Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 51

Thread: Can't stay strict Primal for more than 2 weeks? page 2

  1. #11
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    7,386
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    I disagree with the 'losing battle' thinking because my experience has been that the only way to deal with 'cravings' is total abstinence. For example, I have a world-class sweet tooth, but the sweet taste of anything--artificial sweeteners to fruit--is a trigger for me for overeating in general and going for the 'bad stuff.' However, by avoiding anything with a sweet taste, I never experience cravings [for sweets] and can actually sit at a meal where everyone has dessert and not feel the least tempted or deprived. But one taste starts the rollercoaster.

    Mark advises learning our 'triggers' and avoiding them, and that's what I try to do. Am I 100%? No, but I'd say 90-95%, and that works for me.
    The abstinence thing works for me also, except for me, artificial sweeteners don't trigger it.

    Fruit is primal, but it is at the top of the carb pyramid - the carb source you should eat the least of. Still and all, if you could keep it from spiralling to pizza, that would be better. Various sources state that it takes between 21 and 42 days to break or make a habit. Try pushing through that two week barrier.

  2. #12
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,953
    fruit and nuts are both fine to have in moderation with this woe, but dried fruits are super-concentrated sugar. i mostly have berries, plus peaches and nectarines in-season and local. apples and pears are too sweet for me now.

    if certain foods are sending you spiraling down a rabbit hole of excess you need to stop eating them entirely. i can't keep nut butter in the house or i will devour it with a spoon until i am sick. is it primal? sure. but it's like heroin for me.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  3. #13
    Lawyerchick12's Avatar
    Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    So fruit is not primal? I love fruit, i eat it all the time. This primal stuff is really confusing.
    Fruit IS primal! It is really getting irritating reading posts that start with "I am not eating primal because I eat fruit or I have been very bad, I have been eating fruit ...." Again, I repeat fruit IS VERY MUCH PRIMAL. PRIMAL IS NOT LOW CARB. Fruits are as natural and primal as it gets and it is definitely something my ancestors, especially MINE who lived in the tropics and african continent ate much off. AGAIN I REPEAT, FRUIT IS PRIMAL.

    The only reason some people stay away from fruit with a high GI index is because in SOME people it spikes up their insulin response and makes them crave MORE SUGARY things that may not necessarily be primal. But by all means, if fruits do not trigger a bad insulin response, you can eat all the berries, apples etc you want. Again I repeat, FRUIT IS PRIMAL.

  4. #14
    NZ primal Gwamma's Avatar
    NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    NZ
    Posts
    4,182
    I agree with you lawyerchick....fruit is definately primal. However I limit my fruit to 1 piece per day because I am desperately trying to lose another 20kg (6kg down already). Once I have achieved this I will up my fruit and nuts etc...
    When I went through my initial cravings, and a couple since I made sure that first thing in the morning I have prepared food for my binge times. Once a craving took hold I would make myself drink 1 large glass of water and have the prepared primal snack. Usually after this I would be ok for a bit. However if the craving hit again, i would eat another prepared primal snack.
    My snacks tend to be high fat and protein based, which works for me. (eggs mashed with butter and a little salt, or a fatty chop cooked the night before etc...)
    The other thing that I have found, is I must have protein and fat at each meal. This then seems to help with my cravings for the following day. I am now three months in and my cravings are almost non-existent. However I still have prepared snacks - just in case.
    Good luck, and keep us posted on your progress
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

    ...small steps....

  5. #15
    SoccerGrok's Avatar
    SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Tigard, Oregon
    Posts
    1,033
    Quote Originally Posted by hulahoop View Post
    I wonder if you're getting enough fat / protein in your diet as this is the stuff that stops me bingeing.
    This^
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

  6. #16
    Theresa92's Avatar
    Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    133
    Barefoot Gentile: Primal isn't confusing. Lots of meat, veggies, and fat. And if fruit doesn't affect you, then you can eat it. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who sometimes get massive sugar cravings just by taking a bite out of an apple... I also happen to LOVE fruit. Horrible combination

    Msilver: Unfortunately, I think fruit might stall my weight loss. You made a pretty good suggestion with the berries and coconut flakes. Ill definitely try that!

  7. #17
    Theresa92's Avatar
    Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    133
    Lawyerchick12: yes, fruit is definitely primal! however, for weight loss purposes I'm assuming it should be limited? If I am wrong, then correct me.

  8. #18
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,953
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawyerchick12 View Post
    Again, I repeat fruit IS VERY MUCH PRIMAL. PRIMAL IS NOT LOW CARB. Fruits are as natural and primal as it gets and it is definitely something my ancestors, especially MINE who lived in the tropics and african continent ate much off. AGAIN I REPEAT, FRUIT IS PRIMAL.

    <<snip

    But by all means, if fruits do not trigger a bad insulin response, you can eat all the berries, apples etc you want. Again I repeat, FRUIT IS PRIMAL.
    fruits and berries from "back in the day" are about as similar to our modern, super-sweet, cultivated hybrids as a rock is to a raspberry. they were sour and often hard and the trees and vines fruited poorly. year-round access to fruit is a very modern innovation. there are apples and strawberries in my market everyday. is that primal?

    i agree fruit is fine and primal, however eating LOTS of it isn't a great idea.

    after 3 years of not eating grains, i can't even stand how sweet apples and pears taste and i used to love them.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    Ernest Hemingway

  9. #19
    Nady's Avatar
    Nady is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    1,265
    I've never been particularly attracted to fruit~ green (unripe, not Granny Smith) apples, are good, I like a grapefruit or two in Jan./Feb. and peaches from my tree the end of May~ otherwise, the closest I get to fruit is tomato & avocado on my salad and an occasional slice of melon in the summer. I guess I'm mostly 'seasonal' in my fruit choices, and even then, a little and I'm quite satisfied. Maybe it's a genetic/tastebud thing?

  10. #20
    Lawyerchick12's Avatar
    Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    360
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    fruits and berries from "back in the day" are about as similar to our modern, super-sweet, cultivated hybrids as a rock is to a raspberry. they were sour and often hard and the trees and vines fruited poorly. year-round access to fruit is a very modern innovation. there are apples and strawberries in my market everyday. is that primal?

    i agree fruit is fine and primal, however eating LOTS of it isn't a great idea.

    after 3 years of not eating grains, i can't even stand how sweet apples and pears taste and i used to love them.
    And the animals and fish that were running in the wild thousands of years ago are different from most of the same animals we eat today so what is your point?

    and with all due respect where is your reference points for comparison? within a north american context, then yes, the fruits our ancestors ate has obviously evolved naturally AND mechanically. Within more rural societies this evolution is much more natural than mechanical, please, my parents, grandparents are part africans, and the farming in most west african rural societies are still not as developed and THAT is a good thing. So in that context I obviously will not unequivocally compare the berries to rocks. But lets bring it back to the north american context, I will not go that far with the comparison and it is still far more primal than eating toxic wheat and most grainy carbs anyway in the sense that they are still unprocessed.

    What I am saying is, devoid of any personal physiological and/or biological reasons for not eating fruit, fruit is as primal as we can get. From a weight loss perspective, as long are you are not overdoing it on the fat and protein, you can still lose weight from eating fruits even one or two servings a day. YMMV obviously but I am healthier and more in control of my weight since I added some servings of fruits. *shrugs*

    I am not trying to be rude but I am really getting sick of people confusing primal/paleo with low fat. Sure, for some people who are not as active, it might behoove them to eat really low carbs so as to speed weight loss process, if that is what they are after, no one is arguing with that, but that does NOT make fruits or sweet potatoes any less primal that a slab of fatty meat. *rant over*
    Last edited by Lawyerchick12; 08-12-2012 at 12:42 PM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •