Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Palm Oil (vs Coconut Oil) page

FinallyFixed is offline Junior Member

I have a friend who is VERY new to PB, just starting the new way of eating last week. She has asked me about coconut oil, which from reading the posts I feel as though I am very well versed : ) However she is asking about palm oil as well, as it is also on the tropical traditions website...but I don't know anything about it.......Thoughts?!!?

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member

Just do a search on this site. Did you try?

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/palm-oil-nutrition/

Cheers!

Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Thx Sungrazer!

Whenever I try to search on here, I get really confused because a bunch diff stuff pops up & it's all jumbled together (could be my work computer because I also get script errors whenever I'm on MDA)...any tips on using the search function on here?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

I'm a huge fan of Tropical Traditions Gold Label virgin coconut oil. I keep meaning to try out their palm oil, but I'm afraid it just won't be as yummy as the coconut oil and I'll have to force myself to finish the container. (Oh yeah, I suppose I could get a small jar instead of the gallon size!)

In case you haven't discovered it, here's the info page on palm oil from the Tropical Traditions website:

http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/or...shortening.htm

Awesome, I'll take a look & also forward it over to her...

I've only been primal for about 2-1/2 - 3 months & LOVE IT...when I did my initial "donate" everything in the pantry & make a trip to Whole Foods to restock : ) I did buy coconut oil, but I did not buy the virgin only because initially smelling it (very coconut-y smell) I figured it would be better to get the non-virgin to cook veggies/eggs in but now I am thinking that I would really like the virgin version. I don't do sweet anymore, but VERY occassionally I'll whip up some crepes or apple muffins that call for coconut oil & am thinking that the virgin would be AMAZING in there due to the flavor!

Athena is offline Senior Member

Too many environmental issues with palm oil...in indonesia they are tearing down the rainforest to build palm oil fields. too sad. I would not support that. Coconut oil on the other hand is fantastic

Longquan is offline Member

I tried Red Palm Oil once and quickly switched back to Coconut Oil. IMO it tastes disgusting. I think Dr. Harris at PaNu also said it's quite high in PUFA.

Catroast is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Athena View Post
    Too many environmental issues with palm oil...in indonesia they are tearing down the rainforest to build palm oil fields. too sad. I would not support that. Coconut oil on the other hand is fantastic
    I read that this isn't an issue anymore since legislature was passed to preserve rainforest there. I also heard that palm oil fields are highly efficient compared to other crops, such as corn, yielding something like 30 times as much oil, i.e. a 1 acre palm oil field can replace a 30 acre corn field. In addition, Indonesia is not the sole producer of palm oil and the other places in the world that produce it do not have this conflict.

That being said, I just tried red palm oil and the taste and smell is almost unbearable. Blech. I'm with you on sticking with coconut oil.

Kane Augustus is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonmamma View Post
    I'm a huge fan of Tropical Traditions Gold Label virgin coconut oil. I keep meaning to try out their palm oil, but I'm afraid it just won't be as yummy as the coconut oil and I'll have to force myself to finish the container. (Oh yeah, I suppose I could get a small jar instead of the gallon size!)

In case you haven't discovered it, here's the info page on palm oil from the Tropical Traditions website:

Palm Shortening, Organic - Tropical Traditions
    Palm oil has a very strong, peculiar taste. I've found that it does better when it's halfed with coconut oil. If it isn't, then the taste is a bit over-powering. Adding onions to palm oil helps to soften the oddity of the taste, too.

Other than that, I would say to go easy on palm oil because, while it is extremely high in anti-oxidants, it is also a source of palmitic acid, which has been demonstrated to increase LDL levels (see: The Paleo Solution, by Robb Wolf).

Coconut oil seems to be the best overall choice for healthy oils.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Longquan View Post
    I tried Red Palm Oil once and quickly switched back to Coconut Oil. IMO it tastes disgusting. I think Dr. Harris at PaNu also said it's quite high in PUFA.
    Not really. It's 10-11% PUFA. Lower than olive oil I think (I find widely varying numbers for olive oil).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast