Thread: Colon Cancer and the Primal Lifestyle page

FreeOne is offline Junior Member

Colon Cancer and the Primal Lifestyle

Shop Now
    Hello. I just joined these forums, as I plan on going primal here once I get back to school in two weeks.

One of my main motivations for trying the primal lifestyle is the fact that my mother died from colon cancer at the age of 33. That is very young to die of cancer, and studies have shown that children of adults who die of this type of colon cancer have a 50% chance of developing this same type of cancer. It is extremely fatal.

That said, my odds of living to an old age are very much lower than those of most other people. I plan on getting colonoscopies every year beginning next year, and am going to do what I can (without letting it consume my life) to avoid letting this cancer get me.

Part of that involves a diet that is something different than what my mom had (the "average" diet based on conventional wisdom, though she was healthier than most). I've read so many contradictory things, though, that I have all but concluded I'm never going to find the objectively best diet to avoid this type of cancer. Research is just not yet advanced enough.

That said, there is no harm in picking a diet/lifestyle and sticking to it religiously in the hopes that it improve my odds. And from what I have read in The Primal Blueprint, it seems that the primal lifestyle might be a good choice. Sticking to organic vegetables, grass-fed beef, healthy fish, avoiding poisonous chemicals, etc., can't hurt. And even if it doesn't help in the end, I'd rather make an effort than just do nothing and hope that the cancer doesn't come.

But I thought I'd ask anyways...is there any evidence that primal living reduces cancer risk? Does anyone have any reasons why they think it might reduce the risk of colon cancer?

And do you guys think my plan is a good idea? I am currently in college and have a great cafeteria with lots of organics and fresh foods.

GeoMike is offline Junior Member
    This way of eating seems to reduce serum insulin levels. Insulin appears to be strongly correlated with most cancers. Please see the following: Insulin and cancer (Review). - Abstract - UK PubMed Central
    There are many other great review articles out there. Hope this helps!