Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diabetic success stories? page

kerb Guest

Primal Fuel

Hi all!

I stumbled across "The Primal Blueprint" (and this forum) today by way of one of my facebook acquaintances. I read on the site where following the primal blueprint can increase insulin sensitivity?

Are there any type II diabetics on the forum who have had success with this?

I take medicine for my diabetes (no insulin yet, thankfully) but I still struggle keeping my glucose down. I get in a pretty good martial arts workout at minimum one hour twice a week, usually three times a week since last October.

While my endurance has been getting somewhat better, it still isn't where I want it to be. After 5 minutes of sparring/grappling I'm completely gassed. I know this is partly because of my diet - I just don't eat enough - but I believe that my insulin resistance plays a big factor, too.

I would love to get to the point where I could discontinue my diabetes medication, and make it through a sparring session without getting clobbered 10 minutes in because I'm too worn out to move or keep my hands up!

Stabby is offline Senior Member

I have never had insulinissues but a lot of people around here and all over the paleo community swear by eliminating the main dietary cause of diabetes, being carbs and especially fructose. There is more to developing it than just carbs, but the one thing that most agree upon is the importance pf eliminating the large, prolonged glucose-spikes that cause so much damaging to the body.

Here's a study http://www.mcgraw-hill.co.uk/html/0071621504.html

I think reducing fructose is just as, if not more, important than starch, but it's clear that both are bad guys.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Also paleo makes you eliminate a lot of other things like lectins which can damage insulin-receptors and phytates that can create magnesium deficiency, further-exacerbating the problem. It's just an unbelievably healthy way of living and eating and the benefits are so far-reaching that you might as well give it a try.

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

I'm not a diabetic, but my A1C went from 6.0 to 5.7 on the Paleo diet. I'm fairly confident that it's even lower now, but I'll have to let you know in a week or so when this latest test is back.

I think your energy level will probably go up. A lot of people here talk about a "low-carb flu" in the beginning. It's said to make you sluggish for the first few days, up to weeks, but I didn't have any of that. Though I will say that I didn't realize just how much better I felt until I ate poorly for a bit.

You can use the search box above to search the forum here, but I'd probably recommend searching while on the "home" tab. You'll come up with more than enough to keep you reading for a while, but you can start with this: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

Oh, just in case you didn't know, Paleo is similar, but there are some differences with the Primal Blueprint guidelines that have made all the difference in the world for me.

TenYearStorm Guest

When I eat the SAD I have "prediabetes" because my blood sugar spikes. When I eat low cab it NEVER gets above 100mg/dl!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Info here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/diabetes/

Read Griff's story http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-b...of-a-new-life/ and ongoing here http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...al-%28Griff%29

(Griff is a highly respected guy on these forums, an expert on cholesterol, and all round fantastic person )

DebFM is offline Senior Member

Hey there, kerb! I was prediabetic (thanks to PB I'm back into normal range) and my mom is T2. Mom eats PB about 90% of the time & it's really helped her get control of her blood sugar. She's even doing a 6-month doc-approved trial w/o her meds (she was on Glucophage). She's 65 and was diagnosed T2 about 15 years ago. She's lost quite a bit of weight, has more energy and feels great. She works at a garden center, too, and does a lot of heavy lifting. She's noticed she has more muscular strength this year as she gets into some of the more heavy duty work at the garden center.

She did have to keep tabs on her blood sugar when she started PB to make sure she didn't go too low. So if you want to try it, it's certainly worth trying! Good luck!

kerb Guest

Thanks everybody for the responses.

I'm definitely going to give it a primal blueprint / paleo a try.

gottaluvalab is offline Senior Member

Hi Kerb. I am a type II diabetic, diagnosed about 4-5 months ago with a fasting blood glucose in the mid-300's. I did not have an A1c at diagnosis. About six weeks after diagnosis, my A1C was 7.8.

I immediately went mostly-unprocessed foods and lower carb, and have slowly gone more and more "primal"-- though I definitely keep that 20 percent leeway, for emotional/social/mental health reasons.

From what I can figure out, although everyone is different, I'm pretty lucky to be keeping my BG where it is. I'm not sure it's good enough, and I do take glipizide. I have another blood test next month. I DO know that when I stray too much from "primal," it soars.

I do feel great, and I've lost about 40 pounds since November. However, I plateau often and right now I'm stuck.

A number of us track BG in our journals on here--I do, and I believe pianodoctorlady and baglady do as well, and I think I'm forgetting someone. You might check out the journals of Griff and DiabetesCanKissMyButt, I believe they are happy with their successes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast