Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Husband is underweight page

HeatherH is offline Member

Husband is underweight

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My husband is 32 and underweight. His family is very tall and slender on both sides. He is 6'4" and about 150lbs. He also has Huntington's disease. That can cause a decrease in appetite. No, there aren't any meds for that right now.

I went primal almost 1 year ago to lose some weight and cure PCOS. I love it, however, he wasn't on board. He (after his college nutrition class) thinks he needs plenty of whole grains and little fat/meat. At this point, he is ready to try it "my way" after seeing my improvements. I am having trouble trying to figure out how to get him enough calories. He needs at least 4,000 calories a day just to maintain weight. I'm not sure how to make him gain weight and still cut out grains and sugar. Anyone else in the same boat?
    Heather - 28yrs - Mom to 4 kiddos

SW - 188 - Aug 25th, 2011
    CW - 161 - Jan 26th, 2012 (5 months in)
    GW - 135ish

Blog - http://paleo4pcos.blogspot.com/

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    the answer is fat, as it keeps the volume low and the calories high.

my husband also has a very high metabolism, and the answer for him is fat. and bone broths. he has olive oil, coconut oil, butter, bacon grease (reserved), duck fat, and then also the fats that are just in foods like meats, nuts, seeds, avocados, and then just whatever else is out there that has fat in it naturally.

the largest volume of his diet is actually veggies -- which we usually steam in bone broth and then he drinks the bone broth as well (so he gets three cups a day) -- and then a bit of meat and then fat.

and he's satiated and able to maintain muscle (he's also a small body type, but no other diseases or issues) as he likes to lift weights.

NinaV is offline Junior Member
    I agree with zoebird about fat being the key, and here are a few ideas on how to go about it:
    Have you heard of Bulletproof Coffee? That can get you up to 1000 - 1500 cal before breakfast. Though I tried it as green tea and liked it too, same recipe, just substitute green tea brewed on a strong side.
    Also, cooking the types of veggies that "suck-up" fat a lot (mushrooms, roots, eggplants), obviously keeping in mind any allergies or intolerances.
    Making scrambled eggs with a whole lot of butter, because when you scramble the eggs and move them around during cooking, all the fat gets incorporated in to the egg mixture and they taste awesome, but you don't notice that they have a lot of fat in them.
    Serve avocado on the side of... well... everything
    Make use of nuts, again, if there are no allergies, and try to find good clean sources, organic if possible. Specifically - put nuts in salads, ground nut flour in to stews and sauces, bake Paleo desserts with nuts and nut flours. Here's a pumpkin pie.
    "Blush" all soups with a can or two of coconut milk. Or make puréed soups.
    Hope this helps
    Last edited by NinaV; 08-12-2012 at 12:34 AM.

HazelPrimalNut is offline Junior Member
    Nuts and Seeds are two of the most calories dense foods around. If you have a trail mix on hand for him to snack on it would help. A mixture of nuts; macademia, almonds, hazelnuts, seeds; pumpkin, hemp, sunflower and then some dried fruit - mango, raisins, prunes etc and I love a little coconut flake (all unsweetened of course) There are around 600 calories in just 100g of nuts so you really can get a lot of energy from a small amount.

HeatherH is offline Member
    Thanks for the advice. Another thing is he can't eat when he first gets up. Like for hours. He is sick to his stomach. Once he is able to eat he grazes all day long until late at night and then loads up on sugar and snacks.
    Heather - 28yrs - Mom to 4 kiddos

SW - 188 - Aug 25th, 2011
    CW - 161 - Jan 26th, 2012 (5 months in)
    GW - 135ish

Blog - http://paleo4pcos.blogspot.com/

Derpamix is offline Senior Member
    If you're looking to kill your husband's metabolism, then you've come to the right place
    Longing is the agony of the nearness of the distant

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, stick to nutrient dense foods like eggs, fatty meats, organs, butter, coconut and olive oils. Fill in the rest with whatever other primal foods he likes (sweet potato and fruit first...then add veggies), but make sure he's getting a good bit from those nutrient dense foods first.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    If you're looking to kill your husband's metabolism, then you've come to the right place
    Based on what? I eat 2000 to 3000 calories a day, almost all fat, and have done so for years. My health has never been better. Labs are great, energy is high, appetite is strong, slowly adding muscle, too! This way of eating was right for me. Maybe not for everyone, but it's been a cure-all for me. I've lost 45 pounds overall, and can see my abs as a bonus. If it hasn't worked for some, perhaps genetics or methodology are to blame. I am TRULY CONVINCED that the biggest danger to this way of eating is too much satiety. I ALWAYS eat well beyond full. Easy to do, since I only eat one meal a day most days. One awesome, joyful, fat-filled nutrition extravaganza. And some safe starchy carbs, too, or fruit in moderation! They're not the devil.

Huntington's is a unique ailment. I don't know what it would mean metabolically. But I'd blindly think he shouldn't eat if he's not hungry. Instead, wait for hunger to come and then eat as much as he can. But I don't know Huntington's, so filter me.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Would he be able to stomach liquid calories in the morning? I shake with coconut milk, avacado, almond or peanut butter, etc. can be very calorie dense and might not make him sick like solid food.

j3nn is online now Senior Member
    Don't skimp on fruit, full-fat dairy and coconut milk, white rice, tapioca or rice flour bread, potatoes, chocolate, nuts, and all other starches to keep calories up. Add extra butter and cream to all veggies if dairy is tolerated.

Chebe bread mix is a great box mix for tapioca bread/rolls. It's almost all tapioca starch with baking powder and salt.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

“It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men.” - Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast