Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: help me cut calories page 4

Leida is offline Senior Member
    EDIT: My last edit, I promise! Overall, you need to address not cutting calories, but balancing your appetite & eliminating foods that artificially inflate it. You are at the weight that does not prevent you from losing (i.e. you are not so devoid of fat that your body holds on to fat from your description). You can start losing if you rebalance your appetite & be willing to experience hunger once in a while.

It varies from person to person. Some people satiate on fat, but they usually consume tiny amount of calories. They are those folks who eat like 70% from fat and can't for the life of them go over 1000 calories a day, and get stuffed, just stuffed on that fat. If you want to see if you belong to this group, try having a fat fast day, by eating coconut oil or unsalted butter all day long, by a tbsp or two every time you get hungry. See if it keeps you full for a day and how many cals you would consume.

Increase in fat also is done by dropping carbohydrates and sugars and your wine/cheese/chocolate are a no-no for appetite restriction done that way. The foods that combine sugar and fat are normally appetite inducing. Very few people satiate on nuts; most can eat insane amount of calories from cheese, chocolate and nuts; much less from eggs and salmon. If you are eating cheese, soft cheese, like Bree or goat cheese is better for satiation than hard cheese like Cheddar + look for organic versions without all the suspect coloring and additives, which could trigger gods know what reactions, including inducing appetite.

The fat quality is also important, and bacon is not exactly great source of good fat. Pork is the least preferred of all meats pretty much. Fat from bone marrow, salmon, O3-rich eggs, coconut oil on the other hand....

For a lot of people, volume is the mechanism of satiation, so they do much better with a high volume of low carb vegetables added to fat.

Finally, a lot of women who were traditionally deficient in protein (i.e. the group who ate Source Yogurt as their main protein intake and limited their meats to 50 g a serving) sometimes need more than recommended amount of protein from non-sweet source to start feeling full.

Satiation is a tricky issue and very individual, you need to experiment with what leaves you full. Try eating a can of wild salmon (or broiled salmon) or 4-6 eggs with some greens. See if you feel fuller than after cheese and chocolate....

Overall, if it tastes sweet it is likely to be appetite inducing. Salt is also likely to increase appetite.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-15-2012 at 07:04 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

KKDMB is offline Member
    People have given some really solid advice here, and I don't think you need another person to echo the other posters' recommendations to cut the dairy, nuts, wine, etc. The only thing I would add is that you could try upping your protein. You're sedentary, so it may not be "necessary" per se, but Robb Wolf recommends to a lot of folks taking in right around 1g/lb body weight (not just lean body mass). We all have different protein needs and some are fine with the low-end of Mark's recommendation of .7g/lb of lean body mass, but some do require more for satiety.

I agree with the others and you can up the carbs a little, and just eat more vegetables, period. Also, thank your lucky freaking stars that you can maintain 135lbs on 2400+ calories a day. That is... ridiculous. And really lucky for you.

Now, I would say that your calories aren't being used very wisely and it isn't surprising that you're still hungry. I too can demolish close to 1lb of meat in a sitting, so that's all good. But if you want to eat 12oz of meat, sausage isn't a good idea if you're trying to lose weight, nor is 7 pieces of bacon in a day, nor is half a cup of heavy cream. I would tell you to cut the bacon, sausage, and heavy cream consumption in half and add more protein just for satiety's sake.

If you're new to PB, that much fat intake is great for you to jump in, get started, and switch your metabolism, or to maintain weight. It is not conducive to losing weight. Bump up your vegetable and protein intake (or don't, Saiorse always gives wonderful advice. I'm just going with what Robb Wolf has said for those looking to lose weight) and cut down the fat. 40-50% of daily calories is more than enough. If you're calorie-restricted and therefore burning body fat, your body is getting a high-fat meal ALL THE TIME. When you're happy with your weight, feel free to kick the fat back up again, since then you would be wanting to burn the fat in your stomach and not on your ____(insert body part here).
    Live Clean, Love Hard. Or vice versa.

Female! Height: 5'10.5" HW: 161 SW: 135 CW: 124 GW: Whatever number my body wants to be when I'm eating and moving well - trying to get that muscle mass up.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Daemonized View Post
    I see that bacon is on your food list. Bacon is a very calorie dense almost everyone that I've seen talking about hitting plateaus is a regular bacon eater. Sausage and cheese are also very calorie dense and easy to over do.
    Eh, bacon is also usually full of crap that you don't want to eat, either. I think that's more reason to avoid it than the calories imo.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KKDMB View Post
    Also, thank your lucky freaking stars that you can maintain 135lbs on 2400+ calories a day. That is... ridiculous. And really lucky for you.
    I just keep coming back to this - I am so envious!

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by girl8351 View Post
    Here I thought the blueprint advice for hunger was to eat more fat!
    More fat than the average low fat dieter maybe. No one really needs +100g of fat a day. You can keep your hunger at bay and keep your hormones happy all the while losing weight with fat more in the 0.5-1g/lb body weight.

P The only thing I would add is that you could try upping your protein. You're sedentary, so it may not be "necessary" per se, but Robb Wolf recommends to a lot of folks taking in right around 1g/lb body weight (not just lean body mass). We all have different protein needs and some are fine with the low-end of Mark's recommendation of .7g/lb of lean body mass, but some do require more for satiety.
    I agree with the others and you can up the carbs a little, and just eat more vegetables, period.
    0.7g/lb lbm is more than sufficient for someone not exercising. And I agree that 1g/lb body weight might be necessary for increased satiety, especially if you are doing cardio and weight training. But if you are going to up protein, something else needs to give. Upping protein without lowering something else will only increase calorie intake.

I also agree you could eat more carbs and veggies. Again, something would have to give in order for you to do that otherwise you'll just be increasing calories overall. I would again suggest lowering your fat intake.

Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    I just keep coming back to this - I am so envious!
    Some people have higher calorie burns because of NEAT. I am about 130lbs and maintain on 2000-2500 calories a day without exercise.

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    Some people have higher calorie burns because of NEAT. I am about 130lbs and maintain on 2000-2500 calories a day without exercise.
    Forgive my ignorance - what is NEAT .......... and where do I get some from (ho ho)??

Mind you, I can maintain on 2000+ WITH exercise, so I'm not as badly off as some. BUT take out the moving about, lifting etc and I can't.

(added later) Ah, "non exercise activity". Yup, do that, lots of it.
    Last edited by denise; 08-15-2012 at 12:13 PM.

cali798 is offline Junior Member
    I have found coconut oil to really reduce my hunger dramatically and increased my metabolism/energy. I never thought I would be able to do IF, but if I use and eat coconut oil I can almost skip breakfast most days! I am seriously a three meal a day person and with a SAD eating style I was a 5 meal a day person. Hope that helps. As someone mentioned earlier your body is different that others and you have to play with items until you get it right. So far it is not working so change up something and see if that works. Good luck!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It is not conducive to losing weight. Bump up your vegetable and protein intake (or don't, Saiorse always gives wonderful advice. I'm just going with what Robb Wolf has said for those looking to lose weight) and cut down the fat.
    awww...well aren't you sweet!

i'm around the same height and weight, but i eat less protein (which is still considered high by most standards); usually around 1/3-1/2lb per meal. my husband gives me a hard time about eating "so much." this incessant snacker/boredom eater finds it much easier to deal with hunger if i eat a late meat-sufficient/high-vegetable breakfast that stuffs me, then nothing until dinner (dinner being about the same), and a small low-carb snack before bed. i just finished my breakfast of curried meatballs on a bed of wilted baby spinach, and i think i'm going to add half a sweet potato for satiety. if i absolutely have to eat during that window of hunger, i munch on sweet bell peppers, cucumbers, salad (no nuts or cheese) or berries. this ends up being around 1500 calories per day, which is really low considering that my norm is 2000-2400 cal/day. it only takes a few weeks of this to get down to the size i prefer (not sure about weight, my scale stopped working).

I was just thinking, that beef sausage has quite a few carbs for being sausage. i wonder if the OP is eating sausage which is decent, and it's just that you can't find decent sausage in the tracker?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234