Thread: Coconut Oil Cleanse? page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Coconut Oil Cleanse?

Shop Now
    I saw mention of this on the Leptin thread... but the thread is so long I couldn't find whether anyone had actually done it and what the results were and how it was done for... curious about it, though. I know everyone here says just eat primal, but sometimes I really feel the need to do a cleanse. Wondering if this might be a good one to do.

Here is what I found online:

A coconut oil cleanse is a very simple detoxification method that replaces regular food with coconut oil, usually for about 3-7 days. Start your day with two tablespoons of coconut oil and take 1-2 tablespoons throughout the day as necessary for up to 14 tablespoons total each day.

The best kind of coconut oil to use to detoxify is organic, raw extra virgin coconut oil. This type of oil should be completely unrefined, expeller- or cold-pressed, unbleached and not deodorized. This ensures you are getting the maximum natural benefits from your coconut oil.

Some people will experience "die-off" symptoms when they begin a coconut oil detox. These symptoms are often flu-like, including headaches, joint stiffness, dizziness and foggy-thinking. It may not feel so good, but it's a sign that your body is ridding itself of harmful toxins like fungal organisms. Die-off symptoms usually only last for 3-5 days, but you can ease them by gradually introducing coconut oil to your diet before doing a detox.

During a coconut oil detox, it's important to drink plenty of filtered water to nourish the body and facilitate cleansing benefits. Here is a recipe for a delicious drink that can replenish you during a cleanse:

1 cup pure lemon juice
    6 cups filtered water
    1 teaspoon sea salt

The lemon juice has cleansing properties, and the sea salt replaces minerals that may be lost during a cleanse. Add stevia for a sweeter taste, but do not sweeten with any kind of sugar.

Learn more: Learn How to Detox with a Coconut Oil Cleanse

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    This is a cleanse I have done a few times in the past (and I'm not a huge cleanse fanatic at all) and I highly recommend it. It takes a great deal of mental strength to complete the cleanse past 2 days. All that coconut oil definitely clears you out. I highly recommend the lemon-salt drink while you do this, almost to the point of necessity.
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Great... thanks for the response! What were some of the benefits you experienced? Did you do it 3 day? Yes, I wouldn't do it without the lemon/salt water.

boxcarguy07 is offline Senior Member
    I experienced lots of pooping! LOL aside from that, I felt very clear-headed after the cleanse and I had no more sugar cravings (for a while, until I messed that up)
    I never know what to put in these things. I write songs!

Ripped is offline Senior Member
    Why do you need the coconut oil? Why not just do a straight water fast for a few days? It sounds to me like just another way to market coconut oil, a food that clearly wouldn't have been available during primal times anyways, because it requires processing to get it.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    There is no such thing as a "cleanse" or a "detox". I wish someone with sciency smarts would debunk this shit once and for all.
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Quote Originally Posted by Ripped View Post
    Why do you need the coconut oil? Why not just do a straight water fast for a few days? It sounds to me like just another way to market coconut oil, a food that clearly wouldn't have been available during primal times anyways, because it requires processing to get it.
    - Candida. In modern society, candida overgrowth is almost an epidemic. More people are experiencing systemic candida, when the problem spreads throughout the body and causes a myriad of unpleasant side effects. A coconut oil detox is completely void of sugar and other carbohydrates, which effectively starves off all candida in the system. People who suffer from candida will notice many conditions improve or disappear after a coconut oil detox, including sugar cravings, fatigue, eczema, acne, repeat sinus infections and poor concentration.

- Fungal infections. Often connected with candida, repeat fungal infections like ringworm and jock itch are linked to an imbalance of bacteria and fungal organisms in the body. The lauric acid and caprylic acid in coconut oil are antifungal, so a coconut oil detox is an effective way to cleanse the entire system of fungal growth. Many people with fungal conditions report a complete recovery within the cleansing period.

- Digestive conditions. A coconut oil detox can help banish digestive conditions like irritable bowl syndrome (IBS) and leaky gut syndrome by restoring health and balance to the digestive system.

- Viruses. Lauric acid, which is found in abundance in coconut oil, is converted into monolaurin in the body, which has strong antiviral properties that can protect against and even destroy lipid-coated viruses like herpes and influenza.

Quote Originally Posted by Chaohinon View Post
    There is no such thing as a "cleanse" or a "detox". I wish someone with sciency smarts would debunk this shit once and for all.
    Okay... then coconut oil "diet"

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    call it what it is: a fat fast. 2-3 days isn't a sufficient duration to cure candida or any of the other conditions you listed. those can take weeks, or even months, to resolve.

your body detoxes itself through the skin, liver and the kidneys. a primal diet will optimize the performance of those organs, and likely heal things like ibs.

as someone who spent decades with disordered eating i totally get how great you feel after a few days of no food. as somebody who now feels pretty good about my relationship with food, i still don't think periodic fasting is a bad thing. but farking hell, it's not a "cleanse".
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway