Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Testing for Glucose, Sucrose, Fructose page 2

JennGlob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by westes View Post
    I have someone who is cooking for me using Paleo guidelines. Many of her sauces have a very sweet taste that make me believe some kind of liquid-form sugar is present in high quantities. Is there any over the counter test I can purchase that I could measure the actual quantity per volume of various types of sugars?
    If you are willing to question someone's integrity over sugar content, maybe you should do your own cooking.
    Primal since 4/7/2012

Starting weight 140
    Current weigh 126

www.jenniferglobensky.blogspot.com

Jennifer

westes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    she says "no", but you think she is lying? are you snooping through her email and phone too?

after eating this way for awhile, you're much more sensitive to the natural sweetness of foods.
    You have to understand a lot about nutrition to understand what foods metabolize to glucose rapidly. I think she doesn't understand enough to trust her answer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    even greater if "she" is his momma, not his girlfriend!
    "She" is a professional cook. Not related to me. Not my girlfriend.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    You need an adult helper, apparently.
    I'd settle for a human being who is helpful.
    The adult helper is listed under Materials and Equipment on the link provided. That's what jojohaligo was referring to.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    She's a professional cook, she says she's not using sugar, yet you think her sauces taste too sweet, so rather than trust her or ask her to cook less sweet-tasting sauces or fire her because you don't like her cooking you want to run chemical tests on the food? Why don't you just put a hidden camera in the kitchen?

You can see that this is insane, right?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    She's a professional cook, she says she's not using sugar, yet you think her sauces taste too sweet, so rather than trust her or ask her to cook less sweet-tasting sauces or fire her because you don't like her cooking you want to run chemical tests on the food? Why don't you just put a hidden camera in the kitchen?

You can see that this is insane, right?
    Any person who is intolerant to wheat has had the experience of going into a restaurant and telling the server about the problem, and asking if this item or that contains wheat. "Let me go check with the chef," the server says. She comes back "No, that Salmon has no wheat."

Later, the salmon is served and has bread crumbs all over the surface. You point this out to the server and they say "Oh, sorry, it does have bread crumbs."

Is the server or chef incompetent because they didn't answer the question correctly? Maybe not. Maybe they just don't have the appropriate experience to answer that question. Are they lying? Probably not. It took me three years to get wheat out of my diet. Why would I expect someone who is new to the idea to be able to sort out what has wheat and what doesn't have it expertly?

Why is it any different with a chef who cooks Paleo, but has no experience cooking Paleo. They might add a sauce or some other ingredient that has a grain or high fructose corn syrup, and maybe they just missed that on the label. I'm hiring the person because they know how to cook. I'm not hiring them for their ability to understand and articulate Paleo concepts.

There is nothing wrong with testing to make sure you get what you are paying for? No, I don't see it as insane.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    No, that's pretty insane. This is a pretty straightforward way of eating. If you don't add sugar, you are adding what? HFCS from a bottle? Fruit juice? Seriously man. Paleo is meat, fats, vegetables, fruit.
    You could try:
    "I'd like these sauces to taste less sweet, if possible - what is it in here that's making it taste sweet?"
    "What are the ingredients in this sauce?"
    If your personal cook can't answer, then they are incompetent end of story.
    If I worked as a cook for someone who ran chemical analyses on my dishes I would be outta there so fast.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    No, that's pretty insane. This is a pretty straightforward way of eating. If you don't add sugar, you are adding what? HFCS from a bottle? Fruit juice? Seriously man. Paleo is meat, fats, vegetables, fruit.
    High Fructose corn syrup gets added to virtually everything. It could be in a tomato sauce. I was shocked to find out that they add sugar into roasted turkey in the deli, and when you ask for slices of fresh turkey it has plenty of sugar in it.

You could try:
    "I'd like these sauces to taste less sweet, if possible - what is it in here that's making it taste sweet?"
    Why is your method better than mine? Your question is fuzzy, inarticulate, and imprecise. My method is identify which specific foods have a sugar issue and then dig down into ingredients for only those foods. I want to identify precisely, quantify precisely, and then spend time talking about the right things.

"What are the ingredients in this sauce?"
    If your personal cook can't answer, then they are incompetent end of story.
    Of course I am doing that too.

If I worked as a cook for someone who ran chemical analyses on my dishes I would be outta there so fast.
    Given how sarcastic and unhelpful you are, who would want to hire you?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    am i correct to assume you've had a detailed conversation about what you will and won't eat? if so, it would behoove this person to cut corners and lie. seriously. isn't this his/her career? if you were a diabetic client, adding sugar to the sauce could kill you, ya know?

instead of subterfuge, ask more precise questions about what he/she is using to impart sweetness. carrots and red peppers can add sweetness to sauce without there being added sugar. so can caramelized onions. or perhaps they are using fruit juice and not thinking that the juice has added sugar before it goes in the dish? open communication will foster a more integrated relationship than will you automatically assuming sabotage.

oh, if you're hiring out a personal chef and they are using jarred tomato sauce with hfcs, they should be fired.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    The adult helper is listed under Materials and Equipment on the link provided. That's what jojohaligo was referring to.
    Thanks mike_h, that's exactly what I was referring to. I thought it was pretty funny actually since it's a science experiment for kids.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast