Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for month long fasting advice. page

TorMag is offline Senior Member

Looking for month long fasting advice.

Shop Now
    I have been doing IF daily for about 13 weeks now, I also have type II diabetes. Even though I have lost almost 100 lbs in the last 11 months, I am still diabetic. I was searching around the other day to see if Fasting is not good for Type II's when I stumbled across an article on the LA Times web site. Here is the link

Type 2 diabetes cure, extreme diet - Los Angeles Times

Short article, but this was the most interesting part.

Roy Taylor, head of the magnetic resonance imaging unit at Newcastle University in Britain, and his colleagues studied 11 patients who had developed diabetes later in life and who had had it for several years. The patients averaged 220 pounds at the beginning of the study. Each was put on a 600-calorie-per-day diet that included a special diet drink and non-starchy vegetables, such as broccoli, asparagus and cabbage. The diet was followed for eight weeks.

Taylor reported Saturday at a San Diego meeting of the American Diabetes Assn. and in the journal Diabetologia that, after one week on the diet, each of the patients' fasting blood sugar, taken before breakfast, had returned to normal. At the end of the eight weeks, the patients had lost an average of 33 pounds and had no signs of diabetes. Three months after returning to a normal diet, seven of them remained free of the disease. Average weight gain in that three months was 6.5 pounds.

So I am thinking about trying this. Not knowing what their "special diet drink" was I was thinking of going with Bone Broth. I would be constently monitoring my blood sugar and carry around a few granola bars in case I crashed. Just wondering what y'all thought and would like to get some advice from any of you who have done long term fasting.
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Anybody?

My Journal
    My Journal

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I think you would want to be monitored by a doctor as I'm sure those patients were.

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    I have no thoughts and have never done anything like this, but would be interested in your experiment. I do recommend that you clear this through your doctor first, however. But, how do we know until we experiment??

Good luck to you!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    I was only prediabetic so I'm not sure if this would kill you or not but have you tried just cutting out all forms of carbohydrates completely?

Oh and granola bars? What do you put in them?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Paleobird Guest
    So, it's not really a fast, just a super low calorie diet for an extended period. It could well work. It would slam you into ketosis in a big way. You might want to prepare for this before cutting the calories by eating ketogenic macro ratios for a few weeks. Less of a shock to the body that way.

As long as you make sure that every single one of those limited calories is the highest quality, go for it.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Tormag, Good luck with this one. I too am really interested in how this experiemnt pans out. I would also be suggesting (if I may) that you work alongside your Doctor with maybe some before, during and after - full bloodwork ?
    I hope that, unlike mine, your Doctor is supportive of your health goals, works with you rather than dictates to you - if not - shop around !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Your blood sugar should be fine. Because your pancreas also secretes glucagon while you are in the fasted state and/or exercising in order to use stored energy for fuel and keep your blood sugar at normal levels. In fact, your blood sugar should be more stable while in the fasted state than during the fed state. And that is of course providing you have extra fat on your body to burn.

I'd try it if I were you!

I don't think you need any sort of special shake or anything like that. You very well could go zero calories and just do a water fast. Protein might help maintain muscle during the fast, like if you had a shake a day or something like that.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    On my 5 day fast my blood sugar went as low as 53. It never went lower. I think this was mainly my body getting used to fasting. After 53 my blood sugar started going up into the high 50s and than 60s. You should definitely monitor blood sugar and possibly also blood pressure.

If you're eating bone broth instead of a straight fast this should keep your electrolytes up nicely.

My numbers are better after my fast so it worked for me. My blood sugar was in the 110-115 range before and after its 85-95. Its not perfect but my fast was only five days. If I had gone longer maybe it would have went down to normal. I'm currently trying to eat a Ketogenic diet to get down the remainder.

Sadly I gave into a craving for breadstick....just one and a piece of another and knocked myself out of Ketosis and my fasting blood sugars have went up a bit. I'm sure they will go back down if I stick with it though.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Thanks for the replies. My Doctor is somewhat of an A$$. Last time I was in, he said my weight loss had nothing do to with my change of eating and working out, but was due to my higher sugars. I have been trying to find a Paleo friendly Dr. here in Atlanta, but not having any luck.

I will be doing this without his blessing. I have been diabetic long enough to know how I feel and as I said, I would be monitoring my blood sugar closely. I have an appointment with him in two weeks, so I will probably use that as the bloodwork results for the pre...

My Journal
    My Journal

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast