Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My Urban Caveman Journey page

My Urban Caveman Journey

Hi,

I thought it will significantly help me if I'd log my journey to becoming an urban caveman here. Both for motivational purposes, but also so that whoever reads this can either benefit from or comment if I am doing something wrong!

I'll introduce myself;

My name is Owen I am currently 27 male, 6ft 1inches and 290lbs. I am from the city of Manchester UK hence my urban caveman name and title of my journal. Manchester although a busy city isn't completely a concrete jungle. In the suburbs we have some beautiful scenery. Which will hopefully become my gym!

My sport is American Football, I have been using my size as an advantage for my position, (offensive lineman), but now I am starting to feel like my health and well being needs to take more of a front seat now!

I am hoping exercising and eating primal will significantly improve my health, fitness, strength and the way I view myself. So this is my journey... I am no writer, so please don't expect any epic literature, but I will attempt to make it as interesting as possible!!

Thanks in Advance

Owen
    aka urbancaveman
    Last edited by urbancaveman; 08-13-2012 at 02:31 AM.

Day1: Monday 13th Aug 2012
    ----------------------------------------------------

Weight: 289.4lbs

I woke up this morning feeling shattered, I had a bit of heavy weekend, after paintballing on saturday and having a few bevvies in the night. I went to bed late last night because I wanted to watch the closing ceremony of the olympics. It was worth it, very good event. However note to self in future; record it and watch it back another time, I think sleep is going to be a big help in this process.

I am starting to realise that this process is going to have to be a life changing thing. I need to change the way I think about food, and also how to prevent myself from jumping off the wagon. This is going to take masses of will power, but I want to and need to do this.

Breakfast:

2 Eggs micropoached (poached in microwave)
    4 mushrooms fried in coconut oil
    1 banana
    1 capsule of fish oils

To be continued....

Day1 Cont...

Okay I am coming to the end of day one! and I have to say it was rather difficult at times! I felt what I used to describe as being hungry a lot, but now knowing better I didn't stuff my face full of chocolate, crisps, etc I just drank water and waited till I was truely hungry and needed feeding!

On the forum I have been reading about fasting, and how to IF! There was an interesting post that was directed to me which said to break yourself into the IF slowly. By incrementally eating breakfast later and later each week untill it merges into lunch to become brunch, and then later such that brunch becomes the evening meal. I think I might try this within the next month or so! My only concern is, will I be getting enough calories to keep me going? I presume this meant so that your body starts to canniblise your own fat stores and thus help you lose weight. Am I right?

So my meals for today:

Breakfast:

2 Eggs micropoached (poached in microwave)
    4 mushrooms fried in coconut oil
    1 banana
    1 capsule of fish oils

Lunch

Pre-cooked Chicken flame grilled style
    Garden Salad
    Pot of Blueberries
    1 starbucks americano black

Evening Meal:

Paleo chicken curry with ocra (instead of rice)
    My own paleo berry blast (Frozen summer fruits and a banana, blitzed together to form a sorbet/icecream type deasert)

I was concerned with lunch as I looked at the packet of chicken at the ingredients and it contained stabilisers and salt I am guessing this isn't paleo, but I decided to go with it anyway.

I think in future I will cook my own chicken and make my own salad!

Anyway I have decided to go to bed early approx 9.30 BST which is in an hour so best get my chores done!

So untill tomorrow!

Ciao for now!

Owen

Day 2: Tuesday 14th August 2012

Day 2: Tuesday 14th Aug 2012

I am begininging to think that this is going to be a struggle... Basically as sad as it sounds I live with my parents and my mother is a Practice nurse who has be indoctrined in CW. This morning I was peering in the fridge looking for something paleo to eat but my mother goes "Just eat some cereal for breakfast, why do you have to go looking for eggs blah blah blah!" So I have basically automatically had my first IF! I am pretty sure based on this that I won't be getting support from my mother! Oh well we'll see what she says when I lose weight and look great!

Any tips on trying to turn my mothers point of view? She seems to think that because she is a nurse and has been on the course she is an expert! I personally find it hilarious because she is overweight herself but gives dietry advice to other people!! Oh well hypocrasy is common place these days!

Don't get me wrong I love my mum, but she doesn't half think she knows best!!

Any way...

Breakfast was at 10:15am BST I had a banana and an orange

Lunch I am going to have: 2 Spit roasted chicken breats (bought from supermarket not 100% sure this is paleo) some water melon, blueberries and some almonds

Evening meal, not sure yet I'll have to see what I feel like later!!

To be continued...

Day2 continued

I changed my lunch above to the following:

1/2 chicken spit roasted
    Water melon

For my evening meal I had 2 venison burgers with salad and some delicious butternut squash oven chips (what you americans call fries)

Managed to get to bed at 10pm!

Not a particular exciting day but hey ho!!

Day3 Wednesday 15th Aug 2012

Today I woke up feeling a bit strange, I woke in the middle of the night, to get some water, to my horror, I discovered that my sight was blurry, as I woke up this morning to get ready for work, My sight wasn't as bad but still a bit a strange! I think I best go the opticians!!

Anyway!

Breakfast was at approx 7:30am and I had blueberry with sunflower seeds and almonds witha tsp of honey!! All I can say is Yummy!! It felt so wrong, but tasted so right lol, and of course it was paleo!

I am going to skip lunch

For my evening meal I am going to have a spanish omlette, instead of potatos I am going to use butternut squash and I am going to use no cheese!!

Tonight I meant to go to boot camp but I have family round so I will see what time they leave and then do appropriate exercise accordingly!!

To be Cont...

Day 3 continued...

After breakfast I didn't end up eating till about 8pm and I have to say that it was pretty easy for me which is surprising!! I just decided to listen to my body!! I said to myself that my body won't waste away if I miss a meal out and low and behold it didn't!!

Might repeat tomorrow!

Didn't manage to fit exercise in because I had family round but to be honest I went to bed early anyway! 9.30!

My food consisted of...

Breakfast: Almonds, sunflower seeds, blueberries with a tsp honey
    Lunch: Fast
    Evening Meal: Spanish Omlette with butternut squash as a substitute for potato, salad
    sunflower seeds, blueberries with a 2tsp honey

Note to self.... Butternut squash is a fantastic, tasty alternative to potato!!

Day4 Thursday 6th August 2012
    ---------------------------------------

After a very successful IF yesterday although small! I have decided to do it again and skip breakfast as well!

Although still a bit tired this morning I actually feel great now!

I weighed myself this morning! To my amazement in the past 4 days I have lost 8.4lbs!!!! Like I said I started at 289.4lbs on monday and this morning I weighed at 281.0lbs!! Now whilst this seems quite a lot of weight to be losing, it is my first week and I presume that this will level off once my body becomes accustomed to this way of living! But anyway I am happy with these results so already and look forward to seeing the benefits in weeks/months/years to come!!

Breakfast: Fast - 1 grande black americano
    Lunch: Fast
    Evening meal: hmmmm what shall I have? Steak? Or these chicken livers that people have been raving about on this forum!!

To be continued ......

Day 3 continued....

So after a fast from 8pm the night before to 6pm the next day (almost 24 hours lol) I broke my fast with a nice big juicy steak! with a side of roasted butternut squash and veg! Yummy!

I also tended to my experimental side, by trying to make paleo fruit and nut bars for a snack! Unfortunately they ended up just being a fruit and nut mess! I would appreciate any paleo/primal fruit and nut bars, so that I can snack on! I am going on a hike next weekend and would like something to take up there!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 4 Friday 17th August 2012
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

Woke up feeling a bit woozey! Tired, and a bit wobbly on the feet!! didn't have a great sleep despite going to bed at 9:45! But as I write this, I am pretty good!

For breakfast I had: 2 hard boiled eggs, blue berries, banana and some the nut granola I made last night!

Not having lunch! might have a black americano!

left over steak for tea with salad me thinks!!

I am off out tonight going to have a few beers! not strictly paleo, but mark says he likes couple now and then so I suppose it is ok!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast