Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wimmin soccer impressed me in Olympics page

Wimmin soccer impressed me in Olympics

Shop Now
    They play a purer game. They don't bitch and dive nearly as much as the men, actually almost not at all. After a foul they keep it moving. And they're really skilled, it's a really good product to watch.

It's really refreshing to see, sometimes way too much bullshit gets in the way of the sport in the men's game.

Congrats on the GOLD, USA!!! Morgan and Hope!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    I agree, they are way badass. You should try to catch the semifinal game they played against Canada, won it in double OT.

Quote Originally Posted by sjmc View Post
    I agree, they are way badass. You should try to catch the semifinal game they played against Canada, won it in double OT.
    Watched it, it was sick. What do you think of that 6 second call??

Morgan blew me away in the Japan game.

Well you're a better fan than I -- I only started watching at OT. But I looked up an article about it online, and it sounds pretty messed up that the ref made the call without ever having given the goalie a previous warning or something. Apparently Wambach was counting out loud next to the ref to pressure her (which is normal when the team is losing), and she says when she got to '10' the ref blew the whistle. http://www.thespec.com/sports/olympi...n-baffles-many

Well you're a better fan than I -- I only started watching at OT. But I looked up an article about it online, and it sounds pretty messed up that the ref made the call without ever having given the goalie a previous warning or something. Apparently Wambach was counting out loud next to the ref to pressure her (which is normal when the team is losing), and she says when she got to '10' the ref blew the whistle. Six-second goalkeeper rule that probably cost Canada

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    I've played soccer most of my life, and was a goalie in college. Watching the game, I had no idea what was called. I see the 6second rule called a lot in indoor, but rarely in outdoor. On the other hand, if Canada was trying to stall then it was called correctly.

The missed handball in the Japan game was quite interesting. I hate when a ref's call/no call ends likely deciding a game.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Can't stand diveball myself

I play soccer with my friends kids and it's fun tho
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

spacey47 is offline Senior Member
    I won the olympic sweep at work and got 2 tickets to the Womens football final

The guy who came third got 6!

still compared to the joke game known as handball(both genders) its not all bad!

SoccerGrok is offline Senior Member
    As a girls/womens coach, I concur that the womens game is purer. They are also more technical than the men IMHO. Yes, the game may be played at a slower pace, but it is more enjoyable.

As opposed to watching all the crap in the Mens game(see Dado above) Yes, the officials make errors(the game is harder than it looks), but when was the last time you ever saw/heard an official tell a player what an oaf they were for missing that shot, etc...easy to be an armchair official. players make mistakes all the time. So do referees. Give em a break! we lose thousands of young officials all the time, due to overzealous fans, parents, and coaches.
    Free your mind, and your Grok will follow!

Vanbiesbrouck is offline Junior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by The Return of Dado View Post
    Watched it, it was sick. What do you think of that 6 second call??
    That call was bonkers, but the ref's dad claimed that the goalie was warned twice. FWIW. Still, it's a reasonably bush league call, and it's never really seen at the highest level. You also rarely see it because most top goalies are smart enough to avoid it. She could have laid the ball down & the clock on that call stops; you'll see a lot of top goalies roll the ball out in front of them, waste time that way, and they know they'll never be called for timewasting when it's 'open' play. It's common for goalies to take a yellow on a goal kick for time wasting; but on that play, part of the error was on the ref for calling it when it didn't need to be, but, also it's a bit on the goalie for not being smart enough not to do that.

Canada had a right to feel jobbed, but, you play the ref into the game, and you have to live the with results. Canada was up 1-0 and blew it, and was up 2-1 and gave up the lead (on an amazing shot by Megan Rapinoe, look it up, total ripper). So, yes, it should have stayed 3-2 at that point (the handball penalty kick was also reasonably dubious; people should remember it was the ensuing free kick that turned into a handball that caused the PK, it wasn't a direct PK for time wasting). About 5 minutes after that goal, Alex Morgan was taken down in the box and didn't get a PK that was legitimate, so in a perfect world there is no time wasting call, then that PK gets called and it's all on the level.

If you have a daughter who is into the game, show her this documentary, it's pretty amazing. HBO: Dare to Dream: Home

I was at the WWC opener in '98, and watched much of that World Cup live. US team was amazing, and Michele Akers ranks in my top 5 toughest athletes of all time, male or female. She's incredible; Grok would have been proud.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerGrok View Post
    As a girls/womens coach, I concur that the womens game is purer. They are also more technical than the men IMHO. Yes, the game may be played at a slower pace, but it is more enjoyable.

Give em a break! we lose thousands of young officials all the time, due to overzealous fans, parents, and coaches.
    Agree on the second part. Yelling at the ref constantly kills me...99% of the time it's a team's fault first, and the ref second.

On the first, I'm with you halfway. At the high end (US, Germany & Norway in past years, Japan recently), the women's game is fun to watch, and I've long been in awe of the mentality of the US women's national team, they are so steely. Once you get below that top level, however, I have a hard time watching it. A lot of shorter passes, slower running, a bit of an inability to hit quality long balls...the drop of in quality is more noticeable.

Women's basketball is more of a pure (to it's roots) sport than the men's game is, since you get people moving & passing instead of just running isolation sets & jacking up 3s all day. Women's soccer doesn't have entirely that same difference, but it is somewhat similar, I'll give you that. When you are watching the US women play, it is quality, technical play at a high level. When you get down the ranks, the game seems to really slow down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast