Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Testing for Glucose, Sucrose, Fructose page 3

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    There is nothing wrong with testing to make sure you get what you are paying for? No, I don't see it as insane.
    Why don't you just set up a hidden camera in the kitchen? While you are at it, why not put a keylogger on her computer too? Maybe you could hire a PI to dig through her garbage looking for grocery receipts.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    I don't think that's insane
    Still living at home, I got tired of asking my mother about ingredients after saying I cut sugar and veg oil
    That quickly led into me starting to cook all my dinners
    I became a goddamn good cook

The guy has a right to know what he's putting into his mouth, when his chef is maybe unaware of hidden ingredient
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post
    I don't think that's insane
    Still living at home, I got tired of asking my mother about ingredients after saying I cut sugar and veg oil
    That quickly led into me starting to cook all my dinners
    I became a goddamn good cook

The guy has a right to know what he's putting into his mouth, when his chef is maybe unaware of hidden ingredient
    What kind of professional chef is unaware of hidden ingredients? Yes, I think he should know what he's eating~ after all, he's paying to have it prepared a specific way! But I also think the best way to have it *your way* is to do it yourself.
    Last edited by Nady; 08-13-2012 at 09:12 AM.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Gilleh View Post

if the chef is using convenience foods or shortcuts, or unaware of ingredients, they are incompetent and not worth a penny.

personal chefs, especially those that cater to special diets, are spendy. they need to be hyper-vigilant about what they are using and cooking. or they can kiss their career goodbye.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

westes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    [FONT=Book Antiqua][SIZE=3]am i correct to assume you've had a detailed conversation about what you will and won't eat? if so, it would behoove this person to cut corners and lie. seriously. isn't this his/her career? if you were a diabetic client, adding sugar to the sauce could kill you, ya know?
    Your assumption is that lying is the only reason they would tell me a false fact. But that's not a valid argument. The person might simply not understand how all the ingredients metabolize. Someone might assume an ingredient is "fresh" but in fact the store or manufacturer loaded up the product with sugar without proper disclosure. I gave a clear example of that with deli roasted turkey.

instead of subterfuge, ask more precise questions about what he/she is using to impart sweetness. carrots and red peppers can add sweetness to sauce without there being added sugar. so can caramelized onions. or perhaps they are using fruit juice and not thinking that the juice has added sugar before it goes in the dish? open communication will foster a more integrated relationship than will you automatically assuming sabotage.
    I agree open communication is key. But nothing I ever said here would suggest I had done anything other than open communication.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Why don't you just set up a hidden camera in the kitchen? While you are at it, why not put a keylogger on her computer too? Maybe you could hire a PI to dig through her garbage looking for grocery receipts.
    I don't set up a hidden camera because a hidden camera wouldn't measure sugar levels in the raw ingredients.

Further, your assumption is that I am sneaking behind her back and trying to prove something against her. All of that is false. I have been very forthright with her and she with me. Nothing is being hidden.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Are you Mitt Romney, by any chance?
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    I don't set up a hidden camera because a hidden camera wouldn't measure sugar levels in the raw ingredients.
    Further, your assumption is that I am sneaking behind her back and trying to prove something against her. All of that is false. I have been very forthright with her and she with me. Nothing is being hidden.
    Raw as in fresh, not canned or other type of a 'convenience' preparation? Because if it's 'raw' then the sugar would be a natural part of the food and not an additive. If it tastes sweet to you, maybe it just because your taste buds are more sensitive.

GeorgiaPeach is offline Senior Member
    Well, I don't think it is insane either. But people think I'm insane for being thorough too. That being said, I wonder if it the cooking process that makes them taste sweeter. I've dehydrated bananas and plantains before, and they were too sweet for me to eat. All the moisture was drawn out leaving a concentrated product. Stewing, boiling out excess water, etc could make them more concentrated. Another option is at she might not be using what she considers sugar... Lots of people say oh this is healthy because I used honey or agave nectar, etc but at the end of the day, sugar is sugar.
    Don't let anybody tell you, "You can't" just because they can't.

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaPeach View Post
    Well, I don't think it is insane either. But people think I'm insane for being thorough too. That being said, I wonder if it the cooking process that makes them taste sweeter. I've dehydrated bananas and plantains before, and they were too sweet for me to eat. All the moisture was drawn out leaving a concentrated product. Stewing, boiling out excess water, etc could make them more concentrated. Another option is at she might not be using what she considers sugar... Lots of people say oh this is healthy because I used honey or agave nectar, etc but at the end of the day, sugar is sugar.
    GeorgiaPeach, exactly right, and thanks for the defense.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123