Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is there a carb gray area? page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Why is there a carb gray area?

Shop Now
    If you keep your carbs low you can eventually adapt to it and feel energetic and alert like normal again. At the other end you can eat more carbs and feel energetic and alert so long as you don't go too low carb for too long. But then there's that gray area where you can't seem to adapt to lower carbs and you feel tired or weak.

How is it there is this gray area where it's difficult to adapt, where you just bounce around miserably forever, never adapting, never improving? Can you ever get over that and adapt to the gray area?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    .... what?

I didn't quite follow your question, but I'm guessing it has something to do with not everybody being the same and many other variables at play.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Funny. You are talking about the gray area of car quantity. When I read the post title I thought you were talking about the gray area of carb quality.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Is it real? I know that I have never entered that blessed realm of low carb happiness. Maybe folks in the gray area just can't have happy fat methabolism or have to stop eating all carbs altogether to get there or something like that? Or maybe it's like that miserable transitional zone between anaerobic and aerobic cardio.....
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Paleobird Guest
    SB, you might want to check out Dr. Peter Attia at The Eating Academy website. He calls what you are referring to the "Zone of Misery".

Yeah, the Zone of Misery. Why does it exist? That's what I'm wondering.

Paleobird Guest
    As I understand it, it's kind of like perpetual carb flu that never ends because you aren't fully in ketosis for a long enough stretch to make the transition complete.

Dr. Attia also notes that it can result from going overboard on the protein portions.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I think it really depends on the person. I get depressed if I'm vlc (20-30g) for more than a week. And we're talking thinking of running away from my 2 adorable kids and wonderful husband depressed. After a month it was only getting worse so I added carbs back in.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    I adapted to low carb the first time I did it...every time I have tried since then I have remained in this zone of misery---so I totally understand your frustration! I have resorted to eating carbs---and even some GF grains again, but I feel good, so I'm not going to focus on my weight unless it gets concerning again!

I am wondering why it exists at all. Not complaining about being in it. It seems arbitrary.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast