Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Workout intervals page 2

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    How much protein are you eating? If you're not getting enough/eating enough period, you will not make strength gains.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    I'm not counting grams per say, but typically I'll eat maybe two hamber patties for breakfast plus veggies. Then maybe a 10 oz piece of salmon for lunch with veggies. And 2-3 chicken legs with skin with veggies for dinner. I weigh 114 lbs... Wouldn't that be enough protein?
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    That sounds fine.

Perhaps your carbs are too low for you? Some people do poorly on vlc for extended periods. I get depressed if I go more than a week vlc. It can also cause some issues with thyroid. I would try upping carbs... potatoes, fruit... for a few days and see if you feel better.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    You can stimulate your muscles to grow by taking them to failure. Do this once a week and let them rebuild and you will get stronger. Do it 3x a week if you like, but the bottom line is the stimulus has to be strong enough for your body to recognize that it must adapt to survive.

Greasing the groove is great for getting better at one or two specific movements, but I don't think its all that great for "strength".

Richardmac is online now Senior Member
    I agree my friend to some extent. We have to remember that what works for one might not work for the other (at least maybe not to the same extent). I loved the recent article from mark covering the eccentric failure training. but there is alot to be said for 'grease the groove' which can be near failure. If you look into grey Skull linear progression by Johnny Pain, he advocates the fruquency method with pressups and pullups and his programme is bringing strength gains to all athletes and gym users who use it. Weight gains on this of about 10lbs in the first 5 weeks are common.

I wrote somewhere else about Gymnastics. There goal is strength and athletic performance not size, but they build phenomonal strength and great size etc through grease the groove type training. They train several times a day on apparatus never training to failure, trying to hone technique etc and the results speak for themselves.

I am trying to finish all the advanced techniques of Marks programme whilst regularly using kb swings and some strongman lifts. I am also trying to write up a schedule to complete the villain challenges from the 'strength villain' site. These should cover most facets of fitness and can be done at various intensities.

Richard

Alright, I'm still stuck.. I went back to a 3x/ week strength training at highh intensity. But I keep thinking about the people in nondeveloped countries that have amazing bodies, and they are doing high intensity stuff everyday. I'm thinking of a woman washing her laundry in a river while squating, and using her core to stabalize her body as she uses her back and shoulders and arms and hands to scrub all her families clothes. I'm not talking lifting weights strength training stuff but body weight activities. So she might wash clothes one day, help clean an animal the next, carry buckets of water each day, squat during much of her activities, etc. Same goes for a man. He has various activities that require strength and repetition, but he doesn't take days off from living to let his muscles recover. Wouldn't they repair and rebuild while he sleeps at ight like all the other cells in his body? All that to ask, why do we have to rest in between workouts if our workouts only consisted of body weight activities. Again, I'm NOT talking about squatting hundreds of pounds or lifting weights. But couldn't I do planks, squats, pushups, etc every day and get stronger because these activities are a part of my everyday activities?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Sure, you can get stronger by working out every day. It just might not be as efficient or effective as working out every other day. There are tons of really strong construction workers and farmers all over the place. Would they be even stronger if they worked harder but less often? Who knows? The strength experts mostly seem to say yes.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Ppl in non developing countries have amazing bodies? Go do ur laundry in a river then. Just cause they are skinny because they don't have the luxury of eating a bacon cheese burger doesn't mean they are fit or strong. Stop your fantasizing and hit the gym if you want to be strong. See how many pushups situps pullups and squats you can do in 30 mins then beat it next time. None of this do 10 pushups while ur eggs fry bs. You have to put effort into things.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    I feel like a wet noodle most times, and I havent even added heavy weights yet. I lack muscular strength AND stamina to complete the basics. Sometimes people feel weak when they are sick or when they first start eating primally, ya know like carb flu or something, but I feel that way when I'm working out. The long walks don't bother me. They give me energy. But if I am applying force to muscle through body weight sets and reps, I feel like crap and want to curl up in my bed and sleep. I used to jogg prior to primal blueprint, and I did a bit of mountain biking. I used to hit the wall fairly quickly on the bike if I was having to use a lot of muscle strength (hilly trails vs flatter trails), and while I had decent distance jogging, I felt the same horrible flu-like way after I was done.
    Have you ever thought you might have a metabolic disorder? It's highly unlikely as I think most people have more severe problems that are identified early in life, but I remember seeing some TV show where a girl had some type of disorder where she could not use glycogen (I think) and she felt weak and sick when she tried to exert herself. The other kids in her school teased her because she didn't run and play like she did. It also didn't help that she was overweight and the doctors kept telling her to eat less and exercise more. Of course when she tried to do these things, they just mader her feel worse. There was one particular episode where she was climbing stairs and she passed out or something.

Glycogen storage disease type V - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Ppl in non developing countries have amazing bodies? Go do ur laundry in a river then. Just cause they are skinny because they don't have the luxury of eating a bacon cheese burger doesn't mean they are fit or strong. Stop your fantasizing and hit the gym if you want to be strong. See how many pushups situps pullups and squats you can do in 30 mins then beat it next time. None of this do 10 pushups while ur eggs fry bs. You have to put effort into things.
    You are 1. Assuming that non developed equals little food and/or skinny people. I'm thinking more about people I saw when I went to costa rica. Some of those people were ripped. They used hand tools for farming and cutting down serious brush, they climbed trees barefoot to get coconuts. If that's not fit and strong, I don't know what is. and 2. You are assuming that pushups spread through the day are not an effort for me because they are not an effort for you. I was doing the max number I could each time.

Let's tell mark to stop fantisizing about Grok when thinking about how the human body works optimally before all these gyms came to be. But I 'd rather look like the well proportioned but totally muscular people in costa rica that could carry me through the jungle for miles to get me to a hospital if need be than most of the people I see at the gym.
    Last edited by GeorgiaPeach; 08-22-2012 at 06:57 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast