Thread: frozen fruit - pasteurized?! page

SarahW is offline Senior Member

frozen fruit - pasteurized?!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm new to the primal thing, so feel free to critique my approach as you see fit:

On mornings when I don't feel like making eggs, or when no one has done the dishes recently, I like to make breakfast by filling up the blender with spinach, pouring coconut milk over it, mixing that up until the spinach is all blended, adding in some frozen fruit, and then putting the blender down to the lowest setting and mixing in an egg for a few seconds.

Sometimes the frozen fruit is strawberries and blueberries and maybe some mango that I got from the mango tree in my backyard this summer. But a few months ago (before I ever heard of primal) I found in the frozen section of Publix little bags of pureed tropical fruits, some by Goya and some by the other major hispanic brand I can't remember the name of. They are mostly orange or purple fruits which I also can't remember the name of, only that I know when I see them in the produce market I give them a wide berth because they have tentacle looking things or spiky rinds or whatever (I'm originally from the Midwest, okay?). And the little frozen packages are dirt cheap, regularly going on sale for a buck each. Anyways, the front of the package says 100% fruit, so I thought it was okay, but I've learned to read packages carefully, and the other day noticed in small print on the back that it says that the fruit has been pasteurized.

Pasteurized frozen fruit? It's frozen, it's fruit, why pasteurize it? I did a quick google search and all I came up with was the stupid "food safety" line. I'm still befuddled.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if frozen pasteurized fruit is worth eating. The Vit. C is something I don't really care about, I was more interested in the antioxidants and such that are in tropical berries (and the deep pigment and strong taste which masks the green spinach even in very small amounts). But if the pasteurization kills off all the benefits, then these nifty cheap things become nothing more than flavoured sugar, yes?

So frustrating, and here I thought I found an easy way to break out of the standard apples&bananas rut.

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Why not just buy the fruit whole and freeze it yourself?
    -Chuck

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Don't buy pureed fruit. How can you know what the hell is in it, or the quality of the fruit if it's already been blended to mush?

onalark is offline Senior Member
    I can think of one reason it might be pasteurized -- the listeria outbreak with cantaloupe in December:

CDC - Multistate Outbreak of Listeriosis Linked to Whole Cantaloupes from Jensen Farms, Colorado - Listeriosis

And once you take something and start pureeing it, on who knows what machinery, which may have been used to puree who knows what else...then yeah, pasteurization starts to sound like a great idea.

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    Why not just buy the fruit whole and freeze it yourself?
    ...um, did you read the part where I explain I'm from the Midwest and I find the whole fruit of these types pretty frightening? Not to mention, they are usually a complete PITA to peel and pit. Since I live in the tropics the local paper had an article recently about how to eat lychees, since some people have them growing in their yard. I read it carefully, and at the end decided I would only use the information if I was starving in the rainforest somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie
    Don't buy pureed fruit. How can you know what the hell is in it, or the quality of the fruit if it's already been blended to mush?
    Yeah, but I've never seen this sort of fruit sold in any other form but pureed, except the whole fresh form sometimes available at the hispanic produce market I go to, and see above for my feelings about that.

Quote Originally Posted by onalark
    I can think of one reason it might be pasteurized -- the listeria outbreak with cantaloupe in December:

CDC - Multistate Outbreak of Listeriosis Linked to Whole Cantaloupes from Jensen Farms, Colorado - Listeriosis

And once you take something and start pureeing it, on who knows what machinery, which may have been used to puree who knows what else...then yeah, pasteurization starts to sound like a great idea.
    Listeria, bah. Yeah, but I had some training in food safety. As long as they wash the whole fruit first (to wash off any possible sh*t that the farmer workers left on them) and then puree them through a stainless steel industrial size food processor which gets sanitized once every 24 hours, and then immediately freeze it...but I suppose these days it's easier to just take shortcuts, because it's going to be pasteurized anyways. Ugh.

No, but seriously, what effect does pasteurization have on antioxidants and other such micronutrients in fruit? And if the Goya papaya is being pasteurized today, how long until my regular frozen Publix strawberries and blueberries get pasteurized too?