Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Explaining nutrition to someone who can't understand that corn is a grain

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    139

    Explaining nutrition to someone who can't understand that corn is a grain

    Oh dear. I'm a medical transcriptionist and I go on a forum board for MTs. Someone posted a thread asking for opinions on Medifast and I came back and said, it's a bad idea and you should instead eat real whole foods and cut out all grains such as wheat, corn, etc.

    The response I got was "How do I never eat bread again and how is corn not a grain?"

    Wow. I'm going to try, because she did open the door by asking, but wow.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,187
    I seriously don't understand how people think it's so impossible to not eat bread. Eat everything else you normally put on bread, only eat it without the bread. Presto. Now you're eating without bread.

    _-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    45
    This confuses me too. I understand that we can be creatures of habit....but, every once in a while try something different. I have been loving this restaurant that serves grass fed beef burgers wrapped in lettuce with everything I enjoy on a "burger".

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    MD
    Posts
    546
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravyboat View Post
    I seriously don't understand how people think it's so impossible to not eat bread. Eat everything else you normally put on bread, only eat it without the bread. Presto. Now you're eating without bread.
    It's true, but at the same time I understand some people having a hard time wrapping their heads around it, just from a habit-based perspective on the world.

    When I started I was very sad about pesto, because I love(d) pesto, and pesto on sweet potatoes or cauliflower just did not compute for me. Now I never think about pesto. Until someone writes Presto and it makes me think of pesto.

    I think that harder than the people who just can't imagine it are the people who think they're really impressively denying themselves by only eating good bread. Or who eat better food but won't give up grains. "Oh, I've cut back on bread too!" they say, munching doritos and having croutons on salad and eating cereal in the morning. Sigh.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

    beachrat's new primal journal

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Cleveland, OH
    Posts
    1,187
    Quote Originally Posted by beachrat View Post
    When I started I was very sad about pesto, because I love(d) pesto, and pesto on sweet potatoes or cauliflower just did not compute for me. Now I never think about pesto. Until someone writes Presto and it makes me think of pesto.
    I'm sorry for your loss. Maybe I should put a trigger warning on my post.

    _-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    593
    Quote Originally Posted by beachrat View Post
    It's true, but at the same time I understand some people having a hard time wrapping their heads around it, just from a habit-based perspective on the world.

    When I started I was very sad about pesto, because I love(d) pesto, and pesto on sweet potatoes or cauliflower just did not compute for me. Now I never think about pesto. Until someone writes Presto and it makes me think of pesto.

    I think that harder than the people who just can't imagine it are the people who think they're really impressively denying themselves by only eating good bread. Or who eat better food but won't give up grains. "Oh, I've cut back on bread too!" they say, munching doritos and having croutons on salad and eating cereal in the morning. Sigh.
    I had to read your post a few times before I realized you meant you missed pesto because you didn't know how to eat it on something other than bread... I was like 'What is wrong with pesto??' I put two globs on my salad just now, it makes a great dressing too.

    As far as corn, it's not intuitive that the soft yellow corn on the cob you grow up eating is a grain. But yeah if you make someone think about popcorn then they get it!

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Johns Creek, GA
    Posts
    559
    Stop trying to explain it to other people. There is no need to preach. Live life for yourself and enjoy the fact that you found Primal Living.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

    My Journal
    My Journal

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    New Mexico
    Posts
    139
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Stop trying to explain it to other people. There is no need to preach. Live life for yourself and enjoy the fact that you found Primal Living.
    I try not to preach, but the door was opened by the other person asking the question. It has lead to some interesting responses and at least one other primal/paleo person also adding to it. The original poster seems to be very interested, so hopefully I've planted a seed.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,228
    Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Stop trying to explain it to other people. There is no need to preach. Live life for yourself and enjoy the fact that you found Primal Living.
    +1 or just tell them to read the book

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Calgary, AB
    Posts
    5,783
    I would always say to that person to try it for 6 weeks and see for herself. Corn as a grain vs not a grain is not so much nutrition as semantics. If you'd like to go all nutritional on her tell her to avoid starches and gluten proteins.... I find that the easiest way to start the conversion is to simply eliminate foods containing any flour.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •