Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: So after reading marks post about coffee today, i have a query. page 2

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Coffee is not paleo. it is not a "whole food". It contains significant doses of a psychoactive drug.

Why is this even a topic for discussion?

If you want to drink it, go ahead and drink it, but don't try and fool yourself into thinking its either natural or healthy.
    This isn't a paleo forum.

It is a primal blueprint forum. Primal is what Mark says it is. He says coffee is fine.

Many studies have found health benefits from coffee.

It is most obviously a "whole" food.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    Primal is what Mark says it is.
    Then all this has no more value than any other personality-led "because I say so" diet. The plain fact is that coffee is not in any way shape or form a primal food.

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Although I do love a good coffee and usually have 1-3 good size mugs per day, I do have to agree with DeeDub.
    If you like your coffee go for it but to try and convince yourself or others that it is for health reasons is a bit of a stretch.
    Mark probably likes his coffee too, and probably treats it as part of the 20% not so primal part of the diet.
    As for health benefits, you could get more studies to show the benefits of consuming Canola oil.

Quarry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    This isn't a paleo forum.

It is a primal blueprint forum. Primal is what Mark says it is. He says coffee is fine.

Many studies have found health benefits from coffee.

It is most obviously a "whole" food.
    Well said.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    As a person of neanderthal descent, I would have eventually found something to aid my focus. Neanderthals pretty much always had potent plants around, often caffeine-containing ones. One downside to having a great sensory system and a brain that notices everything is a loss of focus. That's where the caffeine and similar substances have always filled in.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeeDub View Post
    Then all this has no more value than any other personality-led "because I say so" diet. The plain fact is that coffee is not in any way shape or form a primal food.
    "Primal" is a freaking brand name for whatever Mark happens to say it is. Since he just had a post about delicious coffee on this very website, today, I'm pretty sure it's primal. The jury is decidedly mixed on whether or not it's a health food.
    It's also a whole food by any definition I can think of.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

KerryK is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    Try Crio Bru instead. It's roasted ground cacao nibs that you brew like coffee. More antioxidants, lower acidity. Just a sugestion
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Sounds like rich people food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Bork Bork View Post
    What? Crio Bru? It costs about the same as a good bag of joe-- about $6 or $7 for 12 oz (also it's produced here in Utah, so of course I'm all about promoting a local product ).
    Crio Brü and Crio Beans are Rich in Antioxidants, Minerals and Natural Energy - Healthy Chocolate for Healthy Living

P.S. ignore the Dr. Oz poster.
    I'm on an incredibly tight budget but this product looks/sounds so fabulous I'm definitely going to try it for my next 'splurge'. I can't wait! I'll try the Cavallo first. Sadly, with shipping it's more than double $6 or $7... Oh well.

Now I have to try and sift through some of your prior posts to see if there are other nuggets like this suggestion that I may have missed.

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Coffee has numerous adverse effects on health. I have posted on these several times:

coffee

coffee

Carcinogenic properties of coffee.

A great example of how research can be manipulated

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Yes, but you are also biased. Perhaps when you were a little, impressionable boy somebody made a sad face when talking about coffee and you are forever scarred because of it. It's a plant product. You run water through it. If coffee is the devil, then so is tea, and so is spinach. Grow up.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

JamesS is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Knifegill View Post
    Yes, but you are also biased. Perhaps when you were a little, impressionable boy somebody made a sad face when talking about coffee and you are forever scarred because of it. It's a plant product. You run water through it. If coffee is the devil, then so is tea, and so is spinach. Grow up.
    Yes, I have been scarred by real research studies. Please forgive me my Lord.

I guess everyone does not realize that you can run hot water through any plant. And drinking the water after doing so with many plants can make one ill or kill them.

And let's not forget all the antinutrients in coffee such as its high oxalic acid content and polyphenols to name a few. The caffeine that raises uric acid, the protease inhibitors and phytoestrogens that anti-soy proponents claim are toxic, etc.

But the real irony of your post is the fact that caffeine crashes the adrenals. Since the adrenals produce our anti-stress hormones crashing your adrenals with all that caffeine can cause people to lash out in anger over small things like someone posting research studies on the adverse effects of coffee.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast