Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is there a carb gray area? page 2

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I've been lucky - never had the carb flu, hope I never will!

But my guess would be it's the foods not the carbs. Different (all primal) carbs affect me very differently. Some knock me out, as in, I really need a nap! Others don't affect me at all. Fruit carbs are a whole different ballgame than regular veg carbs, and starchy veg again another story.

If I were having difficulty I would vary the foods, do a modified elimination varying the carb sources, and see what worked best.

Just a thought!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Hmm interesting. I don't even think I HAD a "carb flu" at least, not one I noticed, and I pretty much dumped most carbs in one fell swoop. The only carbs I get now are a bit from veg and fruit. I don't even know if I get over 50g a day (honestly, I don't track that well lol) I just eat when I feel like it, and what I feel like... and sometimes probably don't eat enough veggies (due to working evenings/chasing around after kiddies etc. and lack time to always prepare a great meal). I have eaten a couple of high carb veggies a couple of times (ie some potato on the weekend, and some sweet potato and parsnip another weekend) which probably gave a bit of a boost on those days...

So yeah, maybe some people have these issues and others don't? I can't say I feel "perfect", but then again I've been primal not quite a month yet (but enough time to experience a carb flu, surely?).

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I am wondering why it exists at all. Not complaining about being in it. It seems arbitrary.
    I too would like to get a better understanding of the metabolic function that occurs in this transition.
    As far as I can tell there are a number of factors at play and each have switch over at various stages and these can be almost seamless in a perfectly adapted individual, but in most of us the timing is not always synchronized:
    1- Insulin resistance, delayed release of fatty acids into bloodstream
    2- Muscle Glycogen stores to be depleted and switch from primarily glucose to ketones, then to fatty acids
    3- Water loss due to both lower insulin and reduced glycogen causing upsets in electrolyte balances, sodium, potassium & magnesium supplementation may be required
    4- Liver firstly metabolising it's glycogen stores to maintain blood glucose level for brain, then going into glucogenesis to provide glucose for essential non ketone brain functions.
    5- Brain switching over to predominant ketone and only minimal glucose consumption.

Like a perfectly tuned vehicle (automatic), it smoothly changes gear as you accelerate, but if it is out of tune it hunts for the right gear, reving hard in a lower gear, but is underpowered in a higher gear and keeps jumping back & forward, so I imagine we are much the same.

One of the key indicators I think would be fasting ability, if you can do daily 24 hour fasts without any discomfort, particularly if there is a good workout early in the fast period, then there is a likelihood that you should transition into ketosis much more easily. If the situation is considered on an evolutionary basis, an individual that was severely disabled because of a change in dietary mix would not have been very succesfull, yes there would be some transition, but it should not be debilitating.

The other consideration is pre existing health conditions, eg. Insulin resistance, Leptin resistance, diabetes, obesity, autoimmune, estrogen dominance or anything else for that matter, as all these things usually involve hormonal imbalances usually and it is the adjustment of hormone levels which tell the body what to do, so any imbalances will most likely be expressed as aggravated symptoms during a transitional shift to ketosis.
    That's where I am currently, but still looking to fill those knowledge gaps.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have noticed that it's much easier to switch to fat-burning or ketosis when I'm doing endurance exercise that's relatively strenuous and lengthy (like hiking). I have no idea if I actually am in ketosis, but it does feel like I'm burning fat for energy. I get to a state where I am expending way more than I'm taking in but without any feeling of starvation. I have never had carb flu when I'm doing extended long-term endurance activities (a few days or more.) And if I do feel like I'm in a borderline carb flu state, endurance exercise seems to energize and restore me.

I sometimes read Barefoot Ted's forum and there are a lot of distance runners there. Many of them are very adamantly in favor of low carb and very low carb. I think maybe there is a link with aerobic fitness, endurance activities and greater tolerance of the "zone of misery".

Anyway, it seemed like that zone of misery didn't make sense. Why should it be such a sharp either/or dichotomy between the two states? But maybe it is related to our sedentary lives.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Anyway, it seemed like that zone of misery didn't make sense. Why should it be such a sharp either/or dichotomy between the two states? But maybe it is related to our sedentary lives.
    I think it is a combination of both sedentary lifestyle and long term carb dependence that causes atrophy of our fat burning machinery, so to "tune up" we need to address both of those issues, for some it may be a matter of weeks, for others it could take years, but it should be possible to switch between Glycosis and Ketosis without too much discomfort.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I also get stuck having to choose one or the other. Seems like it would be an evolutionary disadvantage - if evolution is at play. It might just be our bodies having been fed so much garbage for so long. But I, too, must either be high-carb or very low carb to feel good, energy-wise. Not much middle ground.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I kind of wonder now if the whole "chronic cardio" message makes it harder for people to adjust to the carb curve as recommended by Mark. I think people get confused between chronic cardio and the recommendation for slow movement. Jogging, bike commuting, hiking or similar things might make the transition easier for people.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    I think it really depends on the person. I get depressed if I'm vlc (20-30g) for more than a week. And we're talking thinking of running away from my 2 adorable kids and wonderful husband depressed. After a month it was only getting worse so I added carbs back in.
    me toooo!!!!! Had to up carbs but have found recently that I can manage happily on 45g ish, but no lower. Too miserable - true depression.

Somehow makes me feel better that i am not alone, I thought maybe the awful feelings were "true" - but they were just a result of ... "diet related chemicals" I guess.
    Last edited by denise; 08-14-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I find that 5HTP supplement (serotonine) helps with low carb depression, but it does take a few weeks to stabilize the mood, and a carb-up messes things up. I am going to try 60 g or less (1/2 body weight) of carbs with 5HTP supplementation and see if I can avoid the black moods.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    SB, you might want to check out Dr. Peter Attia at The Eating Academy website. He calls what you are referring to the "Zone of Misery".
    This guy is awesome...and not exactly hard on the eyes, either.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast