Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Newbie Grokkster needs advice :)

Threaded View

Newbie Grokkster needs advice :)

Hi, everyone
    I have been strictly Paleo for about 3 weeks now. (no dairy, no grains, some nightshades). I lost about 7lb my first week and then it slowed down to barely 1 - 1.5 lb for the next 2 weeks. I also keep going through these ups and downs in my general well being. I feel energized for a few days then sluggish and achy all over for a few days. My diet is pretty much the same on those days, so I can't figure out what this is. I always thought the "low carb flu" only affects people who are eating less than 50 g of carbs per day and I'm usually between 50-70. Plus I thought once you have the "flu" once, then you're good to go. And I keep bouncing in and out of it.
    Another thing is that my sleep is still not great. I can't help but nap when I'm in a sluggish day and then my circadian rhythms are all messed up. I tried very low carb in the past and couldn't sleep for weeks, so I'm keeping my carbs a bit higher to avoid it and it still seems to cause problems.
    I do record my food, I know some people here are against it, but I'm a bit of a nerd, so I like having data to analyze. I have my "reports" in pdf format if anyone wants to give it a look-see.
    The one good thing is that I'm definitely not feeling hungry. Sometimes I have to make myself go eat, because I don't want to go too long without food, but I'm not really feeling hungry yet. My meals are usually 4-6 hours apart, sometimes longer, but that's more typical.
    So my questions are:
    1) Why did my weight loss slow down so significantly so quickly?
    2) Why am I going in and out of "flu" and why am I even having the "flu" if I'm not really that low in carbs?
    3) I'll take any advice on sleep - it's driving me crazy :/
    4) I'm hoping people can share how long it was for them until they felt great all the time
    Last edited by NinaV; 08-11-2012 at 02:43 PM.