Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Workout intervals page

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member

Workout intervals

Am I not maximizing my muscle gaining potential by spacing my sets of lift heavy things through out the day vs waiting say 30 seconds between them? I am also frustrated at how weak I still am despite working at it for 5 months.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    How are you setting up your sessions each day/throughout the week?

Richard

It usually ends up being a a set here and there of squats and push ups and a few veriations while I'm waiting for a meal to cook or while I'm listening to school lectures online. So maybe 20 pushups while breakfast is cooking. 20 Squats when I'm done eating. More pushups after I brush my teeth. Free weight (like light hand weights) in between other tasks. More pushups and squats while lunch is cooking. I was doing it all 2-3 days a week like the primal fitness said. But it seems I have a lot of free time spread throughout the day vs a chunk of time. So 45 seconds of squats sprinkled through the day vs 2-3 sets of 40 squats at one time with 30 seconds between sets.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Are you doing the hardest variation possible of each exercise? If something feels too easy, then it's not giving you maximum benefit. I can squat 160lbs, but the bulgarian squats in PBF kicked my butt today. The free weights likely aren't doing you any good because they're so lightweight.

Yes, I am doing the hardest I can of each. The free weights I do enough reps of to max out, but I could just replace those with more body weight exercises if that helps.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Maybe try doing things at a slower speed? Some people have had success with that. I think that body weight stuff isn't going to build a ton of strength, but each exercise should get easier with time. If you can use some heavy weights, you will see more progress.

Swarley is offline Junior Member
    At the end of month 5 have you been able to do more in total than you could at the beginning of month 1? If yes then it would seem on the surface you are gaining strength. Can you elaborate on the "how weak I still am..." part?
    The greater the achievement the more difficult the path. The easy road is granted to those less fortunate as a consolation prize.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you want to get strong, follow one of the established programs. You can make amazing progress in a few months of dedicated training. A few pushups here and there is not going to be as efficient as a real program. Check out YAYOG or even simplefit if you don't want to join a gym.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

I can do more than what I started out doing, but I had in my mind that I would be doing MUCH more. When you see (some) other people work out at the gym, they have that look about them that they are really pushing themselves... Really getting all they can out of every bit of the workout. I feel like a wet noodle most times, and I havent even added heavy weights yet. I lack muscular strength AND stamina to complete the basics. Sometimes people feel weak when they are sick or when they first start eating primally, ya know like carb flu or something, but I feel that way when I'm working out. The long walks don't bother me. They give me energy. But if I am applying force to muscle through body weight sets and reps, I feel like crap and want to curl up in my bed and sleep. I used to jogg prior to primal blueprint, and I did a bit of mountain biking. I used to hit the wall fairly quickly on the bike if I was having to use a lot of muscle strength (hilly trails vs flatter trails), and while I had decent distance jogging, I felt the same horrible flu-like way after I was done.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It sounds like your working hard but potentially stuck between different systems. If you like working out little and often during the day I would follow A). A 'frequency method' .... this using pushups as an example is when you know what ur max reps are, u then half them and perform this number about 3-4 times during the day. This gets added to each week (no set to failure) in the knowledge that after a few weeks you will re-test with a Higher max. This will increase your strength. I recommend using just pushups, Pullups and maybe squats to start. If you want more conditioning challenges aswell Google 'villanous challenge 1' or 'villanous challenge 2' (theres 5 of them) .... if you like them I can help with a schedule for them.

OR B). Keep using marks LHT training 3x a week doing 2 sets to failure of each movement. You can add in marks WOW wods to if you like. If you want to use marks LHT programmes but want to train everyday, the standard programme could also be changed to doing just the pushups and squats on monday, then pullups and plank on tuesday etc etc.

Richard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast