Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: My Epilepsy Experiment. Anyone else have seizures? page 4

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodhi View Post
    Both of them are on meds. My son has been seizure free for almost 8 months. My grand daughter's last seizure was about 3 months ago. I bought the book "Ketogenic Diets" for my daughter so she could look into put the grand daughter on the diet. But she is a really picky eater. My son is 30 years old. I've preached the diet to him, but he's not interested.
    The Atkins version of the ketogenic diet that they are using at Johns Hopkins is much less stringent and easier to follow than the classical keto diet was but the results are just a good. This Modified Atkins Diet(MAD) is 64/30/6 f/p/c, as opposed to the 80/10/10 of the original. That would be hard to stick to. The MAD is not that different from regular Primal, just really strict on the carbs but it allows you to have a good amount of protein not just fat with a side of fat.

I imagine that the MAD would also be much easier to get a child to stick with.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    ahh yes I'm already finding that putting those gf grains back in has caused me to be more depressed lately and put on a few pounds to boot. Thanks for the reminder to stay primal!

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    ahh yes I'm already finding that putting those gf grains back in has caused me to be more depressed lately and put on a few pounds to boot. Thanks for the reminder to stay primal!
    I think that's great that you are that self aware. I wish I had known about primal when I was your age.

Paleobird Guest
    This morning about 5am I was rudely awakened by one of my pre-seizure auras. I was able to wake up fully fast enough and make it stop with the assistance of my wonderful dog. He gives me enough lead time that I wouldn't have alone by pawing at me and whining and licking my face.

My first though was, darn, it's the lower med dose then I saw my pill box and realized that I forgotten to take my pills entirely last night. That makes two times in a week. I just don't do that. I never forget my pills. I think on some subconscious level I am rebelling against taking them.

It's good to know that it wasn't just the lower dose causing the problem. I'm going to stick with the 25% reduction for a little while and try to be good about taking them consistently and let things settle down for a while.

I love your dog!

I rebelled against my drugs in college and am pretty sure I ended up seizing one night (broken blood vessels under my eyes were usually a tell-tale sign.) I just got too lax and didnt "want" to be medicated. I also drank too much some nights, which only made it all worse. Go slow! Break pills if you can too! I still have meds in my cabinet even though I dont take them anymore---just in case.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Fingers crossed.

Paleobird Guest
    I love my dog too. He earns all the grain free kibble and steak scraps he could want and then some.

It's very easy to feel like the drugs are being imposed on you. When I first started having seizures I was in college and it was the school medical center that dispensed the Tegretol that I had such nasty side effects with. When I told them how horrible it made me feel, they basically told me to be a good little girl and take my pills or they were going to call the DMV and have my driver's liscence yanked. This is despite the fact that they knew I only have seizures in my sleep. Grrrrrr.
    So I took the pills until graduation and then tossed them in the nearest bin and just went unmedicated. I kind of went through a pissed off at the world phase then, too much partying etc.

I did have a party at my house last night and had a couple of glasses of wine (one should be my limit). That was probably a factor that wasn't helping any last night. Have you been told to limit alcohol?

I was told years ago , before I was even of drinking age, that alcohol would interfere with my meds and could potentially induce seizures.

I was told my license would get yanked as well...so it was definitely a scare tactic to help me stay medicated (but I wasnt driving my first three years of college---no car access---so I think I threw caution to the wind.) I never got my license pulled cause I didnt report those instances, just started taking my meds again.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    I was told years ago , before I was even of drinking age, that alcohol would interfere with my meds and could potentially induce seizures.

I was told my license would get yanked as well...so it was definitely a scare tactic to help me stay medicated (but I wasnt driving my first three years of college---no car access---so I think I threw caution to the wind.) I never got my license pulled cause I didnt report those instances, just started taking my meds again.
    I had a great neuro at Kaiser here for years that believed that nighttime seizures did not need to be reported to the DMV because, even though they are legally obligated to report every *loss of consciousness*, he said you can not lose that which you don't have and so technically you are not conscious while asleep so you didn't lose anything.

So I thought this was Kaiser's policy. My neuro retired and they gave me a new one. The first (and only) time I reported a seizure to her, she notified the DMV and I had to got through this idiotic process to get my license back. I had to take the written test and do the in the car test again. What exactly does me proving that I know how to parallel park and use my turn signals appropriately have to do with having a seizure????

It's such a stupid system where you can't even be open with the person who could possibly be helpful to you. I was angry at the new neuro and explained to her, "You do realize that this means that I will never tell you anything ever again?" She is young and hides behind, "those are the rules". Such a stupid system.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I had some good neuros over the years...one wanted me to go off the meds and said I could do it under HIS direction, so that if I were to seize he said he would cover for it and I would NOT lose my license. Despite that promise I still didnt want to go off of it...I didnt feel ready that time. (I was eating a rather SAD diet heavy in dairy in gluten, and perhaps that was actually the best choice at the time.)

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast