Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New girl here and a question! page

PrimeApe is offline Junior Member

New girl here and a question!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi everyone!

I just found this website last week and am attempting the Primal diet. I am a 24 year old new mom to a sweet little boy. He is 12 weeks old as of yesterday! Isn't he cute?

IMG_1600.JPG

Anyway! Here is my question: Ever since I started trying to eat primal I have been way more tired and even dizzy at times. I am nursing so I burn a lot of calories (which is great!) but I feel like I'm doing something wrong since I'm so tired now.

Any advice would be great!

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    If you are experiencing dizzy spells you may want to contact your doctor.

It could be a side effect of carb flu. Especially since you are nursing focus on getting some healthy carbs from sweet potatoes, and even upping your fruit.

Can you give an example of what you eat in a day?
    Last edited by Dirlot; 08-12-2012 at 12:54 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

What is carb flu? I guess I need to check out google!

Well here's today:

Breakfast: Peanut butter and banana smoothie with protein powder
    Lunch: Tuna salad, cottage cheese, and an apple
    Dinner: Planning on having Salmon, Brussels sprouts, and salad

This is a pretty typical day for me. Perhaps I need to add in some snacks.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimeApe View Post
    What is carb flu? I guess I need to check out google!

Well here's today:

Breakfast: Peanut butter and banana smoothie with protein powder
    Lunch: Tuna salad, cottage cheese, and an apple
    Dinner: Planning on having Salmon, Brussels sprouts, and salad

This is a pretty typical day for me. Perhaps I need to add in some snacks.
    That does not look like enough food for a nursing, new mom. I've nursed 2 children, second is still nursing at 26 months. Be sure you are drinking enough - to thirst. Don't be afraid of carbs while nursing (it doesn't look like you are). I would also suggest a bigger, higher protein breakfast of real food. Hardboiled eggs are easy to eat one-handed if need be. Peanut butter (what kind?) is generally not primal and can be very high in sugar. Combined with a banana, you could be getting a large sugar crash.

That being said, I experienced dizzy spells from the time my youngest was 6 months old (11/2008) until just recently. Never found the reason and other moms have experienced similar things.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Congrats on your little bundle of joy!

My wife really struggled with energy when we had our first, and it turned out that she wasn't eating enough food. She switched from margarine to butter (we were pre-primal then) and her milk production and energy levels surged.

So, maybe more butter?

Looking at your daily food diary, more fat in general is probably needed.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

As was said above not enough food. You are eating for two so enjoy.

Carb flu is a term coined when people cut the high sugar grains. Some people go though a type of withdraw once the cut the grains and eat healthy.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I actually usually have eggs for breakfast along with bacon but today I was in a hurry! With the protein I use I get 24 grams of protein which I think is pretty substantial! We use natural peanut butter so there isn't any sugar and I can't give that up...I love it too much! I do drink a lot of water too. What kind of carbs do you recommend?

Magicmerl- More butter?! I love butter! Great advice

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Welcome!

Can I ask what brought you to the Primal Blueprint and what you hope to achieve by eating this way? Cut fat, lose weight, address food allergies/intolerances, cure leaky gut, build muscle, manage diabetes... your goals will determine your food choices.

Primal foods include mostly meat, seafood, eggs, all kinds of veggies that grow above the dirt...and to a lesser degree fruit, nuts, full fat dairy (if you tolerate it) and veggies that grow below the ground (potatoes, sweet potatoes, root veggies)

Primal does not include wheat, glutinous grains, soy, corn, seed oils (canola, corn, soybean & vegetable oils), legumes (that includes peanuts) or processed foods containing any of the above. If your food a) comes in a package, and b) has wheat, corn or soy in the ingredient list, you shouldn't be eating it. Check your protein powder...is it whey protein or soy protein?

Eat foods in their natural state, not refined or processed. Your foods look ok, but you don't say how much you're eating. Probably not enough of everything, and probably not enough fat. From here that looks like crash diet menu from a women's magazine (the cottage cheese is the tip off). No wonder you're weak and dizzy.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

I came to the primal diet because I want to be healthy. I am at a good weight and I don't have any medical reason to choose this diet (yet) I just decided that there is no reason to be eating processed foods or grains. I did not get my meal advice from a women's magazine. I simply like cottage cheese. I am certainly not attempting a crash diet, as I only weigh 115 pounds and have no need for a diet!

And I know peanuts aren't on the diet, but I have a very intense love affair with peanut butter!

Sweet potatoes, rice if you need to, lots of veg...all there.
    If you have not read the book or the primer you really should.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 08-12-2012 at 07:12 PM.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast