Thread: Question about fasting page

Question about fasting

Primal Fuel
    Hi,

I have looked ont his board through 5 pages and couldn't find a thread about this so I apologise if I am repeating anything on here!

I am new to this and was just wondering how one should go about fasting. I personally have a lot of fat stores for my body to use up so that isn't a problem, I was just wondering how a starter should go about doing this?

I was thinking about doing something similar to what muslims do during ramadam (sp) to start off with and that is a sort of 18 hour fast, only eat when the sun goes down for a week and then maybe progress to say 24 hour IF 1 day fast 1 day off, for a week and then progress to a 5 day fast. Obviously I wouldn't do this straight after eachother which brings me to my next question, how often should one fast?

I think that it is obvious why primal man fasted, shortage of food, and because food is so easily accessible these days that it is basically made us over eat. So therefore, should one fast more say in the winter than in summer?

I was thinking of fasting once every 3 months or so...

Thanks for any advice in advance

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    If you use the forum search functions, you can see Pklopps excellent primers (part 1, part 2 and part 3).

Plus, Mark wrote about 10 posts (here's one) on the front page of the site. Try using the search function there too.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Omni is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by urbancaveman View Post
    I was thinking about doing something similar to what muslims do during ramadam (sp) to start off with and that is a sort of 18 hour fast, only eat when the sun goes down for a week and then maybe progress to say 24 hour IF 1 day fast 1 day off, for a week and then progress to a 5 day fast. Obviously I wouldn't do this straight after eachother which brings me to my next question, how often should one fast?
    "Whoa there big boy"(no offence)
    Read the threads posted above, but remember the diet is the first step, get that down pat first and incorporate a suitable exercise program, the fasting process should come naturally.
    I made the diet changes 4 months ago, and was pretty healthy even before that, first step is cutting the bulk carbs (grains), once your body adjusts to this and begins to develop the fat burning mechanisms, then you find hunger between meals decreases in intensity. I gradually went from three meals a day + snacks, then to straight three meals, then dropped breakfast, and about a month ago went down to just dinner, this all happened quite naturally, now am looking to do a 40hr fast in the near future. Exercising in a fasted state is crucial to the preparation, once you are doing fine on the 1 meal/day + exercise, then look at the next step, there is a question of whether there are any real benefits in fasting beyond 50hrs, and there certainly are some risks, so as they say "look before you leap".

Quote Originally Posted by Omni View Post
    "Whoa there big boy"(no offence)
    Read the threads posted above, but remember the diet is the first step, get that down pat first and incorporate a suitable exercise program, the fasting process should come naturally.
    I made the diet changes 4 months ago, and was pretty healthy even before that, first step is cutting the bulk carbs (grains), once your body adjusts to this and begins to develop the fat burning mechanisms, then you find hunger between meals decreases in intensity. I gradually went from three meals a day + snacks, then to straight three meals, then dropped breakfast, and about a month ago went down to just dinner, this all happened quite naturally, now am looking to do a 40hr fast in the near future. Exercising in a fasted state is crucial to the preparation, once you are doing fine on the 1 meal/day + exercise, then look at the next step, there is a question of whether there are any real benefits in fasting beyond 50hrs, and there certainly are some risks, so as they say "look before you leap".
    You are right, I think I am going to just get use to the primal eating way and then slowly introduce IF the way that pklopps mentioned in his posts!

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Try fasting on Mondays and Fridays with your fasting window at 6pm (your dinner) until 6pm the next day

I started this and then moved onto daily intermittent fasting (feeding window 12-8 each day)

Couple this with eating decently when you eat and you should be on your way pretty quickly.

A few tips for you.

Drink lots of water, coffee if you like and green tea is also acceptable.

Eat something small at the end of your fast. Don't plan to eat a huge meal as this defeats the object. I found a piece of fruit at the end of the fast really helped this. after all fasting is about controlling your brain's perception of hunger.

After the first time it will become a doddle to fast!

Good luck.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    dial in the diet first. a very good lesson from this is learning the feelings of true hunger and true satiety. hunger means hunger, it means you feel empty, not a krazee zomg-must-eat-everything-now-or-i'll-kill-a-puppy. it's not feeling "hungry" 1-2 hours after you just ate. get this part down first.

another thing to keep in mind is sometimes dehydration can disguise itself as hunger. especially if you are going low-carb and are in ketosis. it's a natural diuretic and you will need lots more water than before.

after awhile, you won't be thinking about eating until you start to actually need fuel. sometimes that may be 12-18 hours at a stretch.

take one step at a time.

fasting isn't a requirement for eating primal.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    For all practicality I would recommend just keeping it simple. Start off by skipping breakfast and eventually work your way up to a smaller eating window such as 8 hours or even 5. Then you can try one or two 24 hour fasts per week if you want.

There really is no need to go extreme with this either. You'll find that skipping breakfast will work wonders for you. You'll naturally end up eating less calories per day. Your hunger will go away earlier in the day and you'll feel more full after your meals.

Because such a simple strategy can work so well, I really see no reason why anyone should ever have to go a day without eating. In reality, I can see where a longer fast would work wonders for an obese individual, but so do low carb diets. And that's why I argue that a longer fast isn't necessary.