Thread: Hello http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.png page

Caathy is offline Junior Member

Smile Hello http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/images/icons/icon7.png

I am 52 years old and I am from Michigan.
    I have been looking over being Primal for awhile now at my daughters suggestion. Tried it once and find it VERY difficult to change the diet I have had my whole life - pasta, pasta, pasta, potatoes and lots of quick foods and vegetables, what are those???LOL I really believe Primal sounds the best way for me to go for health issues but can't seem to get over the initial hump.
    I do not have dairy everyday. Never been a milk drinker.
    Do not drink coffee or tea, I have heard green tea is good for you but I seem to forget anything that is a change to my norm.
    I think Primal is for me because last year I had a fungus attack my spine and paralyzed me from the waist down. I have learned to walk again but it has become difficult for me to do all the things I would normally do (which is going to make Primal exercise difficult). Even though I have probably 100 pounds to lose I was very active and strong, I would walk 4 miles a day now I am happy that I can actually stand to wash my dishes! My daughter says she believes I have systemic yeast infection.
    I use to love to walk and ride my bike. I have recently found I can ride my bike again!
    I am hoping to clear my cupboards and start Primal this coming week. My husband is not happy with that because I have to get rid of all the breads and things he likes because if they are in the house they will be eatin', LOL

Favorite Primal food:

Best part about being Primal: We will see, hoping to find encouragement. If anyone is interested in keeping me on task, have at it. Need to learn to be accountable to myself but help to get there would be great!!!

Worst part about being Primal:Trying to get over the cravings for the pasta, sweets etc. I know it gets easier but the first is the worst!!

I must say that I feel like at 52 it is to late for me but I also know that I cannot stay where I am at and I am hoping eating a healthy, muscle building, fat burning diet will help my now weak body to heal and get stronger.

Wrenwood is offline Senior Member
    Hi Caathy, welcome. I'm a relative newbie too, I've been primal for about 3 months and have had very good results. I went cold turkey off of grains and sugar and it was much easier that I thought it would be. (I still have a little dairy, mostly cream in my coffee and occasional whole milk yogurt.) My secret weapon is lots of good quality fat - coconut oil, avocados, eggs. I do count calories and carb grams.

Especially given the health challenges you've had, I would encourage you to not focus on weight loss but on getting the best quality nutrition you can so your body can carry on with the healing process. I am 55 and I can tell you that there's no time like the present to start making the rest of your life better.

You are welcome to check out my journal if you want more info on what's worked for me so far. Good luck to you!
    My Primal Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57034.html

"...since our orthodox theories have not saved us we may have to readjust them to bring them into harmony with Nature's laws. Nature must be obeyed, not orthodoxy." Weston A. Price

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! And can I suggest taking primal one step, one food, one meal at a time. You can ease into it gradually. And it sounds like you have a lot of motivation for change!

First ditch the seed oils (canola, corn, soybean, etc) and replace them with butter, lard, bacon drippings, coconut oil. This is so simple! No change to your menus, and they all taste better too

I wouldn't suggest counting calories or carbs or anything at first...just get used to the new foods. They're really not that new. Our ancestors have been eating them forever. I think pasta was the easiest "dinner" thing for me to eliminate. Most stuff you serve on pasta can be eaten without it, over rice, (yes, some of us eat white rice now and then) with more meat and veggies, etc. When my family has spaghetti, I just have a bowl of meat sauce & veggies. Its like eating beanless chili. Leftover meat with a salad and avocado is probably my favorite primal meal. I could eat it 3x a day.

Breakfast was an easy transition for me too. I either skip it altogether, or eat some kind of eggs, lunch food, or dinner leftovers. I never thought I could let go of my morning cereal, and now I'm not even tempted.
    Sandra
    *My obligatory intro

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo

DAINTY CAN KISS MY PRIMAL BACKSIDE. ~~ Crabcakes

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    I'll be 70 in February. Primal has given me dramatically positive results. It's never too late!
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

artyscat is offline Senior Member
    Hi Caathy welcome ! I wanted to post on your thread when I read that you are also 52 and feel,like maybe it's too late ...I'm 52 as well and have battled with weight problems since I was 8 years of age , I have only been primal for just over 1 month and already feel better and much less bloated, my energy levels are good and my mood is generally more optimistic which is a surprise ! I think eating fat makes me happy literally ! If that doesn't sound too weird . I did go cold turkey and had carb flu for about 2/3 days feeling bit nauseous and running to loo but determined to stick it out so did manage it ok ...I love to bake so that probably was the sourdough exiting stage left ! Anyhow it sounds like you have come a long way already from a scary illness and what a lovely supportive daughter you have there...I am sure that you will find many benefits from going primal the food really is filling satisfying and delicious which really helps getting over the change however you decide to go , it's not too late at all ! 50 s the new 30 didn't you know ....you have already begun !

Caathy is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone. Started a journal today to try to remember what I am doing. I tend to continue with my norm a little too easily. This is day 2 no grains etc. Have to focus on what I am trying to accomplish not on the long hard road I will be traveling to get there. But it's all adventure from here!

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome! This forum is awesome with lots of nice people and good advice! I have been eating this way for awhile and have lost weight and feel great. You can too.