Thread: I'm underweight, am I ok eating potatoes? page

GeneralOJB is offline Junior Member

I'm underweight, am I ok eating potatoes?

Shop Now
    I know potatoes are in the grey area, as they're high carb, but they're still vegetetables. My BMI is about 16-17, do I need to worry about potatoes? I usually saute them in olive oil with rosemary, garlic and butter.

And I eat other vegetables of course.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GeneralOJB View Post
    I know potatoes are in the grey area, as they're high carb, but they're still vegetetables. My BMI is about 16-17, do I need to worry about potatoes? I usually saute them in olive oil with rosemary, garlic and butter.

And I eat other vegetables of course.
    I think you should worry more about your weight and start eating more than to worry about the potatoes.

GeneralOJB is offline Junior Member
    Yes, I'm working on that, I want to make sure what I am eating is healthy though.

Darz is offline Senior Member
    Yeah potatoes are healthy, filled with micronutrients - just eat whole foods.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Make sure your digestive system can handle the potato.. It is a good carb to add calories & mass for weight gain, but I personally (recovering "leaky gut" victim & GAPS advocoate) use higher fat to add calories, calm my metabolism, heal digestive tract & gain healthy weight slowly.. Potatoes irriate my gut making me gassy, bloated & inflamed.. Artificial weight gain, & genuine gut resentment
    Last edited by abc123; 08-11-2012 at 07:42 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    like abc there, my husband is doing GAPS modified and has no problem with potatoes unless he has "too many" but "just enough" is ok.

but i recommend to you the wonder that is bone broth. Drink it, steam veg with it, use it in soups. Bone broth.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Nope avoid them, the first bite will kill you, then raise your insulin resistance, cause you to bloat and add 20 lbs overnight.
    If you are concerned with weight loss there are better choices, but no they won't kill you. Cordain recommends avoiding the skins but hey....
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Paleobird Guest
    Eat lots of them. With butter on top. Lots of butter.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Blah blah blah your BMI gives us not one iota of an idea as to your current metabolic health. Post your current hip to weight ratio and age with how much you bench, squat, DL, or how fast your run a 5K and you may get some good answers. Till then....I say you can't go wrong with the PB diet plan in conjunction with PB fitness. .....you see diet feeds on lifestyle and vice versa...good luck!