including organ meats? Um this is a place that made duck liver mighty famous for petes sake! lol

If you don't like the primal/paleo way of eating then don't eat it. It is really as simple as that. Just don't trump up misleading facts to support why you do not like it. So many people like to add unnecessary stress to things that should be relatively stress free. Granted, I do it too sometimes especially when it has been so hard to find a way for me to lose weight long term since I gained tons of weight when I quit smoking. I get it. But u are sorely mistaken if you think primal/paleo is restrictive. Well I get it is in the restricting your intake of toxins and junk processed garbage I guess.
    Last edited by Lawyerchick12; 08-14-2012 at 10:15 AM.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I think part of your problem is seeing this as a restrictive diet. If you remove grains, sugar, and bad oils, there's only 100,000 other things to eat. Perhaps you're struggling because eating this way is stressing you out? I don't feel restricted, we just focus on eating whole foods with some processed items here and there (ice cream, chocolate).

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast