Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred page

healthy11 is offline Senior Member

Jillian Michael's 30 Day Shred

Shop Now
    Hello...

Anyone here do this workout? It is intense, so my question is can I count this workout as my sprinting and if so how many times per week should I do it? Would three times per week be too much? Also, can I count it as heavy lifting in addition to sprinting or not? There are push-ups, squats, etc.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I would say it could be your lifting. I found it to be really hard on my knees.

Really? From what I know when lifting you have rest in between and you aren't so much out of breath. With this workout I feel like I am sprinting and lifting at the same time so not sure how to classify it. Feels like sprinting because I am winded for the whole 20-30 minutes, but also there is some strength involved. Would love to count it as both, but not sure.

Not sure how many times per week, either, because I don't want to be doing "chronic cardio".

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    It's not long enough in duration for chronic cardio. When I do PBF I don't rest much between sets so there's a cardio component. Sprinting is an all out thing for about 10s. 1-2 minute intervals won't allow you to push yourself enough to be sprints.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Why can't it be both?

If it's not too hard on you, 3x per week is fine. I was doing it M/W/F for a while. Have considered starting it back up again.

Thanks Diana... just wasn't sure if I had to lift heavy weights. It's a great workout. I was doing it four days a week and then one of her longer ones one day a week and it was too much so I think three days a week would be a good balance.

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Feels like sprinting because I am winded for the whole 20-30 minutes, but also there is some strength involved. Would love to count it as both, but not sure. Not sure how many times per week, either, because I don't want to be doing "chronic cardio".
    Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Would three times per week be too much?
    I get the impression that you truly hate working out. And to be honest, I don't think you will be able to follow an exercise regimen for long with that attitude.

No, Kharnath, I don't hate working out. I enjoy working out... I also walk my dog for an hour everyday. I just want to make sure I am doing the right types of workouts. Don't judge my attitude... you don't know me.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    having done it I would definitely count it as both. Thinking about it I have done a few of her DVDs. Is it the 20 minute one? I used to do it twice, as just felt 20 minutes wasn't enough sometimes. Though in your case if you are also doing an hours walk you wouldn't need to.
    I do something similar at my circuit class and count it as both. It is very high intensity.
    Good luck

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I would combine L2 and L3. JM iirc was insufferable in part I in her commentary, and the increase in difficulty is minimal between L2/L3, while her comments are much less annoying. JM's workouts are mainly targeting HIT. It is a different type of workout than either sprints or heavy lifting. It targets muscular endurance rather than muscular strength (high reps, light weight). You will get cardio benefit from it as well, but not the intense, focused all out challenge of sprints. It tires you out without peaking efforts because it targets endurance in both categories.

You can either concentrate on HIT training, doing combined JM's workouts 3-4x a week (or do the 20 min one daily) + play
    or you can do 1 combined JM for your HIT session, 2 serious heavy lifting sessions (low reps sets, heavy weight building up to close to your body weight) and 1 sprint.

I would caution against staying with JM workouts as a primary strength workout for too long. At some point soon your cardio endurance gets into sinc with the DVD, and after 15-20 lbs dumbbells you can't really increase the strength efficiency to grow muscle on her routines. You will just get better and better at lifting those same dumbbells for 1 min, and hence challenge your body less and less.

At deficits you will start shredding muscle like crazy on her stuff if you aim for weight loss. Now, if you are muscular type, no biggie, but if you are like a lot of women, you might end up completely stripping upper body from muscle, while your thighs and hip area will retain most of the fat. I have sported that 'concentration camp above the waist/Rubence gal below the waist' look as a result of this training and did not like it.
    Last edited by Leida; 08-13-2012 at 05:15 AM.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast