Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for former vegetarians page

Gilleh is offline Senior Member

Question for former vegetarians

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey guys, so I was just wondering
    You know how when you eat grains after a long while without them, you feel like shit?
    Is it because grains are just bad for us, or is it because we're just not used to it again -

When you eat meat after a long while of not eating it, did you feel any bad side effects?
    Were you needed an adjusting period?
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Keeping in mind that I do not have a particularly sensitive digestive system and I have always been able to eat just about anything without any issue....

I was vegetarian for probably about 8 years (late childhood through mid teenage years) and when I went back to eating meat I just went straight back to eating it. I still didn't eat a lot of it regularly because my parents were both vegetarian at the time so I didn't eat it at home but I could down a hamburger at a restaurant with no trouble at all. So the meat never gave me trouble.

On the other hand when I ended my first bout of primal eating I tore into a shit ton of food that contained grains (it was thanksgiving and my dad makes awesome rolls and there was some other stuff too) and other than feeling too full because I ate 3 times as much food as I usually do I was fine.

About the only thing I notice about grains is that when I eat them I fart a bit and the farts actually stink. But its not a big issue in terms of discomfort or anything. Just the occasional fart.

So I would say that like everything diet related it really depends on each individual and how you react to different foods.
    Last edited by Noctiluca; 08-12-2012 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Spelling

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I went raw vegan for 3 month stretches(as long as I could hold out). I always had indigestion issues with eating animal proteins(including eggs). It's because your stomach stops producing the type of acid used to digest meat/animal foods. Rotten egg burps are gross, but my body always started right back up after that. I don't ever remember having indigestion at the 2nd meat/animal meal.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    Hey guys, so I was just wondering
    You know how when you eat grains after a long while without them, you feel like shit?
    Is it because grains are just bad for us, or is it because we're just not used to it again -

When you eat meat after a long while of not eating it, did you feel any bad side effects?
    Were you needed an adjusting period?
    When I ended a 10 year stint as a fish-eating vegetarian the only adjustment period was mental. My first meat was steak and it was delicious. It took a while before I could eat hamburger or chicken. I could eat steak right away. It was all mental.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I haven't had trouble with meat. At all. However, my husband can't seem to eat it. He eats fish and bacon.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    I went from vegetarian to macrobiotic which was vegan in it's East Coast iteration. When I started back on goat whey (in India) from the family goat, I felt much better/stronger/happier. Then onto pastured eggs, then fresh caught fish, & it was love @ 1st bite! No issues, other than feeling great regaining weight I had lost, & having tons more energy...

And so I would say, make sure the source(s) are top quality, pure & fresh.

I'm a qualitarian omnivore, grains are about the only things I'm not eating. Unlike when I was a veg, I eat beans only sometimes lately, but I really do enjoy them whenever I do. Vegetarianism/veganism was ok a little while, to clean me out. It was disastrous long term.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

palebluedots is offline Senior Member
    I have been vegan for most of the last 12 years, raw vegan for a year of that. I had absolutely NO digestive troubles going back to eggs and meat. And I haven't gone back to dairy and do not plan to, so I can't speak for that. I can say that after doing a year as a raw vegan, and then briefly trying to go back to being a normal vegan, I found that I can no longer tolerate beans at all. Which worked out pretty well, because that ultimately led me to find primal, and now I feel a zillion times better. But no, eating meat after 12 years, the only thing I felt was very full and satisfied.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I didn't feel any side effects when I started eating meat again.

I did with dairy, though. So, I stick to butter and use it sparingly.

SacredBeaver is offline Junior Member
    nope! the only time an animal food caused me upset was once when i was at a buffet and had some pho soup broth. I thought it was vegetarian, as the sign indicated, but I learned that the signs had been switched. i noticed this after i had had 2 bowls. the second i knew, my stomach started hurting and i felt like vomiting. but there were plenty of times that i had ingested animal products and not known, and i was always fine then. my first bite of meat after making the switch mentally, i felt AMAZING

homunculus is offline Member
    I was raw vegan and I introduced fish back first with no issues. Had some digestive issues with chicken/turkey but none with beef. Oh and eggs made me very sick at first too.
    “There is immeasurably more left inside than what comes out in words…”
    — Fyodor Dostoevsky

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast