Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diet making me sick? page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Hello! I'm a newbie to this whole paleo thing, and have recently taken to eating low carb (two days ago). I have always been a pretty big grain eater, and recently became a veggie for a short time to see how I felt, (not to bad actually, but maybe I only got away with it as I'm young and active. I actually ate a little less grain as a veggie than on my Americanized diet, but I digress).

Anyway, I decided to give low carb a shot, and I currently feel kind of sick. After giving up my beloved bread, pasta, beans, etc, I've been feeling nauseous, got a bit of the runs, and also feel light headed.

Is it normal to get sick like this at first? I've pretty much been only eating eggs, meat, and lots and lots of butter with the occasional odd veggie tossed in.

If this is normal, please tell me it won't last too long XD

Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

jermicide is offline Member

try eating a lot more raw brightly colored vegetables... spinach, tomato, broccoli, etc.. if you're eating MOSTLY meat with an odd vegetable every now and then, you're missing a lot of vitamins.

Plaid Dad is offline Junior Member

Yup, totally normal. We call it the "low-carb flu." The first three to five days are the worst, at least in my experience. Hang in there!

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Just what is "low carb flu," anyway? It didn't hit me until after 2+ weeks eating >100gms carb per day. I even went home from work yesterday, feeling weak, light headed, foggy-brained. I'm sure I'm getting enough calories, so it's not that, and I take mulitvitamin/mineral supps so it's not that. Is it my fat cells releasing toxins into the bloodstream, and my body not used to dealing with all those toxins?

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Low carb flu is when your body begins to switch over to running on fats. Before that, however, it's desperately trying to keep itself running on glucose, and since you're not providing it much anymore, it freaks out. It's like kicking a bad habit. Most of the carbs we cut out (grains, beans) have opioids in them, which behave in a similar way to heroin. Low carb flu is carb withdrawal, and it's just like coming off heroin in some ways. It gets better. I will say that if you cut your carbs down to the bare nothing (20g or less per day) it also goes away faster.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I've read that glutamine can help provide a temporary fuel source for the brain during transition (also helps prevent low blood sugar) and carnitine can help your body to utilize fats for fuel more efficiently, cutting down on the transition time.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    I second the L-glutamine suggestion!

I am essentially on and off the primal wagon several times a month which means that I actually go through the "low-carb flu" quite often (there's a high carb one too, it's worse). I recently read some stuff about L-glutamine and reduced cravings ect. and I though "why not?"

I think that it helped a lot with the most recent transition as I didn't really feel any "symptoms" that I normally feel. I would definitely recommend it. Even if it's just the placebo effect, it's still better than trotting off to the bathroom a few times a day while feeling nauseous the whole time and craving carb foods that you don't even really like.

Toothgam is offline Junior Member
    I was on the diet for 6 months and had my blood work done. Unfortunately my cholesterol went to 248 and they wanted to put me on Lipator. I added Oatmeal back and made sure my meats are super lean and more fish. Hopefully that number will go down.

Repicheep is offline Member
    Out of a backpack, but Paris, France/Colorado
    There's a lot more to cholesterol than just the number, you may be doing much better than you think. You should talk to Griff; he made a really excellent post explaining cholesterol awhile back.

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Toothgam View Post
    I was on the diet for 6 months and had my blood work done. Unfortunately my cholesterol went to 248 and they wanted to put me on Lipator. I added Oatmeal back and made sure my meats are super lean and more fish. Hopefully that number will go down.
    Total cholesterol is not a good measure of heart disease risk. You need to look at the individual lipoproteins (HDL, LDL and LDL size) as well as triglyerides.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast