Thread: Deadlift - How? page

Milty is offline Senior Member

Deadlift - How?

Primal Fuel
    I have studied the form and technique. But am having trouble finding out how many times do you lift?

the_puma is offline Junior Member
    It really depends on what you want to train and what your goals are. If you want to increase primarily strength, you can try the Wendler routine (5-3-1 ==> T NATION | How to Build Pure Strength). If you want to increase speed as well as strength, you may be better off with the Westside Barbell conjugate method (The Westside-Barbell Conjugate Method: A Users Guide | Syatt Fitness).

I would recommend combining the deadlift with other movements, it doesn't make sense to just work on the deadlift. Both Wendler and conjugate use different movements (e.g., shoulder press, bench press, squat). The former is focused more on higher weight, slower lifts, while conjugate works on speed with percentages of your one rep max (which you will have to figure out as you train - that is, how much weight can you pull, push, etc. for one repetition).

I hope this helps!

skorpion317 is offline Senior Member
    I do 1 set of 5 reps, then 2 sets of 3 reps each with a heavier weight.

For example:

1x5 - 310 lbs.
    2x3 - 325 lbs.

I'll be lifting that when I get home from work. Your 5-rep max is about 87% of your 1-rep max (1RM). Your 3RM is about 92% of your 1RM, and it's about 15 lbs. heavier than your 5RM. Lifting at or above 90% of your 1RM will build significant strength. My 1RM in May became my 5RM in July after I started lifting this way. I use the same method for bench press and squat.

I would recommend starting out doing 3x5. Build up some strength, and more importantly, perfect your lifting form. Then move up to heavier weights.
    "Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."

Milty is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skorpion317 View Post
    I do 1 set of 5 reps, then 2 sets of 3 reps each with a heavier weight.

For example:

1x5 - 310 lbs.
    2x3 - 325 lbs.

I'll be lifting that when I get home from work. Your 5-rep max is about 87% of your 1-rep max (1RM). Your 3RM is about 92% of your 1RM, and it's about 15 lbs. heavier than your 5RM. Lifting at or above 90% of your 1RM will build significant strength. My 1RM in May became my 5RM in July after I started lifting this way. I use the same method for bench press and squat.

I would recommend starting out doing 3x5. Build up some strength, and more importantly, perfect your lifting form. Then move up to heavier weights.
    Exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You need a program in general, it sounds like. Look into these for barbells, they all include deadlifting and tell you when, how much, how often, and how much to increase.
    Starting Strength
    5-3-1
    Madcow
    Greyskull LP
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/