Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: When was the last time you were ill? page 3

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    In recent years I have had some awful illnesses where I have been hospitalised, many times.
    I have had at least 13 episodes of vomiting and diarrhoea within the last 10 years. (Cause unknown)

3 years ago I went to the doctor extremely unwell, and was diagnosed with cytomegalo virus, glandular fever, the mumps and a very nasty strep throat. I then ended up with a suspected spider bite/rose thorn infection in my arm that tracked up into my head. I was one sick puppy and remained in hospital for eight days, unable to sit up, eat or function very well.
    Three years later I still ache, have terrible restless legs, ulcers in my mouth every other week, can't sleep, having to get up and pee in the night, awful vomiting/diahorreah bugs, waking up with the most incredibly sore body that continues to ache all day, very high blood pressure 140+/100+, swollen feet, bloated stomach, terrible indigestion that required medication, and a feeling of general unwellness. My sports induced asthma has been horrendous. As well as other things that I forget !
    My Doctor fobbed me off several times. Time will heal !!!!!!

Today I am post 10 weeks of eating a primal diet. I eat a lot of protein, a generous amount of fat, veges, fruits and a few sweet potatos now and then. I have cut out all diary, drink black coffee in the morning, upped my water consumption and only have a couple of glasses of wine per week.
    Wow – you would not believe the transformation.
    I sleep 8-9 hours every night
    No restless legs
    Not one mouth ulcer for 9 weeks
    The mental fog has lifted
    Blood pressure has settled at 115/68 ish
    No burning sensation when I pee
    I do not get up in the night any more to pee
    My temp has gone back to a normal 36.5 ish
    The body aches have completely gone
    I have not had any vomiting or diahorreah bugs !!!!!
    My indigestion has completely vanished
    My sports induced asthma appears to be waining.
    And I have lost 7 kg.

I have not had one bug this winter down here in New Zealand, and we have had some terrible bugs in our house.
    so...you do the math !!!!!!!...........

I think that I may just be on a winner !!!!!!
    Last edited by NZ primal Gwamma; 08-14-2012 at 07:42 PM.
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

jacmac is offline Senior Member
    Wow Gwamma what an amazing turn around. Yep you win alright!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    thanx Jacmac. I think that this time I am !!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    I'm probably not primal long enough to know whether it has effects, but I have never been sick since I started primal 8 months ago
    Billie trips balls

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Aug - Nov 2010 suffered whooping cough. Went sugar free the following Jan, then primal last Aug. I wasn't one to get sick a lot anyway, but would get the sneezes and associated cough. Since Jan, I've had a minor bout of food poisoning (lasted a day and first thing I ate? Steak!) and not ill right now, but suffering after eating a whole can of coconut cream. Won't be doing that again any time soon :lol

canuck416 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been ill since starting Paleo in March, also my sinuses are much clearer and I have not suffered from any seasonal allergies. It's only been five months so I need to get a full year in to be sure, but it appears my immune system is much healthier.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    my entire life, i suffered from bronchial distress of some sort, most of the times. coughing so bad, i spat up blood and broke blood vessels in my eyes and face. colds and coughs that lasted over a month. i also woke up most days choking on mucous.

erratic sleep, punctuated by insomnia, for decades.

i ditched grains 3 years ago and have not been sick once, not a sneeze or sniffle. i work in a restaurant, so deal with the public in large volumes. when my b/f comes down with something, i stay just fine. most nights i sleep like a baby.

a recent development that is totally surprising: in the last 2 weeks, my hair has become dramatically thicker and is longer than it's been in ages. it's curly so has a tendency to break on the ends. so even though it was growing at the root, it never got past a certain point. that point had become shorter over time, barely to my shoulders. it's now well past there and feels like it's growing like a fairy tale vine, lol.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Issabeau is offline Senior Member
    The last time I had a fever was winter of 1997...so 15 years ago. BUT, I've always had seasonal allergies, stuffy nose and itchy eyes, that went semi-away with allergy shots 4 years ago and totally away once going primal.

I like to say I haven't been sick since 1993, but in all honesty, I don't remember the last time I was ill. It has been many years now, and this streak precedes primal because I am fortunate to have a strong natural constitution and i recover from all problems very quickly.

MissJecka is offline Senior Member
    Honestly, what made me stop getting ill so often was starting college back in 2003. Until then, I lived in a household of smokers (just my mom and dad, but the former smoked a carton of cigs a week and the latter smoked a few cigars a week).

I had tonsilitis at least twice per year. Usually it would start in my sinuses and then spread to my ears and tonsils... so it would be a hellish 1 to 2 months of awfulness. I also had seasonal allergies and was put on a variety of meds for that. Strep throat was a common, annual occurance until I was in my mid-teens. Shit, I had scarlet fever 3 times (!!!) before the age of 8.

When I left home for college, I only got tonsilitis once (freshman year, about 2 months into school) and since then I have never had any -itis. The only illness I've had since 2003 is food poisoning twice, and possibly 2 or 3 colds.

I've only been primal for barely 2 months, and although I haven't gotten sick, I'm not going to 100% attribute it to this lifestyle. However, my boyfriend just had a really bad week-long flu (fever, chills, congestion, cough) a little over a week ago and despite sleeping next to him every night, I never got it. Maybe that's a sign that this is doing my body good!
    >> Current Stats: 90% Primal / 143 lbs / ~25% BF
    >> Goal (by 1 Jan 2014): 90% Primal / 135-ish pounds / 20-22% BF

>> Upcoming Fitness Feats: Tough Mudder, June 2013
    >> Check out my super-exciting journal by clicking these words.

Weight does NOT equal health -- ditch the scale, don't be a slave to it!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast