Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Can't stay strict Primal for more than 2 weeks? page 4

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    It sounds like you are having issues with "forbidden" foods. Other than grains and yucky oils, nothing is forbidden in primal. I have 1/2-1 cup berries every morning with breakfast. It's a nice finish with just a touch of sweetness at the end of my meal. I don't consider this part of my 20%. I have slowly lost 15lbs in under 7 months.

I find that when I make things that I really like forbidden, I can't stop thinking about them. Allowing myself small amounts of what I really like stops the gorging because I know I can a small amount again the next time I want it.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    you can eat all the berries, apples etc you want.

oh, ok, but what you meant was

you can still lose weight from eating fruits even one or two servings a day.

but I am really getting sick of people confusing primal/paleo with low fat.

who the hell is talking about low-fat?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From here: How Much Carbs, Fat And Protein Should You Eat Daily To Lose Weight? | LIVESTRONG.COM

The U.S. Department of Agriculture publishes guidelines to food intake called Dietary Reference Intakes, or DRIs. Based on this set of recommendations, you should get 45 to 65 percent of your day's calories from carbohydrate, 10 to 35 percent from protein and 20 to 35 percent from fats.
    Based on 2000 calories per day, that would be between 900 and 1300 calories of carbs per day, or between 225 and 325 grams of carbs.

From here: How to Succeed with the Primal Blueprint | Mark's Daily Apple

Mark identifiess the range between 100 and 150 grams of carbs as the range to maintain weight.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Reccomended daily intake of carbs is 300g. Mark reccomends for the average person 150g. And less if you wanna really lose fat. Those numbers seem pretty Low when compared to 300g... Don't they?
    I am not sure how the digression of this conversation progressed .......I was talking about the topic of fruit being primal with the op suggesting that eating fruit is somehow "cheating" or "eating bad". So again Is Fruit Primal? Yet it is. End of discussion.

Now on the topic of weight loss v weight gain; Whether all you need to do is keep carbs to under or about 100-150g and gorge on as much calories as you want from fat and protein in order to lose weight or you want to adopt the CICO approach and limit calories to fit your body needs while eating strictly primal foods of which again, fruit IS one of these primal foods, the decision is up to the person. I have stopped counting carbs and just watch my caloric intake while making sure I hit my protein needs of .7 to 1g of lean body mass and my weight has shifted and I am losing again.

Then there is sbhikes who eats lots of yummy fat and protein for the most part and is also getting good results on the weight loss home front.

Again, it is definitely a YMMV situation. I know and believe that some people cannot handle low fibre high GI fruits and even Mark recommends having those sparingly (yes I read the book), but it still does NOT make said fruit non-primal, it just makes consuming lots of said fruit bad for aggressive weight loss. but even if weight loss is your goal and lets say you want to still eat fruits, you do know you can consume one or two servings of fruit and 'eat as much' vegetables as you want AND a serving of potato and still be around 100g net carbs right?

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    oh, ok, but what you meant was

who the hell is talking about low-fat?
    I obviously meant low carb which could have been easily deduced in the context of my "rant" if you read my whole rant as opposed to wanting to start some trite argument. Having all the fruits you want and limiting these said fruits to one or two servings a day DOES make sense. I never said you can or should have all the fruits you want in one sitting or day, but good try in trying to call out stupidity though. smdh

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Craving *sugar* and craving *fruit* are not the same thing. Fruit is in season in the northern hemisphere. It grows on a plant. You eat it in its natural state. It's primal. Refined sugar is none of those things.

Our ancestors would have eaten fruit it when they could find it, probably as much as they could find knowing they'd only be eating it for a few weeks at most, and probably would have preserved some if they knew how (sun drying?)

How do you know your body isn't asking for the nutrients in fruit, and not just the sweetness? If some vitamin-rich fruit satisfies your sweet tooth, doesn't that outweigh some extra carbs? If you're counting carbs, cut them somewhere else. Not that carbs from colorful plant sources should be feared. Eat the fruit.

Also, women are more cyclical than men. We have cravings at certain times of the month because our bodies have different needs at different times. I have a week of starchy-sweet cravings every month. It cannot be denied. My goal is to manage it and feed it wisely. The rest of the month I don't even look sideways at a cinnamon roll.
    All of This as well

and I should add a caveat that says this is all just my opinion, strictly. I should probably start preparing to make submissions and arguments that i am actually paid to do, lol, so this will be my last response/reply on this topic.

Fruit is Primal. *barefoot runs away out of thread*

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there was a challenge to, "fruit is primal." I think the challenge was to, "Primal isn't low carb."

Based on USDA guidelines, PB guidelines are lower in carbs by a substantial percentage.

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Just another quick thought from this old Gwamma....... buy the frozen berries, pop in the freezer, and as a treat put a handful in a cup and enjoy one at a time ! A really nice way to enjoy berries !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    and I should add a caveat that says this is all just my opinion, strictly. I should probably start preparing to make submissions and arguments that i am actually paid to do, lol, so this will be my last response/reply on this topic.

Fruit is Primal. *barefoot runs away out of thread*

hopefully there you won't be mixing up nouns like here.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast