Thread: Core Exercise suggestion page

Mountain Beaver Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Anyone have great success with a set of core exercises for abdominals they can share or point me to? Thanks!

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member

Planks of any kind are good. However, if you concentrate on the big exercises such as squats, deadlifts and presses, with good form, your abs will get plenty of a workout.

Lolly is offline Member

i like weighted ab work to get good definition/sculpting/6pack. i like weighted crunches on a decline bench or stability ball if no bench available. i also like weighted russian twists, cable crunches, bicycle crunches and reverse crunches--all with weight.

adding weight really helps create "showy" abs.

bruce.b is offline Member

Leg raises are the core exercise you should be doing (pun intended). They are difficult and it takes some work to be able to do them but it's well worth it. On hanging leg raises you want to eventually do them with your legs straight (no bent knees), and be able to do reps with your legs straight out (hips 90%) in front of you and then finally be able to bring your feet up to the bar. Lots of info on the interweb.

http://www.tmuscle.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_repair/high_performance_core_training&cr=

Here's some good stuff on core and anterior pelvic tilt. Pelvic tilt=bad. An interesting thing McGill discovered is that excellent core strength-endurance correlates well to a healthy back, but strength alone didn't. Makes sense since the ability to stabilize your core for long periods of time is what will get you through the day or playing any sport.

I do planks too. After a couple of minutes they really start to burn, at least for me. It seems logical that they should be an excellent stability exercise. I'm all about function, but I have visible abs also.

bruce b.

bruce.b is offline Member

In case anyone doesn't know, Stuart McGill is the man when it comes to backs and core stability. His site is easy to find. I haven't read his books.

bruce b.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Yup. What Lolly said about weighted ab work being the key to definition. Weighted HLRs are my favorite.

BUT...none of that matters unless you're very lean.

I also concur with the poster who said that if core strength (vs definition) is your goal, you don't need to do any specific core work as long as you're doing heavy, full-body lifts.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

bpm
    bpm is offline Junior Member
    Playing devil's advocate, I've had real success with this workout (and trust me I'm no Men's Health fan, but this is a good one):

http://tinyurl.com/yhzyvjg

Mostly static. Try the intermediate one to start (the beginner is really easy). You might be surprised the next day at how sore you will get. Full disclosure, I rotate this kind of static program every 6 weeks or so with weighted crunches, so I'd agree those are good too.