Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaining weight on restrictive diet vs. eating in moderation page 2

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I think part of your problem is seeing this as a restrictive diet. If you remove grains, sugar, and bad oils, there's only 100,000 other things to eat. Perhaps you're struggling because eating this way is stressing you out? I don't feel restricted, we just focus on eating whole foods with some processed items here and there (ice cream, chocolate).
    Alright, I don't really know what is happening to my body AT ALL! I literally am gaining weight yet i am walking SO much more on top of going to the gym to run 5 miles 5 times a week. For example I calculated that I walked about 8 miles the other day, that can happen most days just because I am on my feet and my job involves me being outdoors and running errands/ picking up supplies etc.

I even put what I ate into a calorie counter the other day and reached about 1400 calories, and that was with the paleo diet. Because I have some digestive issues that I am addressing with my nutritionist ( I am protein deficient yet at the same time my live cannot digest protein--- major issue but we are coming to a conclusion this week on how to approach), I eat more carbs than I do animal.

For example: Breakfast would be berry smoothie with protein powder or sometimes I just eat some gluten free crackers with almond butter (not many lets say like 8 or 10 mini ones total, about 80 calories for those crackers on their own). Today I had a big raw salad with flax oil and vinegar

Lunch; usually have a salad, maybe just some fruit, maybe just some hummus and crackers (which is what I did today and also some with almond butter, and also just had an apple), handful of nuts maybe?

Dinner is where I eat a lot of cooked veggies, some sort of animal protein.

I walk so much and then remember that I have gone to the gym to do more cardio, if it really came down to Cals IN/OUT (like in my other post) then I should definitely be losing a ton of weight!

I am confused. very very confused.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Have you read the The Primal Blueprint?

The following is not "Primal":

Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    -walking ...on top of going to the gym to run 5 miles 5 times a week
    - the paleo diet
    - some hummus and crackers
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I find that if I don't eat enough, I gain weight. I know it sounds counterintuitive, but it's been that way for YEARS. If I'm feeling hungry a lot, that week I will either maintain or gain. If I'm not hungry a lot between meals because I'm eating more during them, I will lose weight.

What you are eating does not sound very healthy. Crackers are extremely processed and should not be eaten regularly - even gluten free ones. Sounds like your carbs are way high overall as well. I'm not sure how to help when your liver has issues with protein. Maybe try upping the fat and cutting the carbs? With all of your activity, you are not eating enough. Why are you running 5 miles 5 times a week? Do you enjoy doing so? Have you read the book? What you are doing is classic chronic cardio and is not helping you lose weight. Drop the running down to 1-2x/week IF you enjoy it. Start lifting weights those other days.

Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    Have you read the The Primal Blueprint?

The following is not "Primal":
    YES have read it, i posted here to discuss eating in moderation (what I want) vs. primal. Now bringing up OTHER points. I'm sorry but everyone has confirmed it is calories in / calories out, sure exercising a lot is not primal but that does not mean it shouldn't lead to weight loss if you do a ton of cardio.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    YES have read it, i posted here to discuss eating in moderation (what I want) vs. primal. Now bringing up OTHER points. I'm sorry but everyone has confirmed it is calories in / calories out, sure exercising a lot is not primal but that does not mean it shouldn't lead to weight loss if you do a ton of cardio.
    Yes, yes it does. Try reading "Why we get Fat" or other books like that. There is way more to weight loss than simply CICO. If it was simply CICO, I guarantee you there would be a lot fewer overweight people in this world.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    I am not "everyone," and I don't confirm that it is simply a matter of calories in and calories out. You can check other threads to see that there are many on both sides of that question.

Obviously if what you are doing is not working for you, you need to make adjustments.
    Try what some of the other posters have suggested for a few weeks, and see if that doesn't help:
    Do less cardio.
    Don't eat any processed food, No added sugar, No legumes (hummus), No crackers (bread etc.).
    Add more fat.

If you want to adapt what is discussed in The Primal Blueprint to "eating in moderation" (what does that mean anyway? Eat sugar in moderation? eat crackers with hummus in moderation?) - where you pick and choose what advice to follow (i.e. what to eat and what not to eat, how much to exercise, how much not to exercise), then I don't think you can expect the results that others might experience who do follow the recommendations.

That's my two cents.

As an example - me - I eat about 50 to 60 % of my calories from quality fats, about 80 to 100 grams of protein per day, sometimes I add cheese to an omelete or beef burger, and the rest from vegies like tomato, salad greens, asparagus, spinach and stuff like that with the odd piece of fruit or berries, some dk chocolate once or twice a week and a glass or two of red wine per week. I do minimal exercise and I lose weight.
    Last edited by jojohaligo; 08-15-2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    giggle
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Really, eating MORE promotes weight loss? Seems
    So hard to believe, think about when people starve themselves they don't get fat, they lose all muscle mass etc. obviously that is an extreme case but just to back my point a little.

I love running actually and don't do it because I need to lose weight. It's an activity that I enjoy and love to challenge myself in that respect. I'm sure there are others on this site that are runners following a paleo approach.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    No, that would elevate cortisol, leading to, on average, ten pounds of weight gain. Running is inflammatory, unnecessary and time-consuming. Too much stress. For me, anyway.

I eat about 3000 calories a day and easily lose weight when I want to, by cutting out most carbs for a few days. Not by running, hitting myself in face with a stick, or eating crackers, in order of preposterous-ness.
    Last edited by Knifegill; 08-15-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

denise is offline Senior Member
    people will get cross if you keep saying "paleo" - sorry, just saying. It's not the same. Its quite different in fact.

I'm not sure what you want us to say?? "You are an anomaly". "The "rules" don't apply to you".. I don't know. I feel your anger and frustration, but you aren't primal per se and so .... I'm not sure how to help.

Maybe TRY following what people say on here, even if its counter-intuitive, for several (as in quite a lot of) weeks and see??? Go to the books even and copy some recommended meals?? Take a leap of faith?? Then if it really "doesn't work", you can return to what you like doing, lose the weight, be happy and write us all off as nutters??

BTW, I run, I love it. I don't run a 10k every day of the year any more like I used to, but I do a couple of long runs a week and run sprints maybe one other. No problem there from my perspective. BUT its not about calories used, I just .... like it, it makes me as happy as playing ultimate frisbee or something for someone else.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast