Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Urban Caveman Journey page 2

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok First week on the primal/paleo plan, I had a kind of relapse at the weekend! :-( but I am back on it now with a fast untill dinner time!

I weighed myself this morning! I am 285lbs so thats 4lbs off! not the 9lbs I had in mind but a loss is a loss! I am going to start putting some exercise in now that I have got some of the diet sorted.

My plan is to do a bit of primal fitness, so sprints for cardio, lift heavy (this will be good for my Football training) and walk around a lot! At the moment I can't afford vibram fivefingers yet so still going to have to use normal trainers/sneakers! I am also going to put a bit of plyometrics and core strength exercises in as well such as box jumps, planck etc...

Fun and games

Breakfast: 1 venti americano
    Lunch: Fast
    Evening Meal: Chicken either with salad or steamed veg! Paleo ice cream for dessert!

Happy Monday everyone have a good week!

Urban Caveman

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Hi,

Greetings from over the Irish Channel. Good to see more and more people from the UK here.
    Good to see you started the primal way, good luck with it!
    Just one word of warning: based on what you eat, I don't think you'll see dramatic weight loss just yet. In my experience to really lose weight you have to be quite strict. Just because something is "paleo" doesn't mean that you'll lose weight (or lose fat, more importantly, an important distinction). For example, what is this "paleo ice cream for dessert"? Why a dessert anyway? Usually means you didn't eat enough during the main meal.
    I lost 30lbs over the last 3 months (was 230lbs, now 200lbs, want to go down to 80kgs) by just eating meat/fish and veggies with lots of butter, and only occasional fruit and sweet potatoes. In my experience to lose weight efficiently there is no other choice but to completely ban alcohol and fruit. Yes, not easy and quite anti-social but it can be worth it to do for a little while.
    Also, it may be wise to start measuring your waist as weight loss can be deceptive. Go by reduction in size of the belly. Keep track of it on a piece of paper or in something like Evernote, which is what I do and which can be a good motivator to stay on track (as the stats don't lie).
    I wouldn't go too wild with the fasting at first, make sure your body has the right nutrients at first so maybe doing a few weeks or a month of pretty strict paleo would be more beneficial in the long run. (having said that, I think IF is very good and can be great to break through a plateau, but you have only started)
    Anyway, keep going, with 290lbs starting weight you're bound to see good progress. Any target weight? My kettlebell instructor was 265lbs and is now 175lbs and ripped so it can be done.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Good job with the journal so far. I've just started one myself as well. We have similar stats: I'm 27, 240 lbs and am 6 feet tall.

I did PB for four months back in 2010 and lost 44 pounds. I'm just starting up again and am hoping to stay with it this time. Judging from what you're posting for your food intake, it doesn't look like you're eating enough. If I were you, I wouldn't be IFing at this stage in the game. Your main goal should be getting fat adapted. That means eating a high percentage of fate, moderate protein, and lots of vegetables. Try to cook for yourself if your family isn't supporting you in this. Also, Mark did a post a while back saying he wouldn't start IFing until after the third week of strict PB.

Don't worry about fasting and meal timings at the moment. Just eat when you're hungry and until you're satisfied, not overly full. Try to get some red meant, quality fish/seafood, and veg. in there. I'd skip on the fruit, as many people finds this stops weight-loss.

Good luck!

Thanks Flying pig and afsjesse,

The reason why I am IFing now, is to try and control my eating habbits, in the past I have been a habbitual and emotional eater, so always over ate. I figured that if I fasted, I could start to realise what proper hunger is, rather than the faux sensation one gets when they are down in the dumps, bored or stressed out etc. In hindsight though, this might exacerbate

Perhaps this isn't the way to go and I should maybe go strict primal for a few weeks and record my success.

Thanks!

EDIT:

Paleo Ice cream I came up with as a name for a recipe I made a while ago, its basically frozen summer berries a banana and a tsp of honey mixed in a blender until you get an icecream like consistency! It is yummy alternative! I have a sweet tooth :-s
    Last edited by urbancaveman; 08-20-2012 at 03:26 AM.

Note to self.... Must go to bed earlier!!

Felt really tired when I woke up this morning! not that tired feeling you get when you haven't eaten enough, but that tired feeling you get when you went to bed at midnight and had to be up at 6 :-s oh well!

If you are reading this, then you may have noticed that my format for my journal has changed! This is mainly because I just realised how boring it actually was! So here is me actively trying to make myself more interesting!

I skipped breakfast today, frankly its out of convenience more than anything! I wasn't hungry, I didn't have time so I thought sod it! only 5 hours till lunch! Lunch I think will be another salad from the canteen! Although I am contemplating going for a walk if the weather looks good! Tonight I think I will finish with chicken and veg! will have to see!

This evening though I am going to go to boot camp! I haven't been for yonks! But I do miss it and some of the people that go! So I am going to go back and do some exercise!! The format of bootcamp is quite similar to the PBF from my understanding! Small amounts of sprinting, lots of body weight resistance exercises, core, plyometrics and a little bit of running! As well as exercising my social muscles as well!! :-)

Hope you all have a great day!

I had a spot of weakness last night I ended up eating grains and a lot of them!!! :-s don't ask me why I don't know!! But put it this way waking up this morning was a ball ache and I felt sick!! So note to self... Grains make me ill!! I just hope that the binge last night didn't screw up my hardwork the past 2 weeks!

breakfast this morning consisted of 2 micropoached eggs with ketchup (oops) and a banana!

Have a good day!

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    Let it be a good lesson! I went through a few of those myself and actually think it is beneficial in the long run. If you eat a clean diet you'll be more sensitive to the bad stuff and really feel the "poison" acting. Do that a few times and you'll learn to make the association. Don't worry too much about it. One suggestion would be to up your fat intake if you feel cravings. That really helped me and I haven't had any cravings since. Cheat days were beneficial for me in the beginning, but now I see them as counterproductive as they stall progress.

Thanks FlyingPig, some good advice I will take into account!! :-)

Ok, I think I am not eating enough! Just to reiterate what I ate yesterday...

breakfast

2 eggs, 1 banana
    lunch

Large salad, with egg and prawns

Evening meal

I had some almonds, a piece of rump steak, with a tsp honey...

In all honesty I wasn't particularly hungry!! However, I did boot camp at BMF yesterday and all through the session I felt dizzy and afterwards my mates were telling me I looked like hell!

So I am going to have a think about how to increase my intake without a) force feeding b) eating carbs...

Today

Breakfast
    Venti Americano black (didn't have time for breakfast)

Lunch
    large salad with egg and prawns, fruit

Evening meal

I am going nandos!! so its going to be olives to start with...1/2 chicken with a side of sweet potato mash and a salad me thinks!!

Just as a side note... Does anyone on here do P90X at all?

Today is Friday I have a day off from work!! woohoo! But I have a slight problem. I have severe delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS) from wednesdays Exercise, which I am worried about because I am meant to be going on a hike on sunday! Does anyone know how to get rid of DOMS?

Last night I went to see bourned legacy it's an okay film, but I was rather tired and almost fell asleep toward the end!

This morning breakfast consisted of bacon and poached egg!! with a mug of black coffee!!

Lunch is going to consist of honey roasted chicken with skin, and a rocket, avocado and walnut salad!

I also bought myself a marrow bone, so I am going to make myself some bone broth with it and the chicken carcass (I bought a whole chicken!!)

Hope you all have a good day

UC

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast