Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Gaining weight on restrictive diet vs. eating in moderation page 5

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by palebluedots View Post
    I agree with the others, your post is downright confusing. I'm almost starting to wonder if you're just trolling. If you're interested in the science, then read some books! There are plenty out there (on both sides of the spectrum), so read them and make an informed decision. It doesn't seem to me that you're here for support or education. I'm not really sure what it is you're looking for.
    Honestly I have every book on nutrition out there. I used to suffer from a lot of digestive problems, still sort of do but not as bad, and I am just downright confused. I am told one diet by some nutritionist, to not eat animal protein because it does not promote healing and then others say eat as much protein as possible. I have been trying to figure these things out on my own as well and have all of the right books. I come here to ask for advice because I get caught up in both directions, get caught up with weight loss/weight gain, how my stomach feels, how to better heal myself, how to feel more energetic. I apologize for coming off as confusing and I am surprised by the number of members here who are putting me down for questioning everything. This is not a cult, this is nutrition and I am generally confused like many people who come searching for advice here.

I appreciate the people who are guiding me by their personal experiences.

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    Bullsh!t. I spent a LOT of time in your last thread, and I did NOT confirm it, at least not in your CW context. This is what I said:

"It" is not calories in/calorie out, not in the CW sense. The magical "it" is TWO things:

1. Change your body to burn fat instead of carbs. That is, match your power plant to your fuel. This takes about a month, and you need to go through carb flu, even if it's mild.
    2. Then, AND ONLY THEN, is "it" calories in calories out, and ONLY if those are matched calories.

Make yourself a fat burner, and THEN let's talk calories.

If you want to go back to CW and moderation and chronic cardio, well we can't stop you. You might even lose some weight. But it will take a toll on you in other ways.
    Thank you Oxide for your posts, appreciate your help.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    VeggieLover, have you had Carb Flu yet? IMO this is the biggest indicator of whether you are seriously Primal, whether you are doing it halfway (won't work), or whether you are looking for validation that Primal is not for you (probably wrong forum).

I'm sorry to bust up on you, but this is a pet peeve of mine. Could we please STOP with the "natural whole unprocessed foods" bit? It seems to show up in everyone's condescending "I don't put poison in my body, so there" primal creed. And yet, it is a LOUSY indicator of whether something is Primal.

Wheat berries are a "whole and unprocessed" food. I used to eat them raw.
    You "process" bone broth and rice exactly the same way for the same amount of time. Which is Primal?
    Bacon is more "processed" than whole wheat bread.
    Kombucha and saurkraut and yogurt are fermented just as much as tofu.
    Corn on the cob is as whole and unprocessed as it gets. I used to eat it raw. Is it primal?
    What's the difference between extracting oil from soybeans and extracting oil from coconuts?
    What about the difference between coconut milk and soy milk? Both processed, both "natural" from plants.
    Look at the box of natural ice creams. Cream, sugar, fruit. All nice and "whole." And wholly not primal.

You can get diabetes on whole and "unprocessed" CW.

Here is the Primal terminology we should be using.

Fat comes from coconuts, butter, olives and animals/fish ONLY.
    Carbs under 100g/day, from fruits and vegetables ONLY.
    Dairy in small amounts, preferably fermented.
    Tree nuts in tiny amounts.

This captures what ingredients you should eat and what ingredients you should not eat, regardless of processing.
    I don't have time to rebut all your presumptions with your rant. Suffice it to say that u did not "get" what I meant and ur rant is also your opinion not fact.

Now i am officially done with this thread #procastination is a bitch #bored #yawn

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    Honestly I have every book on nutrition out there. I used to suffer from a lot of digestive problems, still sort of do but not as bad, and I am just downright confused. I am told one diet by some nutritionist, to not eat animal protein because it does not promote healing and then others say eat as much protein as possible. I have been trying to figure these things out on my own as well and have all of the right books. I come here to ask for advice because I get caught up in both directions, get caught up with weight loss/weight gain, how my stomach feels, how to better heal myself, how to feel more energetic. I apologize for coming off as confusing and I am surprised by the number of members here who are putting me down for questioning everything. This is not a cult, this is nutrition and I am generally confused like many people who come searching for advice here.

I appreciate the people who are guiding me by their personal experiences.
    No one can say eat this, don't eat that, do this, don't do that, and have it "work" for everyone. We are all different. Different foods, different exercise, different lifestyles affect individuals differently.

What I suggest is to find a path/plan that resonates for YOU. Then decide to work the plan for a predetermined amount of time, say six weeks. After that time re-evaluate how things are going. And, IMO, scale weight should not be high the evaluation checklist, especially if the body needs to heal from deficiency, illness, or medical condition.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Primal is not rocket science. It's a whole lot of veggies. A little bit of fruit (like berries if you're so inclined) and meat and fat. Make a list of the veggies you like, the meats, poultry, eggs and fish you like, the fats you like (nuts, avocado, meat fats...) and the berries you like and put them in a list. Eat from that list - a meat, a fat and a veggie or two or three all meals. Fruit once a day. Avoid anything in a can, a jar, a box or any other unnatural container and eat only things the grew in the ground or who ate something that grew in the ground. Do this for a month and report back. Oh yeah, it's called the Whole 30 (well, if you take out the fruit).
    Last edited by Andtckrtoo; 08-17-2012 at 06:43 PM.
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    This is not a cult, this is nutrition and I am generally confused like many people who come searching for advice here.
    You are actually not interested in the advice here. Not unless the advice you get is to carry on with your current assumptions. You should read the Primal Blueprint. Click on the Start Here button and read the stuff Mark has posted. He links out to lots of research.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    I don't have time to rebut all your presumptions with your rant. Suffice it to say that u did not "get" what I meant and ur rant is also your opinion not fact.

Now i am officially done with this thread #procastination is a bitch #bored #yawn
    I'm sorry, lawyerchick.
    However, I stand by my assertion that Primal is NOT "whole and unprocessed;" at least, it is no more whole and no less processed than so-called healthy CW. So I don't feel comfortable trying to tell CW how whole and unprocessed we are. They could be equally whole and unprocessed. We need a better definition.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345