Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: -Hormonally Imbalanced Mom of Twins - P.S. HORRIBLE Rambler!! page

EBRoar is offline Junior Member

-Hormonally Imbalanced Mom of Twins - P.S. HORRIBLE Rambler!!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    This is my first day as a Forum member (lurker for almost 3 weeks, started Primal 2 weeks ago). I came across PB while searching for ideas to reduce hormone induced binges (that's the best way I can describe it). Background-I have a larger frame but very strong and athletic in my younger years. I was a depressed little girl around 14 years old after my parents divorced. I was placed on a plethora of antidepressants and anti-anxiety drugs that added 50 lbs to my frame in no time. I went from a size 6/8 to size 14/16 in a matter of months. Therapy helped me through my depression/anxiety but the weight never went away. It took 6 years for me to finally lose the majority of that weight and it was following Atkins religiously. I started to "cheat" on the weekends after losing the weight and eventually the weekends continued on into the weekends and wouldn't you know it?? The weight came back on. I tried many other diets and changes but could never get below 185 on the scale/size 12 in clothes.

I married my sweet husband and within 6 months we were pregnant with twin boys. I delivered the boys full term in late 2010 and that is when my true battle of the hormones began. My skin, hair and nails started changing. My energy changed. I wanted to stay in bed and cry some days while other days I am on top of the world (not bipolar--think PMS to the 100th power). I started getting random dark spots all over my face and on my upper lip. I would eat great (low calorie/fat, whole grains, chronic cardio) for around 2 weeks out of the month and the other two weeks was a roller coaster of binges, some purges and regret and guilt. I knew the signs of depression and this wasn't the same. It was 6 months ago that I really started connecting the dots that my hormones may have something to do with all of this. It was confirmed by my Doctor that I am imbalanced, he gave me Rx for estrogen and I thought all would be well with the world...it wasn't. Things didn't get better and some issues grew even more extreme. I talked to my Doctor some more who said there isn't much more he could do. More researching began and I came across this website.

My recent lifestyle involved 30-90 min of exercise/6 days a week, 1400-1800 calorie diet unless binge occurred. I felt very hopeful reading MDA success stories and some women voiced similar issues to what I am going through. I purchased the 21 day makeover and started the change on July 29th (2 weeks ago tomorrow). I have lost about 3 lbs so far. I am trying to get out of the Chronic Cardio mindframe but it is so hard. I love that "high" feeling of accomplishment after running or Spin classes. I'm not sure what I am doing right or wrong diet-wise but feel that I should start a Journal. It will keep me honest and anyone who is interested in giving feedback and suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Yesterday was a rough day. I weighed myself and had only lost 1 lb since the week before and felt bloated all morning and afternoon. I kept telling myself that nothing is working and of course, I needed to go to the store for more items. I gave in to what had been in the back of my head all day after weighing myself and binged on pizza and cookies. I was immediately disgusted with myself but tried to remind myself I did not "fail" this diet. I got up this morning, found some things to eat PB-worthy (funny how I couldn't find them yesterday) and did WOD, then the boys and I went to the weekend Farmer's Market and bought lots of goodies to feast on this week. I really want to succeed at this. Weight loss and fat loss are important to me but the most important thing for me is to feel better. I feel like eating more PB balanced will help me feel more balanced in other areas. At least, it's worth a shot, right? Ok-thanks for letting me ramble!!
    -------

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! I would highly suggest ignoring the scale for a while if it causes you trouble. Pay attention to how your clothes fit and/or take measurements. That will show you your progress much better.

If you enjoy the high from a hard workout, try PBF and sprinting. I get the same post-exercise high from those as when I used to do long exercise classes. But I'm done in 20-30 minutes and often sore the next day. That will leave you with extra time for your twins! If you enjoy the alone time, then go for a long walk with some great music. Your body will get more out of short training and long walks.

Good luck!

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Another mother of twins here. My girls are 22. I have a few questions:
    1. What does hormonal imbalance mean? Do you have lab test results?
    2. You say you were given an Rx for estrogen. Does that mean BC pills, estradiol,, premarin, or compounded cream/pill?
    3. If you were given estradiol, cream or premarin were you also given progesterone in the form of prometrium, progesterone cream,??? If not, why not?
    4. Have you had your thyroid checked- TSH, free T4, free T3, antibodies?
    5. Have you been tested for anemia-- hematocrit, hemoglobin, ferritin?

The PB way of eating and living is fantastic for overall well being. However, my experience has taught me that imbalances need to be addressed, optimized, and the body needs time to heal before lasting weight loss can be achieved.

I focused on getting and staying healthy first. I made healthy choices on a daily basis and did not let the scale dictate my path.. A perk of my choices was a 50 lb down turn on the scale. I have maintained my health, with a few hormonal struggles/set backs, for 3+ years.

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Welcome! I can so relate to the bingeing cycles though I was never diagnosed with any imbalances (I am sure I had some nonetheless!) I have found that eating strictly primal has helped me so much, while I do have times where I want to snack, and do, it is on things that don't leave me feeling bloated or spacey etc. I recommend getting rid of all non primal foods in your home or you will be tempted to partake when the urge strikes! It helps so much to plan ahead for healthy, satisfying snacks so that if and when the urge strikes you have already got something to go to. HOpefully over time you can get past the need for snacks. But, I find that there are times that I want one. Think high protein high fat for your snacks. A boiled egg, a can of sardines, macadamia nuts, some 85% dark chocolate (Green and Black's is a good brand), some paleo cookies (grain free and low sugar). Our whole family went primal a few months ago and even the kids are on board and love the paleo cookies and cakes that I make from time to time. There are tons of recipes and ideas on this forum! I find it very helpful to post what I eat and when as it helps me see what I am doing more clearly. And sometimes someone else will have a helpful idea or see something that we are doing that is not helpful. Anyway, all that to say, hang in there and decide that whatever else you do you will not eat grains or sugar at all for at least 3 weeks. You will notice a huge difference in how you feel and that will be amazing motivation to keep going.
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Thanks for your advice, teach! I'll have to start reading more into the PBF to help adjust.

Marca-imbalance means that my hormones are not of normal levels. Lab tests confirmed this. Estradiol was prescribed and he suggested I purchase a progesterone cream. I use Arbonne's Prolief. I come from a long line of women on my maternal side that have thyroid disorders (Graves disease, hypothyroid, hyperthyroid-all of them) yet I had mine tested last week and my TSH was in the middle of the range-mine was 8.0 and range was 4.0-12.0. I am meeting with my OB-Gyn in 6 weeks to do additional testing (I just recently had my IUD removed and this may have something to do with my abnormal hormone levels) but in the meantime, I can't keep going on the cycle I am on and decided to start this journey. I am glad to hear you've maintained your health (and lost 50 lbs-you go, girl!) for over 3 years...gives me much hope!

Thanks, Coll, for your kind words! Great to hear your whole family is on board. I'll need to look over the forum for more kid-friendly recipes. Wishing you continued success-awesome job on 30+lbs loss

Day 1 back to Primal

Breakfast-3 slices bacon & a Smoothie (3 eggs, 1/2c coconut milk, 1/2 c cucumber slices, 1/2 avocado, 3 strawberries) Yea-am not making again, not my fave combo.

Lunch - 10oz Chicken and 1 c yellow squash slices, all cooked in butter

Dinner - 10 oz Chicken and 1/2 c bell pepper and shallots, all cooked in butter

Snack - 1 cup Fresh Blackberries and 2 tbsp fresh goat cheese

Total carbs: 50 grams
    Total Protein: 153 grams

Exercise - 25 pull-ups/one legged, 400m sprint, 18 army pushups/12 knee pushups, 400m sprint, 55 squats, 400m sprint, 90 sec forearm plank, 400m sprint. After this I did a light jog for 20 minutes.
    Last edited by EBRoar; 08-11-2012 at 06:30 PM.

marcadav is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EBRoar View Post
    Thanks for your advice, teach! I'll have to start reading more into the PBF to help adjust.

Marca-imbalance means that my hormones are not of normal levels. Lab tests confirmed this. Estradiol was prescribed and he suggested I purchase a progesterone cream. I use Arbonne's Prolief. I come from a long line of women on my maternal side that have thyroid disorders (Graves disease, hypothyroid, hyperthyroid-all of them) yet I had mine tested last week and my TSH was in the middle of the range-mine was 8.0 and range was 4.0-12.0. I am meeting with my OB-Gyn in 6 weeks to do additional testing (I just recently had my IUD removed and this may have something to do with my abnormal hormone levels) but in the meantime, I can't keep going on the cycle I am on and decided to start this journey. I am glad to hear you've maintained your health (and lost 50 lbs-you go, girl!) for over 3 years...gives me much hope!
    Your lab range for TSH seems to be WAY off. I was diagnosed with hypothyroid with a TSH of 7.71 ( .35-5.5). And that was 12 years ago. Since that time the American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists has recommended a narrower margin based on a target TSH level of 0.3 to 3.0.

If I were you, I would ask for the following tests:
    1. thyroid-- TSH, free T4, free T3, antibodies
    2. Anemia-- hematocrit, hemoglobin, ferritin
    3. Estradiol , progesterone , testosterone
    4. Fasting glucose, possibly fasting insulin
    5. complete lipid panel- LDL, direct HDL, triglycerides

Make sure to request a copy of all lab test results you have done. By law, in the USA, they have to give a copy but can charge a "copy fee" I have never been charged that fee.

I hope this helps.

Day 2 back on track

Thanks, Marca. I will request these to see WTH is going on. I did have #4 and 5 on your list completed and I had great numbers. 1, 2, 3, will need to have completed and hopefully they will shed some light.

------
    Breakfast: Smoothie (3 eggs, 1/2c coconut milk, 1 tbsp almond butter, 1/2 c blueberries, 1/2c cucumber)

Lunch: BAS (tuna, bacon, greek yogurt, goat cheese, spring mix, cucumbers, bell pepper)

Dinner: Steak, mushrooms cooked in butter and baked eggs in tomato (absolutely delish!! New recipe and will repeat)

Snack: 1 c blackberries cooked in butter

Exercise: 1 hour morning jog

Total Protein: 198
    Carbs: 57

Coll is online now Senior Member
    Your food sounds nice and yummy - though I am not much of a smoothie person. I like the sound of the baked eggs in tomato - can you tell us more? And blackberries cooked in butter is something I have never thought of doing! I like them doused in heavy whipping cream
    Start weight: 225.5 lbs Feb 13 2012. Height: 5'7"
    Primal low: 186 lbs
    Current weight: 227 lbs
    S.T. goals: try thyroid supplementation.
    Goal weight: 135 lbs

"I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I - I took the one less travelled by, and that has made all the difference." Robert Frost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast