Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Trying to add mass to my frame - struggling!!! page 7

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It was never my intention to derail anything, much less your thread.

You were once 240 as you said. I would suspect that you had a bit higher BF% at that weight. I too have been up in that range. I think that you are going to find it very difficult to add a lot of lean mass at the BF% you are now. At 7-8% I'd be 175-180 at most. I'm 5'-8" though.

Good luck! Hope you are able to make some more progress.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I am no one to give advice in this department, so I won't. Instead, let me share my experience:

I was SUPER strict paleo (carbs only from fruit/veggies, no dairy) for about a year. In that year, i made almost ZERO gains in the gym. In a year. No matter how hard I pushed, I just couldn't increase my weights, and I am not exxagerating when I say that 1 year later, I was using mostly all the same starting weights. I was so disappointed, that I came very close to giving up on the whole weightlifting thing.

Then, deciding to experiment, I tried a carb-reload day. And miraculously the next day, I increased several of my weights. Within 2 months of carb meals directly before and after the gym, I had DOUBLED my leg press...I started paying close attention to my carb consumption and my weightlifting progress. A decent carby meal (potaoes, white rice, mainly) within a day of the gym, I was guaranteed to increase my weights on at least one, if not more, excercises. No carbs for a while = I struggled to just maintain, forget ever increasing anything.

I agree with TFarny that there is no reason to be insulin phobic. Our digestive systems are designed to secrete insulin when we eat ANYTHING except for pure fat. Even protein stimulates insulin release. In fact, from what I've been reading, having a carefully timed insulin spike immediately after weightlifting can lead to some impressive muscle gains, which is why a lot of bodybuilders are really into drinking milk right after a workout.

MouthDR is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I am no one to give advice in this department, so I won't. Instead, let me share my experience:

I was SUPER strict paleo (carbs only from fruit/veggies, no dairy) for about a year. In that year, i made almost ZERO gains in the gym. In a year. No matter how hard I pushed, I just couldn't increase my weights, and I am not exxagerating when I say that 1 year later, I was using mostly all the same starting weights. I was so disappointed, that I came very close to giving up on the whole weightlifting thing.

Then, deciding to experiment, I tried a carb-reload day. And miraculously the next day, I increased several of my weights. Within 2 months of carb meals directly before and after the gym, I had DOUBLED my leg press...I started paying close attention to my carb consumption and my weightlifting progress. A decent carby meal (potaoes, white rice, mainly) within a day of the gym, I was guaranteed to increase my weights on at least one, if not more, excercises. No carbs for a while = I struggled to just maintain, forget ever increasing anything.

I agree with TFarny that there is no reason to be insulin phobic. Our digestive systems are designed to secrete insulin when we eat ANYTHING except for pure fat. Even protein stimulates insulin release. In fact, from what I've been reading, having a carefully timed insulin spike immediately after weightlifting can lead to some impressive muscle gains, which is why a lot of bodybuilders are really into drinking milk right after a workout.
    Thanks for sharing that! In some ways, that does resonate with me. However, the difference being that my weights so far have been steadily increasing. I know what I need to do: increase some "safe" carbs and alter my training to some degree. However, like I mentioned before, I will at first try and use the Anabolic Diet methodology and keep carb refeeds to 1-2 days max. I have to be honest, with all my medical training, experience, etc. I simply can't agree with the notion that steady carb feeds throughout the day/week are somehow harmless. I simply don't agree with that. However, I also don't think that an occasional carb will necessarily harm you either. Everyone is different. I never had too many issues with high carb (no weight gain for example) BUT it definitely made me a person you did not want to be around when hungry. Headaches, moodiness, poor sleep. And that poses issues in my line of work! LOL Joking aside, I feel a lot better on low carb, which is why I'm so resistant to upping my carb count.

HOWEVER, I will try it in the name of science. And will keep everyone posted.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567