Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fruits, any off limits?? page

beeface is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

hey. just checking, what is the status on how many, and which types of fruits are allowed each day?

i am an athlete person, 1.5-2 hours heavy duty training a day...off days yoga, (and still sneak in a spin class or something)

but I LOVE fruit, and just needed to make sure i was good to go to indulge all day every day, (or not)

thanks for any advice. and of course recommendations for best fruits, worst fruits.

thnx

Enjoy a healthy day!

Lolly is offline Member

i'm active but still limit fruits to 2 servings per day. i just don't want all that sugar coursing through me. I choose carby vegetables for my workout fuel. my fruit choices are almost always berries and/or a small apple (not the 'roid boy apples you see in most supermarkets).

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

You probably shouldn't go totally crazy with the fruit if you're looking for optimal health, since fruit contains modest to high amounts of fructose (particularly modern varieties bred for high fructose content). 15-30g/day of fructose is ideal (presuming no alcohol intake), since it improves insulin sensitivity without producing pathology.

Berries are the best choice, since they don't contain much fructose and are among the most endowed with beneficial phytochemicals. Other than that, you might not want to make a staple of particularly high fructose fruits like watermelon, but periodic indulgence in even pretty substantial amounts of fruit is unlikely to do you any harm.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

verdilak is offline Member

I go with putting all fruits in the off-limits category when I want to lose weight.

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

one_eye_mike Guest

I stay away from high sugar content fruits such as bananas, pineapple, grapes and stick with less sweet apples, strawberries and other berries when in season.

dsantana is offline Senior Member

I tend to eat berries as a breakfast staple. Honestly I don't crave fruit that much, but do use them as a dessert from time to time. When I grill I will often throw a few pineapple slices on the grill. Fruit skewers are awesome. Skewer some strawberries and maybe a pineapple chunks and grill for a minute.

beeface is offline Junior Member

so how about stone fruits? like unripe plums, nectarines, etc? cherries? if they are pretty unripe, more on the crunchy side, then they contain less sugar, right? that is what i heard about bananas...the greener, less squishy, the better (sugarwise)?!

does anyone know?

Enjoy a healthy day!

Griff is offline Senior Member

Have no more than two servings of fruit per day, and preferably less than that. And limit it to berries.

Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

They contain less sugar, however, they contain more starch. (As fruits ripen, the starch content breaks down into sugar.) At least I think I remember that's how it is.

"No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Athena is offline Senior Member

I have fruit whenever i feel I need something sweet, im not very active so i try to keep it to 2-3x a week. I choose whatever is in season or looks good in my area. Right now oranges are everywhere and delicious so ill stick to those. Yeah i know its higher in fructose but i consider it part of my 20%

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast