Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Seaweed Recipes? page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Primal Seaweed Recipes?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone have any to share. I would like to up my sea vegetable intake. I used a nori wrap with my eggs this morning---a bit strong tasting, however! I also have this:
    Sea Seasonings - Dulse Granules Shaker [GDUSHA] : Maine Coast Sea Vegetables, Sustainably Harvested and Certified Organic
    and use these to "season" my food. Just thinking I might need a larger intake than some flakes! Any ideas/suggestions are welcomed! Thanks!!

FlyingPig is offline Senior Member
    I just eat salted sea weed on its own. It is a great snack, no need for fancy recipes!

Paleobird Guest
    I highly recommend Sea Tangle brand kelp noodles and SeaSnax which are crunch and yummy. I get both at a place called Netrition.com. They also have good deals on stuff like coconut oil. (No, I don't work for them.)

The noodles can be made into a salad using a sesame oil dressing or you can heat them and use like regular noodles. They soak up the flavor of whatever you are cooking really well.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i have dried wakame and ulva. they BLOW UP to a huge amount when cooked, lol. but i cook a big batch and add it to salmon and greens or just reheat it with bone broth and eggs. i also put a sheet of kombu in the bone broth when i make the batch. it disintegrates in there.

next trip to the asian grocer i will buy nori to use as wraps.

i bought some salted, toasted seaweed as a snack. oooh, boy, lol. super yummy, but i ate the whole container in like 2 days and was waaaaaaaaaay too regular. it was ouchy.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    WHFoods: Shiitake Mushroom Seaweed Soup

I think the soy sauce could be left out of this and the soup would still be good.

Shiitake Mushroom Seaweed Soup

Try this delicious combination of seaweed and shiitake mushrooms to add an extra boost of minerals to your Healthiest Way of Eating. Enjoy!

Prep and Cook Time: 30 minutes

Ingredients:
    6 whole dried medium shiitake mushrooms
    6 cups warm water
    4 medium-sized pieces wakame seaweed
    1 medium onion, quartered and sliced thin
    3 medium cloves garlic, chopped
    2 TBS minced fresh ginger
    2 TBS dry vegetable stock powder
    2 TBS chopped dulse seaweed
    2 TBS soy sauce
    1 TBS rice vinegar
    3 TBS minced scallion greens for garnish
    salt and white pepper to taste

Directions:

Rinse mushrooms and wakame and soak in 2 cups of warm water for about 10 minutes, or until soft. Save water.
    Heat 1 TBS mushroom-seaweed water in medium-sized soup pot. Add onion and Healthy Sauté over medium heat for about 5 minutes stirring frequently. Add garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for another minute.
    When mushrooms and wakame are soft, slice the mushrooms thin and chop the seaweed. Cut out stems when slicing mushrooms and discard. Add to soup pot along with soaking water, and 4 more cups of water and dry vegetable stock. Bring to a boil on high heat.
    Add dulse.
    Once it returns to a boil, reduce heat to medium and simmer uncovered for about 10 minutes. Season with soy sauce, rice vinegar, salt, and pepper. Add minced scallion and serve.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    i made some karengo pesto the other day. karengo is like nori i think? just chuck it in the blender with some hazelnuts, some garlic, some olive oil and whatever else you want. i had it with a venison steak. i then decided to google "karengo pesto recipe" just to see if anything came up and found this

Mediterranean - Seaweed Recipes

i've made a version of these using nuts and no peanuts with dried kelp

Curious Kai: WILDFOOD #2: Wild Weeds - Nut Bars with Karengo Goodness!

then there is manuka honey and karengo icecream. which is just normal icecream, well honey, egg yolks and cream with a splash of vanilla essence and some karengo flakes.

even do a google for say karengo recipes, or seaweed recipes, you will get loads of ideas you can adapt to be primal or paleo.

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!
    THank you---you all are a great resource!

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I use Dulse in packs. I add them in the hot broth whenever my concerns about iodine and hunger overwhelm my hatred of the sea-weed, mix it in with a spoon for a few minutes while psyching myself up, then squeeze my nose shut and bottoms up. I tried adding them to soups, but it really manages to spoil the flavor. I love the seafood, all of it, but seaweeds and lobsters. Luckily, one doesn't have to eat lobsters.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    I love getting my seaweed in with traditional Korean/Japanese wakame seaweed salads with vinegar, temari, sesame oil, ginger, and some sugar. I also like Korean soup with bone broth and kombu.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    I picked up bull weed yesterday and tried it toasted. Much better than dulse, but very salty!
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast