Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Can't stay strict Primal for more than 2 weeks? page 5

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Hey Theresa, OP, btw we have the same stats except I am mid twenties and now 135. I started at 155 before I started employing principles of primal eating. Still not 100 percent compliant but have gone from about 50 percent to now 85 percent compliant.

I re-read your post and I still think eating a few berries a day will still make you 100 percent compliant, Do not be too hard on yourself. I want to go down to 125 as well. I agree with the suggestions of adding some fat to the fruit as well and also i know this irritates some people but I would also try counting calories for a while. I know most of us short gals cannot get away from not counting even on the primal lifestyle. Good luck!

:
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    hopefully there you won't be mixing up nouns like here.

lmao I will try!

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I don't think there was a challenge to, "fruit is primal." I think the challenge was to, "Primal isn't low carb."

Based on USDA guidelines, PB guidelines are lower in carbs by a substantial percentage.
    Exactly. Never mentioned fruit once. It was your bolder "not low carb" statement. The part I quoted...

Bob-Tao is offline Member
    I'm a newbie, only went relatively grain/legume free 9 days ago. By relatively I mean incidental grains are OK with me, I'm not scraping the breadcrumbs off breaded meat or throwing out the crust on quiche or the skin on a potato knish. But I haven't had any bread, rice, corn, beans, cookies, hummus, oatmeal, etc. I've lost 3-1/2 lbs in 9 days and have no cravings.
    Here's some interesting numbers on carbs (different sites have slightly different numbers but these are the average of what I found): Carbs in a cup of grapes = 30, in a cup of strawberries = 15, in a cup of cherries = 20, in a tablespoon of raw honey = 20.

So I have been eating a cup of cherries or grapes or strawberries with honey once or twice a day, and only consuming an extra 30 to 60 carbs a day while satisfying my sweet tooth. I don't know what my total carb count is (and I don't want to monitor it either) but fruit doesn't seem to be a very big part of the recommended 150 carbs a day.

Andtckrtoo is offline Senior Member
    Sugar is a huge trigger for me, too, but I can eat fruit, even very sweet fruit, without triggering the need to have more. Honey is fine with me as well (in limited quantities), but give me a sugary pastry, a piece of candy, cake, ice cream... and I'm a goner. I simply cannot eat ONE piece and walk away. If fruit does this to you - then by all mean, walk away. Can you maybe have a piece a day (instead of every 2 weeks) without catastrophic consequences?
    Christine
    Wag more, bark less

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't care how primal fruit is. If someone has trouble binging and craving and ruminating and obsessing over fruit they should probably set it aside for a while. Eat more fats and meat. Wipe the slate clean and start over.

As for my success, it all came from eating more fats and meat and wiping the slate clean. There is no "gorge on as much calories as you want from fat and protein in order to lose weight" in Lawyerchick's words. When I eat a piece of pork belly for breakfast, it's about 3 or 4 inches square. Then I ride my bike to work after that (9 miles), I sit in my office, take an exercise class or walk or sprint at lunch, have a small lunch at my desk (can of fish or handful of macadamias), ride my bike home, have a sensible dinner. There is no gorging.

You may be tired of people thinking primal is low carb but I'm sick of people thinking that if you are low carb you are gorging on as many calories as you want from fat and protein. There's no need to do that. Only people who continue to starve themselves of the protein and fat they need feel compelled to gorge themselves to attain satiety.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the middle of a Whole30 (about two weeks in) and just had a nasty binge. I have to agree with the comment that it's social (at least for me). Back in my pre-primal obese days it was almost a weekend ritual to go to the local convenience store and grab a few (yes, a few) grab bags of various chips and take them home and scarf them all while I watched a movie or something.

I was not even remotely hungry when I just did this tonight. It wasn't due to me not getting enough fat or protein (I was right on target for the day before the binge). It was more like a bored Friday night kinda thing.

The important part is to not let it completely derail you but chalk it up to being a human being that occasionally messes up, and get back on track!
    -Chuck

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    I haven't really had much fruit during my 4 or so weeks on primal, except for blueberries. I eat probably 100g or so of blueberries each day (this is apparently between 8 and 14 g of carb... not exactly sure HOW much carb, as different sources give me different stats). Either way 14g is NOTHING, and blueberries are little sweet bundles of joy! (I usually eat them with coconut cream, but a couple of times have had them with ice cream made of cream + a little stevia/erythritol sweetener). I've had strawberries a few times (maybe once a week, too) also with some cream. However, the blueberries really do help a lot! And even though they're soooo yummy, they don't send me into a blueberry eating frenzy!

Apart from that, I satisfy the sweet tooth with the occasional drink sweetened with stevia/erythritol (it ain't completely primal, but according to Mark it's not "un-primal" either). It satisfies me enough that I don't really feel a need for sugar at all.

On just ONE day however, I had sugar (long story...) probably about 10g thereof, and later that day I was starving hungry which was so strange, as most days I don't get really hungry (unless I go ages without eating... not within 1/2 hour of a meal...and not after eating a big lunch, which I'd had that day). I also didn't sleep well. I find that having sugar in something really stuffs me up (I knew it was something I had to break, and I found the easiest way to break was with the natural sweetener I'm using...so I've had no MAJOR sugar cravings, because I've found a way to satisfy the sweet tooth).

I do think that if you're going to binge, at least binge on foods that ARE primal, if you can help it. Fruit, I believe, is a much better choice than something full of grains etc.

Quote Originally Posted by impala454 View Post
    I'm in the middle of a Whole30 (about two weeks in) and just had a nasty binge. I have to agree with the comment that it's social (at least for me). Back in my pre-primal obese days it was almost a weekend ritual to go to the local convenience store and grab a few (yes, a few) grab bags of various chips and take them home and scarf them all while I watched a movie or something.

I was not even remotely hungry when I just did this tonight. It wasn't due to me not getting enough fat or protein (I was right on target for the day before the binge). It was more like a bored Friday night kinda thing.

The important part is to not let it completely derail you but chalk it up to being a human being that occasionally messes up, and get back on track!
    hmmm i get what you mean. I am so used to just relaxing on my saturdays, catching up on my shows with a platter of various junks, now on primal, I do not eat said junks but I will be eat a gluten free cookies, drink my beloved wine etc just cause it is what I have always done. Hard to break this kind of cycle but I am limiting now to once every two weeks instead of once every week.Perhaps I can get to once every three weeks. I think when I get to the weight I want and is just maintaining, I can afford to do it once a week but until then....

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Theresa, I totally understand what you are going through. The best way for me to cope is to just not have any of the foods I deem unacceptable on hand.
    IF, in my case eating just two large meals a day, no snacking and no food after 7pm seems to help as well.

As far as whether Primal is low-carb or not, it really depends on what your goals and personal tolerance are. There was a good reason Mark has created the carbohydrate curve. It could be VLC, low-carb or moderate to high level. Many people do carb cycling also.
    At any rate compared to the CW "hearthealthywholegrains" BS, Primal is low-carb.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast