Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Paging Doctor Griff... and maybe a Molecular Grokologist page 2

Asturian is offline Senior Member

@ Grokologist

As for your numbers, LDL itself is not a very good predictor of CHD risk. Low LDL patients have heart attacks at nearly the same rate as high LDL ones. HDL/LDL ratio is a bit better as a predictor, but you have to bear in mind that this presumes that all LDL are the same. LDL particle size is an important predictor of CHD risk and particles tend to be larger and more difficult to oxidize in patients with high-fat diets, high saturated fat intake, low carbohydrate intake, and/or circulating ketones. As a result, you could have an LDL of 70 but have it all be Pattern B (small, dense) particles which oxidize easily and worm their way into your arterial lining or an LDL of 150 but have it mostly be the benign (and in many ways helpful) Pattern A type.

So how do pattern B particles worm their way into the arterial lining?

I was discussing with my PCP just last week and he thinks partical size does not matter if the arterial lining remains unscarred. He thinks the arterial lining becomes scarred by viral or bacterial mechanisms yet to be discovered. There also seems to be a strong correlation between gum disease and CVD.

What are your thoughts?

“It is a truism that almost any sect, cult, or religion will legislate its creeds into law if it acquires the political power to do so, and will follow it by suppressing opposition, subverting all education to seize early the minds of the young, and by killing, locking up, or driving underground all heretics.”
    —Robert A. Heinlein

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member

I've wondered about the dental/heart connection. I haven't really researched it, but could they be related because of the connection to refined carbohydrates and diseases of civilization rather than the mouth infection causing heart disease? I probably could have worded that better.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

@Allbeef Patty

Shamefully, I'm afraid those numbers mean nothing to me yet. They don't really teach you a ton about symptoms/reading tests as a biochemist, so I have to self-teach myself these things and hormone panels aren't something I've had much of a chance to look into.

From what I understand, the doctor's explanation of what is going on is plausible, and the thyroid bone is connected to the steroid hormone bone, as it were, but I'm going to have to get back to you.

@ Asturian

Yes, an undamaged arterial lining isn't very vulnerable at all to infiltration by oxidized lipoproteins. I think the correlation between gum disease and CVD is systemic inflammation. An inflamed vascular endothelium is a permeable vascular endothelium.

As far as what causes the inflammation, I wouldn't be surprised if glycation from excessive blood sugar, improper triggering of growth factor receptors by hyperinsulinemia, and n-6 PUFA-derived cytokines are the primary culprits.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

hazyjane is offline Senior Member

Looks like she's not converting her T4 to T3. Synthroid is just not sufficient for most people, esp. if they're poor converters.

I have a good resource for thyroid and autoimmune research. Datis Kharrazian is so far ahead of everyone else on the subject of functional endocrinology and thyroid disorders.His book helps you to identify exactly what's going on by blood test patterns. Apparently, a large % of hypothyroidism in the US is actually autoimmune in nature and it is very underdiagnosed (and even when it is, it's not treated properly).

Kharazian has figured out how to treat the underlying immune system imbalance and says that very few people actually need thyroid hormone supplelmentation.

http://www.thyroidbook.com/

Thanks, everyone!

Minxxa is offline Senior Member

I really need to read up on that, because I def. want to get off meds at some point.

I take Synthroid, but also Cytomel, which is T3. However if they're recommending the porcines, that includes both. Be aware that there's some issues right now with availability. And also might want to research the types of porcines. Armour, the most famous, underwent a formula change last year which for many people resulted in recurrence of symptoms.

If you (or your wife) is interested in learning more about all that, and get some hands on info regarding thyroid issues in general, I do highly recommend SparkPeople. It's a diet site (i dont use much of their CW info anymore except for the calorie counter), but there's a thyroid group on there that is awesome. The amount of info those ladies have on lab tests, meds, other issues (like taking your meds within a few hours of dairy of any kind will make the meds less effective because the calcium interferes), stuff like that. you can ask questions and you'll get tons of good info.

"Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

augirl47 is offline Junior Member

For the VAP test, try www.privatemdlabs.com.

I am in Alabama and it cost abount $100.

Thanks, Minxxa and Augirl47! I may get a metabolic panel too at prices like that!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just wanted to get this one on my list. I'll be obsessively checking my mailbox for results until they arrive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12