Thread: Taking a Week Off? page

Graycat is offline Senior Member

Taking a Week Off?

Primal Fuel
    I've been very good and regular with my workouts (lots of walking, running, sprints, some lifting and some calisthenics) for some time now. I recently read forum post, that it's good to take some time off every once in a blue moon. I'm thinking of taking the entire next week off from structured exercise. I'll still be doing a lot of moving around and climbing stairs at home etc.

Could someone tell me what the benefits of that might be and is that a good idea at all?

Louisa655 is offline Senior Member
    Unless you need a break "mentally" from working out, there's no big benefit to taking "a week off". I'm guessing that your workouts aren't crazy cardio and heavy, heavy lifting where you might be burning out? If your working out is just regular, or normal, there's really no gain from a short break. On average, the body begins to realize loss after 3 weeks of not working out.
    ----------------------------------------
    F, 48, 5'10"
    Start Date: 25-06-12 @ 161lbs
    Goal Reached: 30-09-12 @ 143lb. Now bouncing between 145lb - 149lb. I'd like less bounce and more consistency :-)

Started Cross Fit 20.12.12 ---- Can't wait to submit my success story on the 1st anniversary of starting primal.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with taking a break back in my uni days when I first started lifting I was training hard, adding weight each time and just before Christmas hit a wall. Left the gym weighting in the 160s came back in January weighing in the 180s my body needed it and the muscle sure packed on and it has stayed on!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Vick is offline Senior Member
    Doing resistance training, I have always come back stronger when I took a week off.

counterpuncher is offline Senior Member
    If you feel beat up from your routines, maybe dial it back a bit for a time so your recovery catches up, then ramp it back up.
    I would feel lethargic if I took a week off and did nothing. A week of reduced workload, or an active rest week where I did something fun while staying active would suit me better.
    A change can be as good as a rest.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    A light week once a month to 6 weeks is standard practice in most training programs. It certainly won't hurt you and you may find you come back stronger and fresher. At some point you need down time to repair the damage that training does to you. Many people report setting personal bests after a week's total rest. YMMV.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Thanks guys. I'm so used to exercising 6 days a week, but I think I'll try to stay away from it over the next several days.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Life is not linear! It is not as though you will fall apart if you do something different for a week or two. Sometimes I just plan on it and other times things get in the way and I end up doing no structured training for a period. It can do wonders for you. Listen to your body and by all means take a week away from it and do what feels right. You'll come back re-charged and ready to hit it good.

Quote Originally Posted by CyrusMccasl View Post
    I'm guessing that your workouts aren't crazy cardio and heavy
    No. Nothing crazily intense.