Thread: Question about understanding Cholesterol Results page

gopintos is offline Senior Member

Question about understanding Cholesterol Results

If I understand cholesterol correctly, it is more about genes than diet?

The reason I ask, since going Primal and since losing weight, my overall Cholesterol has been rising, and now my doctor wants to put me on Lepi-something.

Other than what I consider all positive changes like cutting crap carbs, I have eaten way more eggs than ever in my life starting in March, and I am just wanting to reassure myself that it is just a co-inky dink.

I am just trying to figure out what I need to do. Dietary changes or go with medicine, or some other option.

June 2011 March 2012 August 2012
    tri - 161 103 71
    hdl - 49 45 57
    ldl - 145 148 175

Other info:
    June '11 - I was 44 pounds heavier
    March was about 2 weeks after going primal, and 8 hour fast before blood work (28 pounds lighter)
    August '12 was about an 18 hour fast before blood work. (16 pounds LIGHTER than March)

Everything else was okay, white & red count, thyroid, I am not menopausal which is what I was concerned about since I wake up alot hot.

I am just baffled by it, and trying to understand it and just beginning to research it but I figured you guys would know.

Thanks so much!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

I was thinking about other dietary changes and CW super foods for Cholesterol. I already mentioned cutting out processed crap and eating more eggs, I also have added butter which I only used small amounts of Blue Bonnet before. I cut out canola and replaced it with coconut oil. I use less Olive Oil but only because I seem to reach for the CO first. I also have beef more often now than before and less fish, and I know I need more fish even though I take fish oil. They also preach heart healthy oatmeal and I was having steel cut oatmeal each morning before going primal but quit doing that. We didnt eat all that many legumes but I cut those out also. I dont have much fruit now either but only because I am in weight loss mode. Maybe 1/4 blueberries with greek yogurt, or a banana once in awhile. Apple once in awhile.

I am just now starting to read/search about Cholesterol. Never paid attention to it before. Seems like I was reading that only US seems to have issues with cholesterol levels? I have lots of reading to do but hoping someone has some quick insight.

Thanks

Uzito is offline Junior Member
    As I see, the ratios are improving (Total/HDL 4.61-> 4.32 and Trig/HDL 3.29->1.25) or not getting that much worse (LDL/HDL 2.96 -> 3.07 using Friedewal dLDL or 2.96 -> 2.7 using Iranian LDL).

The total cholesterol (226 -> 246) is still within the reasonable range.

dragonjax is online now Senior Member
    Cholesterol is vital to fight inflammation, which is the real problem.

You should read Griff's Cholesterol Primer.

Thanks for the replies!

I am going to read that thread now. Thanks!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    First, in your situation, I would not 'go' on anything. Your numbers are just fine, IMO (but I'm not a physician).

As to the diet vs. genes, all my doctors say that it's 90% genes, and that you can influence your numbers only slightly (if at all) with dietary changes.

One example (purely anecdotal I know)--When I was in graduate school, I was doing the Atkins diet, but living on a GS stipend, I was very poor. So I ate a lot of tuna--but my major food was whole eggs. I love eggs, and I think I ate them for 2-3 meals a day. After about 10 months of eating this way, I had a check up, and I warned my doctor that my cholesterol was sure to be high, telling him about all those eggs.

He scoffed and said that the body controls the level of cholesterol--e.g., if I was eating too much, it would simply reduce its own production, and if I were eating low fat, etc., it would ramp up its production. In a 'normal' person (i.e., one who does not have the genetic predisposition to high, high cholesterol), the body maintains a homeostasis that is normal for that person. Sure enough, my numbers were ideal.

If numbers seem too high, instead of taking statins, it's wise to check on a cause. In recent years, my LDL was higher than my doctor wanted, and he kept trying to push statins on me--which I refused. He is the same doctor who kept insisting that my thyroid was 'normal.' I eventually self-referred to an endo--and was immediately diagnosed an medicated because my hypothyroid symptoms were so severe. As my thyroid hormones were optimized, my LDL dropped. That high LDL was caused by my undiagnosed hypothyroidism.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Check out Peter Attia's series. I believe it is the most detailed and scientifically based. Lots of theories floating around. I would not assume anything posted on the Internet is the final and complete word. Listen to Chris Masterjohn's podcast too. Educate yourself and form your own opinion.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzito View Post
    As I see, the ratios are improving (Total/HDL 4.61-> 4.32 and Trig/HDL 3.29->1.25) or not getting that much worse (LDL/HDL 2.96 -> 3.07 using Friedewal dLDL or 2.96 -> 2.7 using Iranian LDL).

The total cholesterol (226 -> 246) is still within the reasonable range.
    Now that I have read that part of the thread, I understand your post and I appreciate your time to calculate my numbers. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    First, in your situation, I would not 'go' on anything. Your numbers are just fine, IMO (but I'm not a physician).

As to the diet vs. genes, all my doctors say that it's 90% genes, and that you can influence your numbers only slightly (if at all) with dietary changes.

One example (purely anecdotal I know)--When I was in graduate school, I was doing the Atkins diet, but living on a GS stipend, I was very poor. So I ate a lot of tuna--but my major food was whole eggs. I love eggs, and I think I ate them for 2-3 meals a day. After about 10 months of eating this way, I had a check up, and I warned my doctor that my cholesterol was sure to be high, telling him about all those eggs.

He scoffed and said that the body controls the level of cholesterol--e.g., if I was eating too much, it would simply reduce its own production, and if I were eating low fat, etc., it would ramp up its production. In a 'normal' person (i.e., one who does not have the genetic predisposition to high, high cholesterol), the body maintains a homeostasis that is normal for that person. Sure enough, my numbers were ideal.

If numbers seem too high, instead of taking statins, it's wise to check on a cause. In recent years, my LDL was higher than my doctor wanted, and he kept trying to push statins on me--which I refused. He is the same doctor who kept insisting that my thyroid was 'normal.' I eventually self-referred to an endo--and was immediately diagnosed an medicated because my hypothyroid symptoms were so severe. As my thyroid hormones were optimized, my LDL dropped. That high LDL was caused by my undiagnosed hypothyroidism.
    Thank you for your reply. I was wanting to make sure it wasnt the eggs, (or the butter, or the lack of oatmeal, etc) because I have been trying to preach to DH about the cholesterol/egg thing (anything dietary cholesterol for that matter but mostly eggs) and I didnt want to have to start back pedaling. He eats a few more now than he did before, but he still isnt sold on the idea of eggs being okay. So with my number going up, I didnt want 'egg on my face' ha

Thanks for all the info. I knew you guys would know what was what. I have only started that other thread, and was able to read a few more threads earlier that kept me from wigging out. Thanks!

But still, I am not telling him about this. I know my secret is safe here on the internet....
    Last edited by gopintos; 08-13-2012 at 03:16 PM.