Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can I still lose fat & weight if I cheat on ice cream (~1 cup) once a week? page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I have been indulging in ice cream this summer with the super hot weather. It's cooler now so the craving is gone. I have slowly lost 15lbs since January. Just realize the more you indulge the 20%, the slower you will lose. To me, it's worth indulging here and there because that helps me avoid feeling deprived or gorging.

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    When I cheat with ice cream, I buy a one serving size container. That way it is already portion controled and I won't feel guilty about a treat.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I mix coconut cream, bananas and frozen strawberries in the blender. I freeze the leftovers and now I nuke the leftovers until it softens a bit and put it back in the blender to whack away the crystallized stuff. It's pretty tasty but I don't fool myself I'm going to lose any weight eating it. I have a very modest portion.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Personally I prefer not to indulge. That "only" one portion turns into a pint or even more. That's just me though. If you are able to exercise portion control, and stick to having it only once a week then go for it.

scarabnight is offline Member
    If you're going to do a store bought instead of making your own, Clemmy's offers full fat no sugar. It does have xylitol which Mark has posted here. The coffee one is awesome for that occasional splurge.
    ~Kelly

"In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks"
    -John Muir

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I like to go to a frozen yogart place where they serve you a portion. If that is the only indulgence I have, yes I can still lose weight. But it's a slippery slope for me
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    After a couple weeks of close to 100% Paleo, exercise and slowly losing weight to 1 lb below my goal weight, I have no problem whatsoever eating up to 1/2 gal of my favorite ice cream, usually Haagen Daas or Turkey Hill All Natural. If it takes a few months off my life span, so be it!

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    You will lose weight if you're still at a calorie deficit throughout the weak. A big bowl of ice cream has a lot less calories than a ribeye steak, so adding a bowl of ice cream to your meal is less than that of a ribeye steak. If you're not losing weight, cut something out of your diet to make up the ground.

I recommend you purchase an ice cream maker and make your own ice cream. You can control the ingredients and caloric content, all while producing a superior result. There are some decent ice cream choices out there with 4 or 5 ingredients, but I still find them all sickeningly sweet. I strongly prefer my own.
    Chocotaco, I still need some with making ice cream. I had some ben & jerrys yesterday and the taste taste and texture was just so perfect even though they use low fat milk. Would this be possible without all the oils & other crap?
    Billie trips balls

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Chocotaco, I still need some with making ice cream. I had some ben & jerrys yesterday and the taste taste and texture was just so perfect even though they use low fat milk. Would this be possible without all the oils & other crap?
    Commercial ice cream makers are able to get that "perfect texture" even with low-fat milk because their machines allow them to whip air into the mixture. This is called "overrun" and can vary from 30-100%. At 100% overrun, that means half the volume of the ice cream is air. The contents measurements on ice cream is actually a VOLUME MEASUREMENT, not a WEIGHT MEASUREMENT. Take half a gallon of Haagen Hazs and half a gallon of Turkey Hill to the produce section and weigh them on a scale. You will find Haagen Dazs weighs far more despite the same volume, meaning it contains much more cream, milk and egg, whereas the Turkey Hill is mostly air (and no egg). You get what you pay for indeed!

Home ice cream makers don't have the ability to whip air into the ice cream. To get good texture, it often requires more fat, more sugar and the use of alcohols and stabilizers (like gelatin) to play with the melting point. What are your goals with fat content? A few tricks I picked up:

6 tablespoons of 80 proof alcohol is good for lowering the freezing point with low-sugar ice cream. Vodka will provide no flavor. Spiced rum accompanies vanilla ice cream well and I'll do 3T rum/3T vodka.

When heating your custard, add 1 packet of unflavored Knox gelatine. Whisk vigorously and allow to sit overnight to thicken into pudding.

Reserve 1 cup of heavy cream til the end. Fold the heavy cream into the now pudding-like custard.

Whip the whole mixture with a hand mixer for a minute right before freezing. This helps get a little air in it.

The more real sugar you use and the higher fat content, the less alcohol you need because sugar and fat doesn't freeze in a normal freezer. The lower you drop your fat content, the more gelatin and alcohol you will need to maintain consistency. Very low fat ice cream seems to fail for me if I use milk, but I can use 1% kefir from Trader Joe's with great results because it is so thick.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Commercial ice cream makers are able to get that "perfect texture" even with low-fat milk because their machines allow them to whip air into the mixture. This is called "overrun" and can vary from 30-100%. At 100% overrun, that means half the volume of the ice cream is air. The contents measurements on ice cream is actually a VOLUME MEASUREMENT, not a WEIGHT MEASUREMENT. Take half a gallon of Haagen Hazs and half a gallon of Turkey Hill to the produce section and weigh them on a scale. You will find Haagen Dazs weighs far more despite the same volume, meaning it contains much more cream, milk and egg, whereas the Turkey Hill is mostly air (and no egg). You get what you pay for indeed!

Home ice cream makers don't have the ability to whip air into the ice cream. To get good texture, it often requires more fat, more sugar and the use of alcohols and stabilizers (like gelatin) to play with the melting point. What are your goals with fat content? A few tricks I picked up:

6 tablespoons of 80 proof alcohol is good for lowering the freezing point with low-sugar ice cream. Vodka will provide no flavor. Spiced rum accompanies vanilla ice cream well and I'll do 3T rum/3T vodka.

When heating your custard, add 1 packet of unflavored Knox gelatine. Whisk vigorously and allow to sit overnight to thicken into pudding.

Reserve 1 cup of heavy cream til the end. Fold the heavy cream into the now pudding-like custard.

Whip the whole mixture with a hand mixer for a minute right before freezing. This helps get a little air in it.

The more real sugar you use and the higher fat content, the less alcohol you need because sugar and fat doesn't freeze in a normal freezer. The lower you drop your fat content, the more gelatin and alcohol you will need to maintain consistency. Very low fat ice cream seems to fail for me if I use milk, but I can use 1% kefir from Trader Joe's with great results because it is so thick.
    I use about 30 grams of coconut sugar per pint. I use full fat milk and heavy cream. Your measurement of gelatin is for half a gallon right? How much is 1 package? I live in the netherlands so I don't have that brand of gelatin nor do I know how much a packet is, do you know the amount of gelatin in grams?
    And thanks for the rest of info
    Billie trips balls

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast