Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk page

Ouaouaron is offline Senior Member

Coconut milk

I've been reading about the value of Coconut milk. It is clear that the milk in cans is good but what about the half gallon milk that is sold everywhere now? Is this worth buying and drinking (unsweetened)?
    An optimist is someone who falls off the Empire State Building, and after 50 floors says, 'So far so good!'
    -Somebody funny

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    No. It's watered down and nasty. I haven't personally drank the canned stuff, but I have drank the cartoned stuff. It's not good. I get Golden Star canned from Walmart, open the can from the bottom, drain off the water, and use the thick stuff for blending with fruit (it's thick like greek yogurt). Yummy.

Of course, you could shake the can before you open it to reconstitute the cream and water, but I haven't had it that way, so I don't know what it's like.

Avoid the brands that include guar gum or zantham gum and the like. It won't separate into cream and water with the emulsifier in it. Plus, it's an additive you don't necessarily want.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    Yea I wouldn't buy the stuff in the half gallon carton either, usually has a bit more "ingredients". I like Native Forest because the cans are BPA free. I love coconut milk, I put it in my coffee and cook chicken in it. Yum.
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

mzteaze is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cavebabymama View Post
    Yea I wouldn't buy the stuff in the half gallon carton either, usually has a bit more "ingredients". I like Native Forest because the cans are BPA free. I love coconut milk, I put it in my coffee and cook chicken in it. Yum.
    This tends to be my favorite brand as well.

I want to try to make it myself since its supposed to be easy to do.

RaeVynn is offline Senior Member
    I make my own, now.

It's really easy. I found instructions online, but basically, get some unsweetened shredded coconut - our local food co-op has it in bulk for about $3 a pound. I can make a couple of gallons with that.

Put two cups of coconut in a quart jar... fill jar with filtered/pure water. Let sit overnight (it will swell a bit. leave some room. put a lid on it. dump it into a blender jar if necessary). In the morning, blend in the blender until really smooth (I've gone as long as 24 hours before blending. and, I blend about 2 minutes). Pour into a nut milk straining bag that's in a large bowl or measuring cup or something like that (I get mine at paint stores... nylon paint strainer bags work GREAT!), hang bag up over bowl and let drip awhile. Then, wash your hands, and squeeze the bag to get all the lovely milk out.

Pour into a quart jar, put a lid on it, and refrigerate it. Shake really well before using.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    I don't trust the co-op. And a box of Aroy-d coconut milk is only 80 cents.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Danielfire is offline Senior Member
    anyone done research on the brand in Australia? Thanks, I have been using cans, ayam, now I wonder.

redrose is offline Junior Member
    @ Danielfire......I've also been using Ayam brand as it's the only one I can find without the nasties! I made my own once but wasn't real keen on it.... I've just ordered a Ladyship blender/juicer so I'll try making it again when I receive it.

AuroraB is offline Senior Member
    I make my own. It's just simpler for me and then I know exactly what I'm getting. I put 1 cup of unsweetened shredded coconut (from Tropical Traditions) and 2 cups of boiling water into my high-speed blender and whip that for about a minute. Dump it all into a stainer lined with a muslim dish cloth over a bowl. Twist and squeeze it to get every last drop.

The 1:2 cup ratio is just what I tend to like but you could mix it up to get the consistency or thickness that you like best. I usually mix this with the almond milk that I make in the same way. I use it in my coffee and to bake/cook with. Totally unsweetened, totally yummy!

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I make coconut milk using fresh coconuts. Just crack open a coconut, pour the coconut water into your blender, then scrape out the white flesh into your blender and bend it all up. Tastes so yummy. :-) Use more or less of the water depending on how thick you want it to be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast