Thread: I don't know how much to eat! page

jennf is offline Senior Member

Would love any insights as I embark on my "official" 6 week primal challenge (yeah, I'm giving myself an extra couple weeks).

I have been dieting since I can remember. I have lost weight eating 1200-1600 cal/day, and gained weight at the same caloric range.

Last year, while I was doing P90X, I held a stable (although heavier than I would like) weight at 1800 calories/day. It was suggested that I eat more, so I bumped up to 2300 cal/day and still held stable (without gaining a whole lot of muscle - I didn't lose any inches either).

Now that I'm following PB, I can't for the life of me figure out how much to eat. I've been following PB for about 5 weeks so far. I'm averaging about 1500 cal/day with my ratios at 60%-65%/20%-25%/10%-15% fat/protein/carbs. Carbs are almost never above 50g and I don't eat fruit or dairy. I lost 4 lbs. right away, and haven't lost anything since (although I'm definitely gaining muscle). I still have plenty of fat to lose.

I've calculated my BMR to be between 1625 and 1865.

Any input on how many calories I should be shooting for? Thanks!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

your doing fine... eat when your hungry and stop when you full. and stop obsessing. youve lost weight and gained muscle.. keep it up

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member

Second what Mal said. Don't worry about how much you are eating so much as learning to listen to your bodies signals for hunger and satiation.

My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

tooround is offline Senior Member

I struggled with this too. I was so used to eating small frequent meals a la body for life etc ...

After a few weeks nibbling has turned into two good hearty meals and a snacky breakfast.

I think that the last time I ran a days menu through fitday.com it came to about 1800 cals. Which is considerably higher than my BMR at 5'3 129 lbs.

I'm losing 1 or 2 lbs a week without having come up with a decent exercise routine yet.

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Some days I have a caloric intake of 1300 some days it's 2300. That's eating about two meals (and maybe a snack) a day. I don't worry about cals (or even carbs) that much. I just eat when I'm hungry and stop when I'm full.

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

I had trouble with this at first as well, there really isn't anything telling people 'how much.' To echo what others have said, 'how much' is based on the individual. It took me a good month to break myself of my food habit and feeding schedule.

Feeding schedule: To break yourself of this, you have to examine how you feel at the time. Are you really hungry? Really? If you don't eat your lunch RIGHT NOW when you're supposed to, how long do you think you could go before you do eat? What does the rest of your day look like? Will you get another chance to eat in a couple hours or are you booked solid for the next 12? Eventually, you'll learn your body's signals for hunger and break away from the time program we are all so used to. It is not uncommon for me to have lunch at work, skip dinner, skip breakfast, eat lunch at work again, have a HUGE dinner, then skip again all the way til dinner. And by dinner, I don't mean "sit down at 6," I may assault the fridge when I walk in the door at 4:30 or get the feeling at 9:00 and go to town then. I know some people are weird about eating before bed, but it has never caused me a problem and if my body is hungry AND tired, then it gets food and sleep.

Food Habit: I had a TERRIBLE time with "eating because ____" If it was a social situation and there was food, obviously I was supposed to eat... and I did... at great length. If you find yourself wanting to eat for any other reason than that you are actually hungry, you have to work on identifying what it is that made you want the food... and fix it. I would always think I was hungry when I was just bored, so to fix that, I either found something to go do or get a glass of water. If I still felt hungry within about 15 minutes of the water, I would eat, otherwise I would know I just wanted something to do.

Ultimately, it is "eat when you're hungry, and as much as your body needs, until you're not hungry anymore." That's why you'll see all kind's of advice about what to eat and how to cook and what to avoid, but next to nothing on quantity or time. The trick is to find how much and when is right for you.

Tnail is offline Junior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I was wondering the same thing for awhile now, but as darienx19 said there is nothing on the site about quantity of food. So i started the eat when hungry and stop when satisfied, listening to my body. Its really worked.