Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't stay strict Primal for more than 2 weeks? page 3

Kingofturtles is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Again, I repeat fruit IS VERY MUCH PRIMAL. PRIMAL IS NOT LOW CARB.
    Yes it is. You need to be low carbs in order for your body to burn fat. Thats basically the entire first part of the book.

Low carb. No grains. Thats what primal is. So many of you need to re-read the book. Eat 800g of carbs and tell me your primal. Mark says a steady supply of carbs is entirely unneccessary and counter productive to our health. He also says that 150g of of carbs a day is all you should have or need unless your a large calorie burner, aka athlete ect..

150g of carbs is pretty low.

And to the OP. if you want to stop eating fruit, then stop eating fruit. Its called willpower.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    Yes it is. You need to be low carbs in order for your body to burn fat. Thats basically the entire first part of the book.

Low carb. No grains. Thats what primal is. So many of you need to re-read the book. Eat 800g of carbs and tell me your primal. Mark says a steady supply of carbs is entirely unneccessary and counter productive to our health. He also says that 150g of of carbs a day is all you should have or need unless your a large calorie burner, aka athlete ect..

150g of carbs is pretty low.

And to the OP. if you want to stop eating fruit, then stop eating fruit. Its called willpower.
    not worth it

not worth it
    winning

cavebabymama is offline Senior Member
    I don't have much advise to OP. I am having the same issues myself, in a major way. Except I never make it 2 weeks. 8 days is a major accomplishment for me. However, like everyone has said, I see no reason not to have some fruit. Like I find a handful of blueberries will really do wonders for me. Not so sweet that it sends me on a bender, but sweet enough to tame the sweet tooth. Also, you mention chocolate, which is a specific "sensible vice". Treat yourself to a square, or two, once or twice a week. I find it better to indulge yourself a little so you don't burn out. I'm also trying to lose weight and limiting carbs and right now I am burned out and craving sugar in a major way. In this instance it's better to have some fruit then some ice cream, ya know?
    Happy Wifey and NEW MOM!
    Pre-preg weight: 130
    Current: 145 (eek!)
    Goal: ??? <-- whatever it takes to get rid of this tire!
    Started Primal in May '12.
    My Blog
    Join the Revolution!

adkatsim is offline Junior Member
    I'm close in age and size to OP, so maybe my experience will be helpful. When I first started eating primally, I binged hardcore on raisins . . . entire pounds at a time multiple times a week. While spiraling from raisins to pizza is certainly not helpful, I know how much I needed that crutch at first. At this point, I very rarely eat dried fruit because I have stopped craving it, but that really took a while! Don't beat yourself up, and just focus on one thing at a time. Eating a lot of fruit is not the end of the world and honestly, trying to rush your body to where you want it to be might not make it very happy.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kingofturtles View Post
    winning
    whatever u say lol

charliemathers is offline Junior Member
    Maybe its time we listen to our bodies and give what its asking for? Enjoy yourself some fruit and dont let people make you feel guilty about it with their dogmatic ways.

<flame shields engaged>
    Last edited by charliemathers; 08-12-2012 at 01:15 PM.
    Ray Peat Forum
    "A place to discuss everything Ray Peat"

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Craving *sugar* and craving *fruit* are not the same thing. Fruit is in season in the northern hemisphere. It grows on a plant. You eat it in its natural state. It's primal. Refined sugar is none of those things.

Our ancestors would have eaten fruit it when they could find it, probably as much as they could find knowing they'd only be eating it for a few weeks at most, and probably would have preserved some if they knew how (sun drying?)

How do you know your body isn't asking for the nutrients in fruit, and not just the sweetness? If some vitamin-rich fruit satisfies your sweet tooth, doesn't that outweigh some extra carbs? If you're counting carbs, cut them somewhere else. Not that carbs from colorful plant sources should be feared. Eat the fruit.

Also, women are more cyclical than men. We have cravings at certain times of the month because our bodies have different needs at different times. I have a week of starchy-sweet cravings every month. It cannot be denied. My goal is to manage it and feed it wisely. The rest of the month I don't even look sideways at a cinnamon roll.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

whatever u say lol
    Reccomended daily intake of carbs is 300g. Mark reccomends for the average person 150g. And less if you wanna really lose fat. Those numbers seem pretty Low when compared to 300g... Don't they?

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Distraction is key for me. Do things that make you happy, socialize with the people that make you happy. You can't binge when you're engaged with other people, and even better, you won't be thinking about it in the first place.

You could also try using fruit as a condiment as part of your regular meal. Then you get an appropriate amount, and a little sweetness, but you won't be left with that sweet taste in your mouth and half a container of delicious poppable fruit in front of you.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast