Thread: Young athlete in a primal household page

Jacksson is offline Senior Member

Young athlete in a primal household

Primal Fuel
    My wife and I are actually starting the 21 day challege TODAY! We are pretty excited as we really feel like we need the change in our life, not just our diet.

Our concern is with our 15 year old daughter. She plays competitive soccer so her training is pretty intense and the "season" is pretty long. We definitely want to include her in much of the primal lifestyle, so to speak, but dont want to hurt her performance or get her system knocked out of whack.

In other words, I want her to learn about sleeping better and shutting down the computer if not doing homework. I want her to eat fresh fruit and vegitables and lean meat and fish. I want her to get away from processed foods, just I want to get myself away from those foods. But I also want to make sure she is getting enough of what she needs to be able to compete.

My assumption at this point is that she can follow what we are doing but include some white rice, potato and sweet potato for example. What I'm unsure of is whether to include these types of foods as a regular meal or specifically just before or after a hard training. I'm a little confused about where the line is drawn between being a fat burner and still including carbs due to very strenuous activity. Should I be concerned about making sure she is a fat burner? Am I worrying too much? I just want her to be healthy but not hurt her performance. Any and all suggestions welcome. I just need a bit of a game plan for her.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    First, primal does not mean eating lean meats. You need to be sure you are eating plenty of fat.

Next, children, especially active ones, should not restrict carbs. Offer her carbs with each meal and let her determine what she needs. She is still growing and trying to build muscle. Her cravings, if satisfied by primal foods primarily, will tell her what she needs.

Get her input, she's old enough to be involved in these choices.

pbj
    pbj is offline Senior Member
    I've got a 13 yo hockey player - 4x per week on the ice all year round.
    I went primal almost a year ago and just gradually switched out pasta and bread for potatos, sweet potatos and rice. worked out fine, he still asks for things that I don't eat (mac n chz anyone?) and I make a small amount along with the potatos and he has a little and is satisfied.
    Neither he, nor the husband complain about not having enough pasta or bread with meals...not once!

gradual is the key!

forward,
    pbj
    my info:

If you can't tell the truth about yourself, you can't tell it about other people --- Virginia Woolf

My journal

That is what I was hoping to hear. She is pretty easy as far as food goes. She'll generally eat what we have when at home. My next challenge is to figure out what to put in her school lunches. She has had sandwiches for so long and I'd like to ease her off of the bread at least most of the time. I'd love some school lunch suggestions.

clint2 is offline Junior Member
    The carbs/fat ratio is an individual thing. I personally do better on a very low carb diet. I am very active(run 50-70mpw, lift weight) And I have zero energy issues. Your daughter could be different. She needs to experiment with the ratio. Also, it is very easy to eat too much protien when going primal/paleo. Dont be afraid of fat, it is a fuel that is absolutely nessisary. Protein in excess amounts is just as bad as excess carbs.

Quote Originally Posted by darylb View Post
    That is what I was hoping to hear. She is pretty easy as far as food goes. She'll generally eat what we have when at home. My next challenge is to figure out what to put in her school lunches. She has had sandwiches for so long and I'd like to ease her off of the bread at least most of the time. I'd love some school lunch suggestions.
    Look in bento boxes, and let her choose what to put in the compartments. We do a lot of lettuce wraps in place of bread.

Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    Look in bento boxes, and let her choose what to put in the compartments. We do a lot of lettuce wraps in place of bread.

Like I said before, she is generally fine with whatever we make for dinner or whatever is in the house. The challenge for lunch is she insists that she has to carry lunch in a plain paper bag. Apparently, that is what the cool kids do.

I guess we will get it figured out eventually. The big deal will be if she takes something interesting to school and someone tells her it is cool. Until then, I need more ideas. Any suggestions welcome or if you can point me to resources for ideas that is cool too. I talked to her some over the last few days and she has no problem with what I am suggesting but we both are having a hard time figuring out lunch. I really want to get away from the sandwich, pretzels and granola bar.

School Lunches, Part 1 | The Primal Parent a series on school lunches

Angie's Suburban Oasis: Paleo/Primal School Lunch Ideas

Google "primal school lunches" or "paleo school lunches" and you'll get some other ideas. Bento boxes, Lunch Boxes | Bento Boxes | Eco Friendly Lunch Boxes | Healthy Lunch Ideas, Recipes, Menus, are pretty cool and she might get comments on other kids being jealous of her awesome food. It's just a way to have a reusable container that also keeps the food separate. You could also use a paper bag and put any squishable things into small tupperware.